“Missing you already”

Fuerteventura Princess
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Pajara
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just returned from another relaxing break at the Princess.Excellent as usual.Lovely room 6124 with great views.Friendly staff especially Senor Hassan,El Barjh,Billy and Alfa.I've read some bad reviews but on our twice yearly visits since the hotel opened we've never been disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank BeachbumPamela
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear mrs Pamela,

Our guests are the most important component to create the big family that Fuerteventura Princess is, we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you in our hotel and specially to be part of this family.
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. This will certainly motivate our team to continue delivering the best service to all our guests! It is always very rewarding to receive such compliments ensuring that every guest leaves with great satisfaction, our main commitment is your entire satisfaction and all the staff is focus on that.
Once again, thank you very much for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fuerteventura Princess, hopefully soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We had booked a room with a sea view. The room we first got wasnt really a sea view but the hotel was happy to give us an alternative room that we were happy with so high marks for promptly sorting that. Food is good the meat being cooked on griddles to order in front of you. We have been to hotels in the princess chain a lot, we like them, the food at this one was one of the best of the ones we have been to. Plenty of room in the bars and pools. Room kept nice and clean. If I had a complaint, and I suppose its minor, its that all inclusive customers have to have coffee from those poor machines rather than a decent cup of fresh that you have to pay extra for. Alchoholic drinks are good on the all inclusive list. Would I go again? Yes I would.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank waterhenbloa
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Halifax,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Fuerteventura Princess Hotel for your vacations, as well as for taking the time to share your experience with us and other travellers.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and we are grateful you took the time to specify it. Our friendly and efficient staff is always motivated by comments like yours.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just returned from a week staying at the Fuertaventura princess , having previously stayed at other princess hotels my expectations were high, how wrong i was ! The hotel itself is very nice well laid out, rooms were cleaned daily to an excellent standard, probably could do with a refurb though. The food however I'm sorry to say really lets the hotel down, it is never hot , everything was luke warm sometimes even cold, choice of vegetables very poor, sprouts were on the menu one night and obviously weren't very popular so they were served up for breakfast mixed with sweet corn ! Yuk ! The staff some were very friendly some were very surly, and understood very little English. The entertainment staff work hard however i don't think miming to songs and prancing about on stage is that entertaining! I am amazed that Thomson holidays class this hotel as Platinum ! Will not be returning to the Fuertaventura Princess.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lynette B
DireccionFTV, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel as your holiday destination.
We are currently improving our customer service and would like to apologise that we were unable to respond to your review sooner as our guest’s opinions are very important to us. For further information please visit our webpage.
Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Returned from holiday on the 26th Feb .
The hotel was nice , food acceptable , room clean and the maid kept it clean .
The entertainment was Ok but could have done with more specialist shows , only 1 on our week .
The Animation team put on shows for the rest of the week 1 of which [The Lion King] was very good ,the others were not quite up to standard . We did go to the other Princess hotel down the road and saw another show by the animation team [Les miserable] which again was good, and a Chinese acrobat show .
The nearest shopping area was a steady 45minute to I hour along the sandy beach ,[If you caught the timing wrong you had to climb over rocks .
In all a pleasant holiday although windy at times .

The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Richard W,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Fuerteventura Princess to spend your vacations.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Me and my family have just returned from a week all inclusive (1/5/14 - 8/5/14) and WOW. My only negative comment is regarding the check in, we arrived late in the evening and check-in did take approximately an hour. So to be honest wasn't the best way to start a holiday but it was all up hill from there, The rooms were immaculate and the grounds cleans and well maintained. When it came to meal times all the food was well prepared, fresh, with plenty of choice, and as usual we all ate to much lol. The activities that were on offer were Archery, Rifle shooting, Stretching, Aqua aerobics, all with instructors that were super friendly and happy and who really made an effort. The naturist area was so relaxing I could have lived there, quiet, clean and with good facilities e.g. sauna, steam room etc. I was part of a large group and by the 3rd day the staff knew our names (and also the adults fav drinks ;-) ) The entertainment was very well done i really cant fault the staff on there efforts and enthusiasm to put on a good performance. My biggest praise has got to be to the entertainment staff, they really helped to make it the perfect holiday as we had 3 young children and 1 teenager in our group and they show genuine care for the little ones and really go the extra mile.

sad part is that we had to leave :-((((((((((((

Hotel inc grounds and rooms - 10/10
Food - 10/10
Activities 10/10
Staff 20/10

Would i go back...................I booked my next holiday there the day we flew back :-DDDDDDD

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Paul S

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel as your holiday destination.
Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

