“Why I keep going back.”

Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Pajara
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Third trip back to the Meliã Gorriones and not disappointed.
Some of the staff have been there since my first visit in 2012 and seem to have lost none of the enthusiasm for giving their clientele a relaxing and memorable visit.

The chilled out terrace bar in the evening is the perfect antidote to a hard day windsurfing or being dragged under leading to kitesurfing :-P

The beach is without doubt the best on Fuerteventura and in the early evenings you can have it pretty much to yourself as the sunsets.

I really should try somewhere else next year...but why would I when the hotel and the windsurfing are so perfectly balanced!

Thanks again, Tim

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tim G
GEX_MeliaG, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Tim G, First of all we would like to thank you for your trust in Meliá Gorriones to spend your holiday and we are glad that you have had a wonderful holiday with us. We are really grateful for this feedback on Tripadvisor. Your opinion can be a valuable reference for other guests who are thinking of staying at the Meliá Gorriones on their next holiday. At the same time, your comments are a great motivation to our staff, who always try to make every guest’s holiday an unforgettable experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the beach and our Gabi lounge (chill out terrace) very much. It is a pleasure to read that our high quality standards and our passion for service meet your expectations. Why try any other place? Melia Gorriones is already waiting for welcoming you back! Sunny greetings from Fuerteventura.

There are newer reviews for Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed in the Melia hotel Gorriones for 12 nights in September last year. We have stayed in Melia hotels before in Bali and Cayo Coca, Cuba. This hotel may not have the luxury of its sister hotels but we were not disappointed with the quality of the food, service or our room on the sixth floor with stunning views over the fabulous beach

I would recommend paying extra (You may be offered a free upgrade) to dine in the Atlantis Restaurant for your evening meal. The food is not necessarily better but the atmosphere is more civilised and Fernando the waiter was very welcoming, professional and offered excellent service

The hotel is a little isolated but superb just to relax around one of the three large pools or to use the wind sports on the beach directly in front of the hotel. The main pool has sea water and we found it a little difficult to swim because of buoyancy

The cabaret on the whole was very good with professional acts each evening and two in particular, The Beatles and Drifters tribute bands were exceptional. Beware this hotel is definitely not for those who enjoy lively clubs and late music because the room quietens down straight after the cabaret has ended

A minus for the hotel when we were there was the only free Wi-Fi on offer was in the Levels accommodation which was at the top end of the price bracket

I would like to mention some staff who we had contact with. The breakfast omelette chef who made everyone smile with his antics, Anna the lunchtime waitress and Manuel the young trainee manager.

Manuel went beyond his line of duty to help us with a couple of problems we experienced and he was magnificent. We would like to wish him well for his future hopefully with the Melia hotel chains

We hope to return this September

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DPJ16
GEX_MeliaG, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear DPJ16, Thank you very much for taking some time to share your opinion with us and other travelers here on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that we succeed in our purpose to make you feel “at home” in Melia Gorriones Because that is what the staff works hard for daily, to make you enjoy your holidays. Please do not doubt that we pass on your positive and negative feedback to our staff (especially Fernando, Anna and Manuel). Your comments are our motivation to keep on improving our service. We surely take note about the little minus you wrote about the Wi-Fi. We send you our finest greetings from Fuerteventura and are waiting impatiently to welcome you back next September in Melia Gorriones.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

If you Love kitesurfing and you are looking for good conditions of accommodation, it is place for you . This hotel has really beautifull garden and huge swimingpools-everyone will find the płace for themselves .restaurat was average...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 31KAS

Dear 31KAS, thank you for your comments and for spending your holidays in Melia Gorriones. Your feedback is of great importance to us so we can keep on improving our services, therefore we thank you again for your kind words. We hope that you too could enjoy the as good as perfect kite surf conditions and accommodations. Thank you for your comment about the restaurant, please be assured that we will increase our vigilance in this area. We are looking forward to welcome you again for another “Melia Gorriones Experience”. Best regards.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The beach was AMAZING!!!!! the best one i ever seen, the hotel were good and the food was actually very good to be all inclusive. The hotel in general were boring this is a place you should go to if you want a relaxing vacation. We went to the oasis park and the camel safari were fun :) the park were big and i recommend you to go there. The only thing i thought was bad about the hotel was their bad english, they wasn't good at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sanna A

Dear Sanna A, we wish to thank you for you review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays with us and especially that you liked our gastronomy witch is one of our biggest concern. We are surprised that you describe the hotel as boring and we feel really sorry that you have not discovered our sports and activities programe with activities like yoga, spinning, cardiobox, aerobics, aqua gym, etc…We take note of your comment about the spoken English in the hotel. Your feedback is of great importance to us and therefore we thank you once again for your kind words. We are looking forward to welcome you back at Melia Gorriones for a relaxing vacation and hope to have the possibility to thoroughly spoil you once more. Tack så mycket

