“Whiskey, Beer, Food, and Location on the Black Isle!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Anderson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fortrose
The Anderson
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fortrose
Tuolumne, California
“Whiskey, Beer, Food, and Location on the Black Isle!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This food and grog gem was such a fortuitous finding that we stayed an extra night. The Anderson's cuisine is inspired by just a little touch of quirkiness that makes the food all the better. Whether that is due to the chef owner being American is hard to say, but everything was delicious. The guinea fowl, cooked two ways (sous vide and roasted) was all the bird should be, while the venison filet was moist, appropriately gamy, and quite tender. Side dishes include fresh vegetables that go beyond the usual Scottish sides. And how about that bar?! A number of very decent real ales, distributed through obviously well-cleaned pipes, hundreds of malt whiskeys, the best Belgian collection in one place I've ever seen, and a fabulous wine list. All in all, a place worth the detour and visit. The room itself was a suitable inn bedroom, with a very nice bathroom, good bathroom supplies, comfortable bed, and easy to reach after an evening of food and drink. The owners reach out to make your experience at their establishment special, and it was difficult to leave.

1 Thank Shelly D
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank for the kind words. Re: Anne's quirky kitchen touches being due to our being American, all I can say is that 1) we were quirky even when we were in America and 2) with ingredients like we get up here, it's hard not to let ones' imagination run wild! Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
skelmorlie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed last week and found this a unusual and pretentious place with a wine list that topped the prices at 160'00 and the list for "by the glass" had no prices .Was served a bowl of mussels that were so off that they should never have left the kitchen.There after the rest of the meal was all right if you excuse the split sauce served with a steak.Also find that restaurants that charge extra for vegetables are a rip-off. A pleasant if Basil Faultyesque host who was most excited about the live music which was more suited to a wake thereafter a pleasant nights sleep and reasonable breakfast. Shan't rush back!

1 Thank SkelmorlieBruce
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for choosing The Anderson to be your inaugural TripAdvisor review! Your visit was during the final week of the season for mussels at The Anderson, and I apologize for your first bowl not being up to snuff (sniff…?). I trust the replacement bowl – which was both from a different batch and source – were to your liking. In fact, I know they were, because my manager reported that you and he had a conversation so amicable that he was astounded at the negativity of your review. A word to TA readers about Smiling Assassins: In the Old Days, customer complaints were taken up with Management at the time of the problem, and a mutually-satisfying resolution would be sought. Guests who are given the opportunity to resolve complaints yet do not do so in favour of writing negative commentary anonymously on Internet review sites are effectively lying to the establishment. This behaviour is a serious step backward for human relations and should be carefully considered before leaving the establishment or clicking the Send button. Alas, the broken béarnaise sauce with your rib eye steak was the unfortunate meeting of conflicting needs here in the Highlands: sauce with steak and a piping-hot plate. At times, our not-from-a-jar béarnaise does break on the hot plate. As a result, we have begun to use a ramekin on the side, demoting the mighty béarnaise to the realm of lowly dipping sauce. Another word to TA readers about the wine list at The Anderson: Our wines do not top out at £160, they currently top out at £365 for a 1985 Château Margaux. The implication that our wines are expensive is borne out neither by our selection of 29 wines under £30 nor the description of our wine prices as “charitable” by a Professional Reviewer for the Sunday Herald. The same Professional Reviewer, by the way, who described us not as “pretentious” but as “modest.” A last word to TA readers about our Traditional Music Sessions: the majority of the tunes in these sessions are seminal to the Highland way of life. Anyone who wishes to inject additional musical ideas into the sessions is welcome to join in!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Warm welcomes. The most refined selection of drinks I have had the pleasure of enjoying. Food is fantastic. Everything about it makes you feel you are experiencing something special. The dining room has a quirky 1930's opulence about it, felt I should have been dining with Clark gable and will rogers. The price is very reasonable as long as you realise the quality of the purchase is of the highest order. If you bought that quality of beer and food in London it would be twice as much. Artisan beer, fine wine and fantastic food and a clean and fresh bedroom to go up to. Thoroughly spoilt every time. The owner, Mr Anderson himself, happens to be hilarious also. Five stars.

