Glen Afric Country Lodge
Kassaboera Lodge(Schoemansville)
US$75
  • Breakfast included
Lanseria Country Estate(Lanseria)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$63
Valverde Country Hotel(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$71
  • Pool
Riverview Spa(Muldersdrift)
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewswild at heartelephant walkelephant interactiontv seriesbig catsvolunteer programlion cubsafrican elephantsfilm setstable blockgame reserveostrich steaksunday lunchdream come truecouple of nightsgreat memoryam writing this review
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here for a week and wished it could have been longer.
The staff were welcoming and accommodating from the minute we arrived. The reception team are lovely.

Ate at the restaurant and have to say the ostrich steak with chilli chocolate. Sauce was yummy, only surpassed by the chocolate mousse!

The boys in the bar are also lovely, nothing is too much trouble, i must recommend the. Don petrol with Amarula (think boozy milkshake).

We fed the elephants on Sunday, which was really cool, as well as doing an elephant walk and lion cub interaction.

Definitely coming back, thanks Everyone!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank JimiBrighton
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We went as a group, and 2 of us stayed in one of the houses by the hippo lake and the rest stayed in a "tent". Being able to drive around the lodge with animals at every corner is great, although we got lost many times driving between reception, house and tent - we ended up on a film set for a Norwegian childrens film at one point! Perhaps some sort of basic map would be useful when checking in.

The tent was good value for money with its own bathroom attached and excellent woodland setting. The house was even better value, with 2 bathrooms, a large bedroom, a big lounge and kitchen area and 2 balconies looking out onto the lake. We decided to eat as a group in the house in the evening, unfortunately the kitchen utensils were very limited and it was not as practical as it should have been. There is also no hot water tap to the kitchen sink, for washing up etc. The electric sockets around the kitchen units also appear to be very loose and dodgy! But the rest of the house was in very good condition and respresented excellent value for money. I just wish we could have seen the hippos coming out of the lake at dusk.

The giraffes, hippos, willdebeest etc roaming around the lodge were a real high point. I drove back from dropping the others at the tent around 8pm and on return to the house there was a hippo staring into my headlights on the lawn by my front door. However the caged animals (tiger, lion etc) behind the house seemed very out of place here and demonstrated a sad contrast between the two.

The pool and reception area were good, although we didn't spend much time there apart from breakfast (which was very nice) and for lounging around to get some wifi in the afternoon.

Overall a very good experience which I would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Oohbratt
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We were lucky enough to embark on a trip from the UK to SA to celebrate my best friends wedding which was taking place at Glen Afric.
We had the trip of a lifetime. We stayed in Lake View cottage and could not believe our eyes when we saw the hippos at the end of the garden! The accommodation was lovely, clean and spacious. The food in the resteraunt was delicious.
Vicki, Les and all of the staff at Glen Afric were more than welcoming. Their knowledge, patience, passion and love for the animals and their jobs is undeniably brilliant.
We got to walk with the amazing elephants, and on a seperate occasion the cheeky and playful lion cubs.
As huge fans of Wild at Heart we were thrilled to be taken around the set, it was all so real.
Then there was the wedding. As a wedding photographer I was completely and untterly in my element. It was like walking into a Pinterest board. If any of you out there are looking at getting married there....do it!!!! Have a look at the days photographs on my website so that you can see for your self how very wonderful it was.

Such a truly unforgettable experience and worth every single penny!

Room Tip: The Lake View Rooms are all lovely and tented accommodation puts you right in the wild!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jodie C
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights at the cottage could not fault it . Set right by the hippo lake . Sitting on the deck with a perfect view . then came Restaurant good menu but took 4 attempts to get a meal run out of nearly everything not good as it's a mid to high end place . When the food came it was tasteless . Then game drive ? Took you to lions tigers leopards & hyena all in cages. like driving round a zoo . But did enjoy the stay .
I Would not stay here again though

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Psm1963
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My husband and I booked our accommodation here for our 40th wedding anniversary with it being the final part of our three week holiday to South Africa.

After initial issues with our accommodation, we had a wonderful stay here.

We were fortunate to meet the owners of Glen Afric Jenny and John Brooker who were lovely and very hospitable. Several of the staff were lovely, Nicole on front desk, Chene our ranger, Stanley in the bar and Francois who had the pleasure of taking us to and fro to our bungalow near the hippo dam .

The view from the terrace outside the bar never failed to take my breath away, and to see the wildlife roaming before your eyes was very special.

We did a game drive, walked with the elephants, interacted with the lovely 11 month old, and quite big, lion cubs but up there at the top of my favourite experiences, was a visit to see Bailey the three legged Cheetah.

We also took in the tour of the Wild at Heart set, which was also one of my favourite experiences, I only wish the series was still being filmed as so many of us loved it.

Visiting here was an experience I shall never forget, and would I go back? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple