“Very pleasant, ideal base”
Review of The Anderson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fortrose
The Anderson
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fortrose
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my Mother on our annual 'family pilgrimage' to the Black Isle. Originally chose the hotel as it accepted dogs and the previous hotel we'd stayed in no longer did. It's the 2nd year we've stayed and a good experience on both occasions. We've had a couple of issues re damp bed linen last year and the bed made up as a double when we booked a twin this year .....but... all was sorted at once, with good grace. I do think that the measure of a business is not what goes wrong, but how it is dealt with, and in this case they scored highly.

It is clean and welcoming with an eclectic taste in furniture and fittings that suits both the building and the owners! Service efficient and most helpful, with perceptible respect for us as The Customer. We had dinner in the bar and the menu was a fabulous mixture of local produce with an American twist. Imaginative presentation and delicious. We will return next year

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Anderson

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Hubby and I visited you again for another great meal. Ian was in foody heaven with your Fillet Steak and sauce and I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that you were able to mix and match my main course. In addition we had lovely desserts and waddled out of the pub after hubby decided to sample the alcohol on offer. We will see you again next year we hope for another great meal and atmosphere. It was a pity we were not there next week for the quiz. Batty, bonkers and brilliant. If you want to visit an eclectic eatery with excellent facilities, then this should be your choice.
Ian and Chris.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was a great find. The hotel was clean and comfortable with a fabulous selection of real ales and whiskies. The food was home made and delicious - the Viking Soup is superb. The staff cannot do enough for you - so friendly it was an absolute pleasure to stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Group of 8 stayed in the hotel for its extensive selection of fine ales, both local and international. Fantastic atmosphere in the bar, friendly locals and guests. Magnificent selection of alcohol (ale,whisky and wine) and very reasonably priced. Staff were very helpful and were very knowledgable regarding their drink deletion (in particular Jim, the hotel manager. A great host) The restaurant is charming and the food was wonderful. Excellent value for money. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Fortrose itself is a quaint village and is a only a few minutes from Chanonry point, an ideal location for dolphin spotting. I will definitely return to stay at the hotel as I thoroughly enjoyed my stay (and I have many for ales to try!)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SVTillman
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family chose The Anderson for a meal out on our short break on the Black Isle. The decor is eclectic and charming, and quite whimsical. The menu offered much choice and we loved our food. The portions are quite big but as it's so delicious, it did not matter to us at all!!!! The owner was very welcoming and open which was a lovely icebreaker. We left happy and content which helped us to forget the awful weather during our stay in Fortrose. Thanks guys!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Isabeau2013
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife & I decided to have a stay in the Black Isle during some of the best weather to grace Scotland since 2009. Friends were recommended the Anderson Hotel in Fortrose for best food and drink in the area. So I booked for 3 nights and we set off for a relaxing weekend.

We were not disappointed in the choice of accommodation. The hotel is one of the most welcoming we have ever stayed in, there is nothing spectacular about the rooms just to say that they are a good size, comfortable with a good sized bathroom and very clean.

The staff are top notch they are chatty, smiling and know their job well. The owners are very good at making you feel at home.

The menu is seasonal with dishes that are well proportioned and of superb quality matched by a wine list that goes well with the meal, again the staff are very knowledgeable about the best wines to suit your meal. The bar is one of the most extensively stocked for Belgian beers I have come across outside Belgium and is matched by the list of whiskeys you can sample anywhere.

All evening meals are prepared by Jim's wife who should be praised for her imaginative menu and preparation. The breakfast are a treat and will set you up for the rest of the day if your out and about.

Jim, the owner is a brilliant host and very engaging in his attitude, making the stay in the hotel a pleasure, some other hotels would do well to emulate this.

This is a good base to stay if your in the Black Isle and I couldn't recommend it more, no pretensions just brilliant service with good food and drink at reasonable prices.

Would we stay there again..........in a heart beat. Well done The Anderson.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wyatt2801
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I unfortunately spend too much of my working life in banal chain hotels. What a pleasure it was to stay at the Anderson. All my favourite things are here; splendid real ale, an excellent selection of whisky and great food. The rooms were a little tired but quirky and reasonably priced. All the staff were friendly and attentive at all times. The menu is very unusual with some innovative combinations that work really well. The venison was the best I've had (and I've had a lot!). I will return.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fortrose
Culloden House
#9 of 35 in Inverness
Royal Hotel Cromarty
Royal Hotel Cromarty
#1 of 2 in Cromarty

Been to The Anderson? Share your experiences!