Room Tip: You won't care where you sleep after enjoying a wonderful meal and a few artisan Belgian beers.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DreadX
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thanks for the kind words, and for noticing that we tend to over-spend on quality food ingredients and that I am truly one of the planet's mot entertaining people. Alas, those points are lost on many of our amateur reviewers in search of their 15 minutes of [anonymous] fame. See you again soon, I hope!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I didn't know what to expect when I drew up in my car on a rainy afternoon in Fortrose. I suppose I just expected another generic country hotel selling bog standard cooking lager and mediocre unimaginative food. Instead I found somewhere with the most incredible beer menu I have ever seen with hundreds of beers from around the world and fabulous imaginative food for a really good price. A really forward thinking attitude all round, a great atmosphere and a lovely quaint look to the place. I just wished I could have stayed there longer. SUPERB!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We've stayed at the Anderson a few times now, and I think it is a unique place in the North of Scotland. The rooms are fine - some with some quite interesting historic furniture - food is excellent, and you will not find a better bar in North of Scotland (and I live in Edinburgh, and it is probably as good as anything there) - fantastic selection of whisky (including good value 'flights' of three selected whiskies), really well-kept beer on draft, and the best selection of Belgian beer I've seen outside of Belgium. And a friendly, highly enthusiastic owner.

anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
We look forward to seeing you again. (And I promise my mother didn't write this review!)
Beaconsfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

6-9th June 2013, small, quaint pub building on the corner of the main road through Fortrose; my first impression was dulled when in their small car park I smelt cooking fat, if you can't park in their tight parking area there is public parking nearby.

I found the hotel noisy not so much from the street but from the bar and also from televisions in adjacent bedrooms; all went quiet by midnight but not much good if you need an early night; ear plugs essential.

Food was average; the delicacy of sea bream was in my view ruined by cooking fat however the starter mussels were delicious; on my first morning I was shocked to receive a "full English" breakfast with NO bacon; who ever heard of a full English breakfast without bacon?

Redemption came at the second and third breakfast with bacon and although I was unimpressed enough with the cooking to eat elsewhere on my second evening I was served an excellent burger on my third evening; good also that salad can be ordered in place of chips

Would I stay there again? On balance definitely not, I would seek out one of the B&Bs in Fortrose.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter J
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your opinion of The Anderson on TripAdvisor, and for returning on your third night to eat with us. It’s a shame that you felt the need for earplugs (which we would have gotten for you had you mentioned a noise problem), but we cannot make any apologies for having two exceptional and popular bars. They are, in fact, the reason why many people visit us. If you need the number of a B&B in Fortrose for your next visit, I’d be only glad to give it to you for our mutual benefit. A word to TA readers on breakfast at The Anderson: our extensive (and award-winning) breakfast menu offers set breakfasts for which each ingredient is listed; or guests may choose individual ingredients in order to concoct their own breakfasts. Another word to TA readers on cooking fat: there typically is an aroma of frying oil in the air when you are situated next door to a fish & chip shop, and The Anderson is no exception; also, in our own kitchen we deep-fry only using 100% canola (rapeseed) oil and sautée only using clarified butter or olive oil.
Lochcarron, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed here with my family and had a thoroughly enjoyable visit. Our three children ate earlier and were well looked after - plates were almost licked clean which was a first. My husband and I then had a particularly good dinner. The food is superb with a great deal of attention to detail on the preparation which I'm sure many wouldn't expect. The menu which changes daily consists of several favourites as well as some interesting creations all cooked fresh, on the premises by Anne Anderson. The Anderson staff are all friendly and efficient without being over attentive. There is an incredible selection of beer, whisky and wine - I can see why many travel for miles and it was certainly worth staying the night. The rooms are all clean and beds particularly comfortable. Breakfast was also excellent. Jim Anderson is a great host and we wish him all the best. We'll certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fortrose
Culloden House
Bunchrew House Hotel
Bunchrew House Hotel
#6 of 34 in Inverness
Premier Inn Inverness Centre (River Ness) Hotel

Been to The Anderson? Share your experiences!