A final few words about the FP.
Sadly, I’m back in England now.
I had a great holiday at the FP. Met some old friends and made some great new ones.
Many people return to the FP again and again – that tells you much about the place!
Having spent my days walking the mountains, barrancos, and gorgeous beaches, I enjoyed returning to the FP for a sauna, and a lovely meal every single night. The staff (many familiar faces & some new), as always, were friendly, helpful, & professional. If you have regular habits, you’ll find bottles appearing on your table, before you’ve even had chance to open your mouth. It’s a large complex, and gardeners & maintenance staff will be seen constantly working away in the background, keeping the place looking good.
Cava with breakfast, a couple of days a week, is always a nice treat, as is, the bottle waiting for you in your room upon arrival (when you are a returning guest).
The FP has a great naturist area with a small pool, 2 large saunas, steam room, and a bank of open plan showers with hot water (& nice gel supplied). I hope they never change the layout. They seem to have made a mess of the naturist zone in the Jandia Princess next door. Whilst I hope the FP’s naturist area never changes, they could perhaps make it bigger. The area is screened off from the gym and the massage rooms, so prudish guests (sadly mostly Brits!) won’t be too traumatised. However, if they go to the beach, they will encounter naturists in both directions for miles, but happily co-existing with people have unfortunately yet to discover the wonderful freedom of being naked in the sunshine or in the water.

FP – I’m missing you already!

So …. is the FP perfect? Well, for me, it almost is. The only things I dislike are, having to pay extra to use a room-safe, having to pay a high price for limited internet service, and having to pay a high price for wine with my meals (I’m a half-board’er). I would prefer to pay a higher basic price for my holiday and then get safe & Wifi included, and more reasonably priced wine with my meals.
I feared that standards would drop at the FP with the introduction of the ‘All Inclusive’ option, but in 4 weeks, I didn’t see anyone ignoring the dining room dress code, and only saw one brief ‘too much alcohol’ incident. The FP is a beautiful hotel in a quiet location. I love the location of the FP. The fact that it’s isolated without bars & shops outside is a plus for me. Having said that, I am looking forward to using the new Mercadona supermarket just up the road next time (It opened today 06/03/14).
I frequently use the coastal bus service. It’s a shame that you have to climb the hill to the old main road to reach a bus stop, but the 15 minutes climb helps keep me fit. Incidentally, you can now buy the 30% discount ‘Bono’ or ‘BTF’ cards off the bus drivers. Cost is €2 and you also need to pre-load it with at least €15, but any unused credit stays valid for your next holiday. Nice getting a discount and not having to fiddle about trying to have change for the bus.
I have at least, partly solved my WiFi needs. I’m now using an alternative cheaper service. The Allsun’s Esquinzo Beach Hotel up the road charges at a more reasonable rate eg: €20 for two weeks (see below for full price info). The service is provided by the same company that supplies the service at the Magic Life Hotel, which is just across a barranco from the FP. I found that if you registered for the Allsun’s service, you could then also log-in to the Magic Life's service. I was then able to access the internet from my room (via Magic Life). I have a small (SignalKing) signal enhancing device with my laptop, but I found that my Tablet coped very well on its own. In the Piano Bar, I could use my laptop with either Allsun or Magic Life. The Allsun signal appears as ‘WifiZone’ (Not ‘WiFiZone Esquinzo’, which is yet another signal you might pickup). A friend found that although his tablet could see the WiFiZone signal from the Piano Bar, he got authentication errors when trying to connect & sign-up. He solved this by walking closer to the Allsun Hotel (It’s on the outside of the roundabout, which has now become the location of the Mercadona). If you sign-up online with Paypal (or whatever) you get sent an Id & password to both an email address and a mobile number (the latter should be entered with a ‘0044’ prefix – not ‘+44’ format).
I’ve just read today that the Magic Life will be providing free WiFi from the summer. It will be interesting to see what impact that has on the FP’s service.
Shame the FP doesn’t have music in the Piano Bar every night. If I want to use the internet, I like sitting in the Piano Bar listening to music at the same time - whilst increasing the bar’s takings.

Earlier Update: I’m now coming to the end of Week 3 of 4 and I’m still very happy at the FP.

NB: Had to withdraw my earlier review, and then resubmit, so that I could add an update.
Sorry my comments are lengthy, but I’ve included headings, so just skip to items of interest.

Food:
As a meat eater and soup lover, I can confirm that I’ve been very pleased with the food each night at the FP. Some nights, many of the foods follow a theme. One particular highlight for me was ‘Mexican’ night. The bean soup, ribs, and chilli were superb (IMO). I’m looking forward to it coming around again.
Wine is expensive, but I’m stretching my bottles out by taking them away and then bringing them back the next night. If the wine was cheaper, I’d drink more and wouldn’t have the hassle of baby-sitting my bottle overnight.

Entertainment:
Not good overall. The number of ‘turns’ that don’t just mime to something seems to reduce each year. I’m not big on tribute bands either normally, but I did enjoy the ‘Bee Gees’ as the got people dancing and it was liveliest night I’ve seen so far. I also enjoyed the Argentina Passion night too (twice).
Sadly the Piano Bar is dead most nights. I’m writing this update in my room, if there had been something on in the Piano Bar, I would have surfed there (& increased the bar’s takings). One of my best nights in the Piano Bar was when the son of a British guest seized the opportunity and played an interesting selection of pieces on the piano. Well done that man! (Your mother was cute too!).

Wifi:
I’m pleased to say that I have a solution to the hotel’s expensive WiFi system. I’ve signed up with the Allsun hotel up the road. I was getting their signal whilst in the Piano Bar. I was able to sign up on line. In many places in the hotel, you get a strong signal from the Magic Life hotel on the other side of the valley. I noticed that Magic Life WiFi and AllSun WiFi were provided by the same company (but not the same as the FP). I wondered if, once you’d signed up with one, if you could also sign in to the other, with the same details. You can! I’m now enjoying WiFi in the Piano Bar and in my room, at a much better price. Come on FP, sort out your own WiFi! Improve the signal and reduce the price for longer stays!!!!
Prices (as at 22/02/14) are as follows:
FP: 1 day €6, 3 days €12, 1 week €19
Magic Life: 1 day €7, 3 days €15, 1 week €25, 2 week €35, 3 week €40, 1 month €45.
A month is €45, not €40 as I incorrectly stated in my earlier review.
All Sun Esquinzo Beach Hotel: 1 day €5, 7 days €15, 14 days €20.
Work out the best deal for your own stay and usage. For me, it was the €20 for a fortnight with AllSun (& consequently Magic Life).

German Platinum guests:
Gradually, I’ve spotted more about this offer provided by the company FTI.
They have their own dedicated areas in several places:
Rooms - Two zones are G/Plat only, accessible by gate: Rooms beyond the Thomson room in the main building, and another block off to the left as you walk down hill. The gate there is bizarre as you can just step around it, rather than using your room key, as the grass is already worn.
Restaurant - On entering the dining room, if you go left (into the old no-smoking area. It’s all no-smoking now of course – Thankfully!), then go left again (into an area I’ve rarely seen used before, then you have reached the G/Plat zone.
G/Plat Reception:
As I mentioned in my previous review, G/Plat guests have their own (albeit small) Reception desk, behind this, during the day, they have someone on duty in a little office behind the desk to help G/Plat guests. I chatted to the nice lady on duty one day. Seems FTI do accommodation only deals and they don’t charge crazy prices for long visits - like Thomson. I’m here for 4 weeks. Thomson’s BOGOF offer was “Stay for 4 weeks, pay for 10!” Yes, they wanted just over £5000 for a 4 week stay, but I was able to book 2 two-weeks stays for just over £2000. Watch out Thomson, I may be flight-only next year, after booking my room with FTI!

Non G/Plat Rooms:
As far as the normal rooms are concerned, I must say that I’m very pleased with mine. It’s cleaned to a high standard each day, and everything works fine. One morning I mentioned to reception that I had a bulb out in the bathroom. I then set off down hill for a late breakfast. I called at my room for a quick pee, as I left the room, I man with a bulb and step-ladder appeared. How’s that for service! Excellent!
The shower gel and shampoo provided each day aren’t brilliant, but they are adequate. I generally put a couple to one side early in my holiday, as I have known the housekeeper to forget to top up my supply on the odd occasion.
Actually I shower most nights down by the saunas after my sauna. The gel provided for the sauna showers is much nicer IMO, and there’s more elbow room.
If you’ve not had a sauna naked before, and are nervous about trying it, go down after about 19:15 – odds are that you will have the place to yourself until 20:00, when they close.
The room safe is expensive at €14 per week, and I do feel very safe at the hotel (Touchwood!), but it seems foolish not to use the safe when one is provided. It’s big enough to hold my 10” Tablet, but not my laptop. Only a museum would be interested in my laptop though!