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just came back from one week holiday at Melia Gorriones.
After reading mixed reviews we've decided to give it a try and see ourselves what this hotel is like - all because I always wanted to go to Sotavento Beach :)
I have booked hotel about 3 months before departure and requested (paid for) sea view Casas Del Mar. After I booked my holidays I met someone who is one of the directors at Melia and this person also sent email to the hotel manager to make sure our holidays are nice and smooth. I was very excited even though I did not expect anything extra, I believed that with all the requests we've made prior to departure our holidays will be perfect.
On arrival to the hotel we were however made very unwelcome by receptionist Ivan - dark hair, long nose, pale skin (there are two Ivans and another one is very nice). I asked him if he is aware of the requests we have made and he said that there was no information about previous emails. I said fair enough - all I wanted was Sea View and not ground floor please. So Ivan gave us a room. Me and my partner carried heavy luggage (stairs, stairs, stairs) to the Casas Del Mar (no help was offered) just to find out that room located on the first floor had no sea view, but unpleasant smell instead (all previous reviews about stinking rooms are true). We walked back to the reception. I told Ivan that this room has no sea view and he said - "you told me you wanted first floor and first floor has no sea view". Well all I've said was that I don't want ground floor and sea view was something I've paid for extra anyway. He was literally arguing with me that he knew better what I've said. I asked Ivan if upgrade to Level was available and he said no. (Level was not an option at the time of booking) Then with "gesture of goodwill" Ivan offered another room in Casas Del Mar - on the second floor with Sea View. I have asked him if there was someone available to help us with luggage and he was kind enough to call his colleague who didn't speak much English but was very friendly and carried our luggage to the new (second) room. This room had partial Sea View and the same unpleasant smell as previous one (dump, filthy?). We would have acceppted this room as we just wanted to start our holidays. Unfortunately I went to the bathroom and saw there dirty sink blocked and full of dirty water and next to it cosmatic containers - emplty and dirty. I took a picture of this and called reception from the room to tell them that room clearly was not ready. Person who picked up the phone said that Ivan was on his break and offered upgrade to Level (!!!). What a nightmare! We had to go again to the reception. There we've met Ivan again (he must have had the shortest break in the whole universe!) to whom I showed my phone with picture. He looked at me and said that I should have unblock the sink and clean it myself!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that??? He walked away with my phone in hand, so my partner asked him to give the phone back and Ivan said - "I don't want your phone, I have my own". Unbelievable experience. Anyway Ivan gave the phone back and told us to sit and wait for the supervisor. So we waited... The woman that came to rescue us - Theresa was really nice and polite and finally allowed us to upgrade to the level (we had to pay 69 Euros per night on top) and as soon as we entered the room we were happy. All this check in "procedure" took two hours and it was far too dramatic as you would accept to start your holidays with.
After all this trauma, we had no other choice, but just to enjoy - fantastic view of Sotavento beach, lovely weather (a bit too windy sometimes) and superb room. Food was delicious too with show cooking and good variety. I believe entertaiment was ok as well - we didn't really care, but what we could observe was fine.
Overall: Please read all reviews and don't ignore negative comments about this hotel as most of them are true. If you are lucky enough not to meet Ivan on your way you can have fantastic holidays in Melia Gorriones. Hotel has got it all to be the best holiday spot - beautiful beach, friendly staff who will go far and beyond to please you (except one receptionist ofcourse), fresh and delicious foods, lovely surroundings.
On the down side - yes, I've seen a cocroach in the main hotel building on the ground floor; people are letting themself in into the Level area and then their noisy kids are taking over jacuzzi and splashing water around without even being entitled to being there in the first place, high winds; room cleaning is not consistent - once your room is sparkling clean, once they just do the bed and don't bother with anything else.
Info: Taxi will take you to Morro Jable (great variety of shops, cafes, another beautiful beach etc) for 20 Euros. Taxi from airport to Melia Gorriones costs 90 Euros on Sunday, around 80 during the week.
We have used spa and can reccommend - therapists and receptionists there are extremely friendly and they know their job. I had a massage which was booked already prior to our arrival and we got also free one hour of jacuzzi/Turkish Bath/Sauna of our choice thanks to being Level guest for free (For being Level you are also getting mini bar filled daily, better foods - we've checked both restaurants; and bathrobes and slippers).
Wifi was working fine and fast enough for iPhone5, but sending one email from our Samsung Laptop took 20 minutes :(
Sun Loungers are plenty and available.
Most customers are German and French. And yes hotel staff assumes everybody is German.

