“Quirky, Wonderful”
Review of The Anderson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fortrose
The Anderson
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fortrose
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Quirky, Wonderful”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

There were no spare tables so we went to the bar. Loud, cheerful, friendly. The table was ready, so we went through into a peaceful, almost genteel dining room. I had Porchetta, my wife had Guinea Fowl two-ways, my son had Duck, all wonderful. My wife said that it was one of the best meals she had ever had. Staff were genuinely friendly, and the owner showed that he cared if customers enjoyed it. Would go again tomorrow, but it is in Fortrose and I am in Bristol.

Room Tip: Cannot comment on rooms. We had a meal only.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Daily direct flights between Bristol and Inverness -- what are you waiting for? Thanks for the kind words, and I hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Yes it is a bit old fashioned and a little tatty, but the welcome is warm and the craic is good. The food we had was excellent from a large and varied menu, mostly local produce, and the wine was good too. Room was a bit cramped but the bed was comfortable and clean. It's not cheap but it was fun to stay there. I am not a whisky buff but I can imagine that it would be great if you were! And I thought Jim did a good job. Some Brits just don't like Americans, do they? I am not one of those.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main streeet are noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for the kind words about The Anderson. Re: your comment about Brits & Americans, I’m guessing that you refer to some previous TA reviews. Yeah, I’ve noticed that there’s something about anonymous Internet posting that brings out the racist in some people. You’d think that sort of talk would be filtered out, but happy stories don’t sell newspapers, do they? Hope to see you again!
Kirriemuir, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Nine of we golfers descended on the Anderson a few days ago. Some of our party who are used to more luxurious places were slightly aprehensive but the food - wonderful, beer --excellent, whisky-- unparalleled choice 266 at last count, atmosphere-- great soon won them over.
This is a wonderful individual place run unconventially by our host Jim.
In a increasingly bland world this is a fabulously different experience

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kirriejim
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just had a meal here. Not great looking from the outside but boy how you can be fooled. Superb meal, superb service, great atmosphere and great value. I can't think of a bad element. This brings the best of US orientated service to a remote venue. The whole place should be very proud. I will be back (not Ernie!) Apart from the food it has a whisky choice of over 250, over 100 beers and a wine menu that I did not explore but if you are after pie and chips with lager, probably not where you want to be but if you want great food and service at a reasonable price, go!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eddie D
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Walking through Fortrose with my family, my Mum was a little unsure about The Anderson from the outside but that first impression didn't last very long at all!!!

When we entered and asked about booking a table for four that evening (a Saturday, the day before Fathers Day) the friendly member of staff gave us a guided tour of the formal dining room, the 'Whiskey Bar' & the main bar (which allows dogs too!). We opted for the Whiskey Bar, which has over 240 single malt whiskeys including some from silent distillery's. They offer 120 continental beers/ lagers & usually 8 real ales!

When we arrived that evening we were greeted very warmly & shown to our table with menu's. What can I say - the food at The Anderson is 5*!!! It showcases the best of Scottish & Black Isle produce often with some interesting international twists. For starters my Mum, Twin sis & I opted for the Baked Oysters & my Dad went for the Squid with Wasabee mayo. I'm a HUGE fan of Oysters but have never had them baked & have to say they were exceptional. I had the Red Venison Fillets for my main, which I asked to be done rare, it came out perfect, lovely & tender.

As we were here for a Fathers Day meal I splashed out on a flight of three double whiseys, the Tullibardine, Glen Mhor & Craigellachie. At £34 they weren't cheap but definitely worth it! Many of the whiskey's are on the chalk board but there's also a book of tasting notes to help with what could be an overwhelming choice! Also a nice touch, the owner (whom the pub is named after) came and chatted with us about our unusual choices!

All three of the dining rooms were exceptionally busy but the amazing atmosphere, tip top staff & service couldn't be faulted.

My family & I will definitely be returning, I can't recommend this gem highly enough!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Homely, child-friendly bar, with a hot stove and a warm welcome. The real surprise is the quality of the food and the care that goes in to it.

The bar couldn't be bettered as a source of fine whiskies and ales.

Even the burgers are great.

• Stayed March 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I went out for a meal with my friends and we were really looking forward to the food and drink. We were taken to our table and given menus. I was looking forward to a good cold lager but only had ales which did not taste very nice and the wine tasted like cheep value Plonk. Us and one other table were in and very morbid music was on and let the mood of the group down. We had a look at the menu and it was solving a puzzle, we were flicking from one page to another wondering what were the mains and starters, but eventually solved this puzzle. We had starters which were really nice, mussels, yum. But the atmosphere was like being in a funeral parlour, very dark and creepy. We got our mains, service was slow and waitress was a bit snappy. The food was not great my burger was like the last burger on a BBQ that you forgot about. So just a bun, Salad and coleslaw for me. I think the owner with the beard served us and was extremely rude and made smart remarks about how everyone didn't order starters and how we were like school children and we were not allowed to share " as we should buy our own" I'm sorry but that's what people do when going out for a meal! Not everyone wants a 2/3 course meal! Nice to share! Some of us had pudding and we got cream but its aerosol cream as you can taste the difference! Once we were done we all felt depressed and were dying to leave. We finished our drinks out of manners! We never wanted to complain as we wanted to have a fun good night and not dull the mood anymore! But on the plus side we ended up in the new Allangrange Arms in Munlochy which was bouncing with crack and felt like we were at a wedding reception, not a funeral!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank George D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fortrose
Culloden House
Bunchrew House Hotel
Bunchrew House Hotel
#6 of 34 in Inverness
Premier Inn Inverness Centre (River Ness) Hotel

Been to The Anderson? Share your experiences!