“Albion/Scottish triumph”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Anderson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fortrose
The Anderson
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fortrose
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Albion/Scottish triumph”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just had a meal here. Not great looking from the outside but boy how you can be fooled. Superb meal, superb service, great atmosphere and great value. I can't think of a bad element. This brings the best of US orientated service to a remote venue. The whole place should be very proud. I will be back (not Ernie!) Apart from the food it has a whisky choice of over 250, over 100 beers and a wine menu that I did not explore but if you are after pie and chips with lager, probably not where you want to be but if you want great food and service at a reasonable price, go!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eddie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Walking through Fortrose with my family, my Mum was a little unsure about The Anderson from the outside but that first impression didn't last very long at all!!!

When we entered and asked about booking a table for four that evening (a Saturday, the day before Fathers Day) the friendly member of staff gave us a guided tour of the formal dining room, the 'Whiskey Bar' & the main bar (which allows dogs too!). We opted for the Whiskey Bar, which has over 240 single malt whiskeys including some from silent distillery's. They offer 120 continental beers/ lagers & usually 8 real ales!

When we arrived that evening we were greeted very warmly & shown to our table with menu's. What can I say - the food at The Anderson is 5*!!! It showcases the best of Scottish & Black Isle produce often with some interesting international twists. For starters my Mum, Twin sis & I opted for the Baked Oysters & my Dad went for the Squid with Wasabee mayo. I'm a HUGE fan of Oysters but have never had them baked & have to say they were exceptional. I had the Red Venison Fillets for my main, which I asked to be done rare, it came out perfect, lovely & tender.

As we were here for a Fathers Day meal I splashed out on a flight of three double whiseys, the Tullibardine, Glen Mhor & Craigellachie. At £34 they weren't cheap but definitely worth it! Many of the whiskey's are on the chalk board but there's also a book of tasting notes to help with what could be an overwhelming choice! Also a nice touch, the owner (whom the pub is named after) came and chatted with us about our unusual choices!

All three of the dining rooms were exceptionally busy but the amazing atmosphere, tip top staff & service couldn't be faulted.

My family & I will definitely be returning, I can't recommend this gem highly enough!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Homely, child-friendly bar, with a hot stove and a warm welcome. The real surprise is the quality of the food and the care that goes in to it.

The bar couldn't be bettered as a source of fine whiskies and ales.

Even the burgers are great.

• Stayed March 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I went out for a meal with my friends and we were really looking forward to the food and drink. We were taken to our table and given menus. I was looking forward to a good cold lager but only had ales which did not taste very nice and the wine tasted like cheep value Plonk. Us and one other table were in and very morbid music was on and let the mood of the group down. We had a look at the menu and it was solving a puzzle, we were flicking from one page to another wondering what were the mains and starters, but eventually solved this puzzle. We had starters which were really nice, mussels, yum. But the atmosphere was like being in a funeral parlour, very dark and creepy. We got our mains, service was slow and waitress was a bit snappy. The food was not great my burger was like the last burger on a BBQ that you forgot about. So just a bun, Salad and coleslaw for me. I think the owner with the beard served us and was extremely rude and made smart remarks about how everyone didn't order starters and how we were like school children and we were not allowed to share " as we should buy our own" I'm sorry but that's what people do when going out for a meal! Not everyone wants a 2/3 course meal! Nice to share! Some of us had pudding and we got cream but its aerosol cream as you can taste the difference! Once we were done we all felt depressed and were dying to leave. We finished our drinks out of manners! We never wanted to complain as we wanted to have a fun good night and not dull the mood anymore! But on the plus side we ended up in the new Allangrange Arms in Munlochy which was bouncing with crack and felt like we were at a wedding reception, not a funeral!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank George D
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

to start you are greeted by flaking paint and dreery windows a very unclean exterior, on entering a dated interior, whisky selection plenty ales and beers great! quantity over quality for the place the food yes its award winning but when you pop in the ''pub" your occasionaly greeted by a man with a beard who would be better off in an office. no people skills and upon speaking to a member of staff in the local shop we found out it was the owner/manager by the name jim, tip for you jim seek alternative employment! will maybe return if we hear that is the case no vision and a very closed mind, plenty more choice just along the road...

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank Davie S
Aboyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We decided to to back to the Anderson after a gap of about 4 years, to celebrate our sister's birthday. We were forewarned to expect to wait! We must have sat at our table for nearly 30 minutes before anyone welcomed us and took our drinks order. Not a very professional start! Ordering drinks was a bit chaotic, but we got there in the end.
The menu and range of choice was very impressive-the problem being deciding what to choose. The food when it arrived can only be fairly described as superb.
For a table of 8 of us, three courses, lots of drinks and 4 bottles of wine we were less than £35/head, which we thought was excellent value.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Having lived near The Anderson, I thought it about time to try out the restaurant. They have just reopened after some sort of refurbishment, although I am unsure to which part of the premises (bar, restaurant, hotel rooms).
We had a choice when reserving a table to sit in the Whisky Bar or the dining room. We went for the dining room (it's not massive, so I recommend phoning in advance).
There was a large party that ordered just before us, so we had to wait a bit longer for the food. No worries.
The menu is amazing and extremely creative! Plenty of choice to serve even the fussiest of eaters (decent burger menu...complete with a £25 competition burger...you know, eat the whole meal in under 20 mins and get it free, t shirt, name on wall of shame...).
We are on a post holiday, skint until payday budget, so skipped starters (good choices £6-7 each).
Main meals come with potatoes (sautéed veg £2 extra).
My boyfriend opted for the beef fillet tips with cacharel blue cheese sauce and mushrooms.(£14) He loved the it!
I went for the pheasant pie (also had black pudding and a few mushrooms in it) (£12) Came with chips. Rich taste to the runny gravy inside. Pheasant is new to me, so was well impressed.
I was stuffed. We opted to skip the desserts this time (a rarity!). There was a really good dessert menu with a fairly large selection from simple ice cream (£1.50 a scoop) to Anne's American Crack Pie with ice cream. Rice pudding, sticky toffee pudding, apple cake and the obligatory cheese board were also on the menu (along with a couple other choices). But they were a bit steep at £6 each.
The main meals ranged from £12-27 with most around £17-20 ish.

I definitely recommend tryin this place if you are in the area. They use fresh, local produce and the menu varies frequently to accommodate what food they can get in. This was our one last treat before heading back to work and it was worth it!!

• Stayed January 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fortrose
Culloden House
Bunchrew House Hotel
Bunchrew House Hotel
#5 of 34 in Inverness
Premier Inn Inverness Centre (River Ness) Hotel

Been to The Anderson? Share your experiences!