All reviewsmobile homeon siteanimal parkdirect accessbeautiful beachswimming poolgreat sitelow tidegames roomkids clubfishall ageschickenhigh seasonlast yeartoilet blocktennis courts
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Booked this online about 8 months in advance requested 2 large pitches together as we were travelling with family and this was all in order when we arrived. Pitches varied in size and with or without borders depending on what you paid. We had large hedges all round giving plenty of shade. Pitch was large enough for our caravan, awning with annex, car and washing line so very large compared to some Spanish sites we have been on.

Beach was a 2 minute walk from our pitch – cold showers just inside the site to rinse off with a large gate that closed at 11pm to avoid unwelcome visitors onto the site. You could walk to the neighbouring village when the tide was out – or swim back if it was in which nearly happened in our case – so be warned!

On site facilities were of the highest standard – lots of large toilet/shower blocks, constantly being cleaned. Laundry facilities – wifi area which you paid for, but to be honest was a bit erratic. There was a tv booster system on the electricity hook-up posts, presumably only Spanish TV, not sure.

Strict noise restrictions which were obeyed there was a nighclub for teenages which was no problem. Swimming pool (swimming hats required), supermarket, souvenir shop, beauty salon, doctors. Outside gym, inside games room, tennis court. Restaurant and takeway – we did try the pizza but they were only out of the freezer so didn’t bother again. Chips were better value for money. Roast chickens available to buy but must order 2 hours in advance.

Just outside the site every Wednesday a fantastic market. Every 20 minutes or so also just outside the site was a little tourist train which could take you into town for 4 euros return.

Great site, would return if in the area, our only 2 minor issue would be for those campers that like their electric gadgets as on 6 amp we did find we used to pop the electric just by keeping the hot water on and then maybe putting the kettle on. The second would be no evening entertainment as it does say in the brochure for high season The only entertainment was karaoke once a week which I don’t think that can count.

Weather in August was just how we wanted it, not so hot that you couldn’t sight see during the day (Valencia last year, beautiful but just too hot!), but warm enough to sit out without putting on a jumper.

Also note, site very dark at night, so bring torches. A definite site to bring bikes. Security very good, guard at the entrance 24/7 checking the sticker inside your car.

5  Thank JULIED444
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Having never camped on the continent - we were nervous what to expect, but can safely say after 10 nights here we would return. The highlights - BEACH, beach, beach! Apart from that, well organised, very spanish, spotless toilet blocks, lovely sports field, very safe environment for the kids to free-range. Low points - bit 'battery farming', packed in to capacity, actually, thats all. But we were there at end of August so expected it to be busy. Would happily return and having wandered the whole site even know our favourite pitch number. Lovely holiday for us, thanks Playa Joyel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
A L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Camping Playa Joyel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear family,

Thanks for your good advise about Camping Playa Joyel!!

Your opinions are always very important for us!!

New for 2014: Ris Surf School has now an office inside our Campsite. They offer Surf lessons, surf equipment rentals, snorkel, SUP,.... a big choice of activities!

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Superb beach and swimming pool facilities were good. First camping holiday in Europe beautiful surrounding areas loved Laredo beach junction 174 I think. Came here with our children from 4 to 16. We arrived later so had only 5 pitches to choose from the whole camp site! Pitch we had was fab just round the corner of park nearest to the laundry area great for our 4 year old who would bike round and we can oversee from our pitch. Unfortunate for us first five days was hell due to the opposite neighbour ( 2 lads, 17 year old German boys, parents were staying in an apartment near the camping site). The two boys attracted gang of British teenagers who would be hanging around there some part of the day/evenings hence we were the victims of having to listen to whatever teenagers rebels get up to at that age (drinking games, hanging out inside their motorhome, listening to their foul mouthed voices). Being woken up by rowdy druken boys/girls, broken bottles and loud music every night. We are quite laid back family so it did take us five days till we actually complaint to company and address the 2 boys. After this it did improve and we did begin to settle and enjoy the site. Ten days into our holidays I needed to buy bits of little fun pressies for my daughter's 16th birthday I decided to go the to campsite gift shop (selling all overprice items swim wear, toys, accessories of camping, towels etc) and after buying 9 items was charge 35.90 Euros. To my dismay I calculated again back in our tent how much I spent even the items that did not have price labels I guessed I may have been overcharged. In my limited Spanish I bravely returned to question this and rightly I was given back 13.00 Euros. With no apologies!! That for me was the end of the Playa Joyel,I lost heart to know that they would try to steal money of holiday makes. So, I suggest you all make sure you know what you are buying and even at the grocery shop they would try too am sure I felt they tried to take 1 or 2 euro as I had to ask at one time.

The Zoo place is just hazard for children touching the animals looked worn out and people walking in pile of animal faeces around the area was not really ideal. Its just a really tired campsite which does it best to accommodate their customers. Mainly for Spanish holiday makers as Spanish cinema in the tennis court is pretty much one man band setting up a screen with two wooden poles with white sheet. Bring your own chair. Problems with projector one night so Smurfs film was cancelled. I have to say our four year old enjoyed it but as for the teenagers not much.

Zumba classes were excellent and really benefitted from the sessions.

If you are going to stay here I would visit Bilbao city and go to the museum.

Our girls liked the campsite and would like to return but if we did it would probably be in another less crowded and quieter campsite although having the beach and beautiful sea was fantastic.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Approximately 45 minutes from the port of Santander ferry terminal, first impression was the camping pitches looked scruffy with quite a lot of older European vehicles and caravans, pitches are close together with narrow lanes. However if you look through this the site is well organised and well equipped and a superb beach on the door step for body boarding. Good clean facilities, good shop, spit roast chicken and chips counter, decent pool (although our boys were not keen on wearing swimming caps- mandatory) and the beach was more fun. Noja and Isla very Spanish resorts within 10 mins walk. Stayed 5 nights before heading to France as planned and we enjoyed our stay but were ready to move on.

Room Tip: Try Isla for lunch, menu del dia good value deals.
1  Thank ThePowerNapper
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Having initially thought that a large campsite was not really our kind of holiday, we decided to give it a go anyway. We arrived on a Saturday without having made a booking, but the friendly staff did everything possible to accommodate us.
The pitches were large and most of them were well shaded... I would recommend taking a few wind breaks to use as screens if you like a bit of privacy.
Ablution blocks were very clean, thanks to the hardworking and smiley crew of cleaners.
Didn't use the restaurant (other than for a coffee in the morning whilst checking emails) and the shop was great for bread,eggs, etc. We did most of our shopping at the Lupo supermarket, located in Arogonos, just a short drive away. Very reasonably priced, with an excellent selection of fish and a good butcher.
The location was fantastic, with access to an amazing beach and loads of interesting sites and villages just a short drive away.
The kids enjoyed playing and interacting with kids of many other nationalities and we loved that they were able to do so in a safe environment. We were so impressed and hope to be back next year for more of the same.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family