Advice: If you want to go to this hotel, book Level only. This will help reduce the risk of nasty surprises to a minimum. Otherwise - don't bother to check whether reviews are true as we did, unless all you care about is kite or wind surfing as this hotel is the best place for water sports.
I will repeat myself - Hotel has got it all, but as long as they keep people like Ivan employed, who couldn't even explain why he needed my credit card details when asked, who was so rude and who should not be working with people (I mean in customer facing role - by the way the "luggage boy" had more empathy and was more friendly even without knowing the language) - as long as people like Ivan are representing this hotel, anything can happen and I don't see myself going there again. Tripadvisor reviews are reflecting that nasty customer service we've experienced too. So even other staff who were so lovely could not manage to turn our overall experience around. Also hotel doesn't care about your requests or emails, so don't expect anything and don't waste your time contacting them. Other hotels do care though (this was our fifth time in Fuerteventura).

MY REVIEW WAS WRITTEN FOR YOU TO HAVE EXTENSIVE PICTURE OF THIS HOTEL. OVERALL SCORE I GAVE WAS AVERAGE ONLY BECAUSE OF IVAN. IF WE WOULDN'T COME ACROSS IVAN IN THE FIRST PLACE WITH ALL HOTEL'S UPS AND DOWNS I WOULD GIVE THE BEST POSSIBLE SCORE AS WE HAD WONDERFUL TIME AND NOTHING MAJOR DISTURBED US (ALL LITTLE THINGS WERE ACCEPTABLE). IVAN CHANGED IT ALL AND IT WOULD BE UNFAIR FOR OTHER HOTELS WHERE ALL STAFF ARE FRIENDLY TO GIVE HIGHER SCORE TO MELIA GORRIONES. SHAME ON HOTEL MANAGEMENT AS IF THEY ARE ACCEPTING THAT KIND OF STAFF BEHAVIOURS, THEY ARE JUST KILLING THE BUSINESS AND REPUTATION OF WHOLE MELIA BRAND. OTHER HOTELS MAY NOT HAVE SUCH EXCELLENT FACILITIES BUT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL MORE WELCOME AND VALUABLE GUEST.
MY REVIEW IS AS FAIR REFLECTION OF OUR HOLIDAYS AS WE HONESTLY BELIEVE IS POSSIBLE. WE ENJOYED IT, BUT HORRIBLE IVAN IMPACTED OUR SCORE FOR MELIA GORRIONES.

Room Tip: Go for Level only. Don't bother with other rooms. Casas Del Mar had bad smell.
3  Thank Izabela K

Dear Izka077, Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding your stay in our hotel. We are sorry to read that our hotel did not completely meet your expectations. We are glad you liked the magical location, the quality and variety of our gastronomy and the overall friendliness of our staff. We surely take note and will investigate what happened at the check in. We assure you that we share each and one your positive and negative critics with our employees and heads of departments. Our guests feedback is of the most important to us and we appreciate your comments and will take them in consideration, for future improvements. However this first experience might not have been completely satisfying, we would like to encourage you to give us a second chance to change your vision about our hotel. In case of a possible future visit please contact us (joris.guido.vandepitte@melia.com) Best regards.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've been at Meglià Gorriones 4 times. It's alway same welcome, same style, same panorama. Always good to be back at Gorriones. Quality is constant.
Clean rooms. Nice sea views. Excellent access to the beach and watersports. Beautiful exotic garden. Tidy and confortable. A certainty for service and activities.
Food offer could be refined though.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank GiuseppeMarzo

Dear Giuseppe M, Thank you very much for taking some time to share your opinion on the web. We are happy to hear that we succeed in our purpose to make you feel “at home” in Melia Gorriones Because that is what the staff works hard for daily, to make you enjoy your holidays. We take note about the food offer which you mentioned and will pass it through to the involved department. We send your our finest salutes from Fuerteventura and are looking forward to welcome you back. Best regards

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Before 1.5 week we came back from Fuerteventura- Melia Gorionnes hotel. We had amazing Wedding ceremony and honeymoon in Melia Goriones. Our expectations fulfilled with usury!!! Nice presents, surprises from the hotel personal, servises, rooms, hotel atmosphere, food, public in hotel - everything was great. We will miss it very much and we definitely will come back again.

2  Thank Ovidija K

Dear Ovidija, First of all we want to thank you that you have taken some minutes of your time, to share your Melia Gorriones experience with us and other travelers. Second I would like to thank you and your husband for choosing Melia Gorriones for such a special event like your wedding. It is very pleasant to hear to we fulfilled all of your expectations. Please don’t thank us because the pleasure and the honor was all ours! We are happy to hear that the positive energy of this magical place will be forever in your memories. We are looking forward impatiently to welcome you back at Melia Gorriones.Best regards (Joris)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pajara
Occidental Jandia Playa
#3 of 27 in Costa Calma
SENTIDO H10 Playa Esmeralda
SENTIDO H10 Playa Esmeralda
#4 of 27 in Costa Calma

Been to Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura? Share your experiences!