Flights:
With Thomsons, as I was booking two holidays, I also had to pay twice for extra legroom and extra baggage. Realised now, what I should have done is just booked the extras for the first holiday and then gambled on booking the extras for the return trip in the resort. When I asked the other day, the prices were Extra Legroom €25, Extra Space €25. Extra baggage wasn’t an option then, but it was said that this was to be reintroduced with the arrival on online check-in. As this has now been introduced, I wonder if I will be able to use it for my return journey?
Incidentally, if you are wondering what the difference is between ‘extra legroom’ and ‘extra space’ read the Thomson information carefully. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on the plane about the difference between the two. The staff seemed just as confused as the passengers. Some passengers were not getting what they expected. Thomson’s poor diagrammatic view of the plane when you chose your seat didn’t help, as it didn’t include any info about location of exits, etc.
I hope you have found something of use in my update.

Car Hire:
This holiday, I’ve now used twice the company based in Reception: E. Soto S.L. The guy does speak English. At least the man I’ve dealt with on both occasions did. I got had a nice Suzuki Jeep with just over 10,000 miles on the clock. I’ve used this company before. One of the benefits is that on your last night, you can just hand your key over to Reception when you’ve done with your vehicle, you don’t need to visit Hire Company’s Rep next morning to hand the key over. The Soto Rep is there every morning from 8:30 ‘til 11:00 (10:30 on Sundays & Holidays).

Mercadona:
Signs have appeared in Morro Jable and Costa Calma indicating that they are aiming to open the new supermarket (just up the road) on the 6th March. Too late for me, but possibly in time for you.

German companies ‘demanding’ better treatment for their guests? I was amused when I read this recent review comment. That will be ‘demanded’ (or should that be ‘negotiated’) better treatment, in the same way that Thomson negotiated special treatment for its guests: to have a special Platinum room for info, rather than a ringbinder in Reception, plus local return-journey check-in facilities, plus dedicated direct airport transfer coach. The last two of which have quietly been dropped over the years.

Previous Report:
I am in Week 1 of a 4 week stay at the FP. It’s a return visit – my visits are now into double figures. I was apprehensive about returning this time, as this is my first (half-board) visit since Thomson introduced the ‘all-inclusive’ option, and recent reviews seem to be mixed. I’m very relieved to say (especially as I’m committed to 4 weeks) that the hotel is as good as ever. For me, the location is perfect – the hotel is at the southern end of 3 or 4 hours walking of wonderful (clothes-optional) beaches. It’s not just the location though, the hotel is good too. It is a very pleasant place to stay, and I find all the staff (without exception) friendly and helpful. I can’t understand some of the negative comments I’ve read. Perhaps, the comments say more about the writers, than they do about the staff. People also comment that the food isn’t hot. I can’t disagree, but suspect that if the food was hotter, the same people would complain that the dishes had dried out from being kept too long under hot lights. I’m a late eater, and I’m pleased to say that you can go into dinner at 20:30 and still find the full range of dishes available (and no queue too!). I’m a ‘starter-man’ and I find that ‘soup-of-the-day’ (or stew-of –the-day as it is sometimes labelled) is always superb. As a late-eater, I’m also late to breakfast, so I always enjoy the late breakfast down at the restaurant at the bottom of the site.
On the whole, I love the isolated location of the FP, but it will be nice when the nearby Mercadona supermarket (currently under-construction) is completed. I also still mourn the loss of the local (blue&yellow) bus service. When I first visited the FP, it was a hard 15 minute slog uphill to reach the coastal bus-service, but then a local twice-an-hour service was introduced. Sadly this (well used service) stopped nearly 2 years ago. The local council made a big thing of modifying the Morro Jable to Costa Calma service last Spring (2013), so that it came down the hill to a stop near the sister hotel (Jandia Princess) hotel next door. Unfortunately, this modification didn’t stay in force for long, so it’s back to climbing the hill again to reach the (old) main road, if you want to use the local bus services. Whilst I can afford a 4-week stay at the hotel, I refuse to pay taxi fares.
What else do I like about the hotel? Well, I love the fact that it has a dedicated naturist area and 2 large saunas. I also love the fact that it is in the south of the island away from the large ‘British’ resorts. It’s perhaps a shame though that Thomsons don’t do more to warn prudish British tourists that the south of Fuerteventura might not be the best place for them.
I’ve also read about some confusion about another ‘Platinum’ arrangement at the hotel. It seems that a German company has now instigated a ‘platinum’ class for its clients. The only change I’ve noticed so far though, is a new reception desk for German Platinum guests, opposite the normal reception desk (ie: where the old car-hire desk used to be). The rest of the hotel seems to be operating as normal - unlike the Jandia Princess next door. Had a wander around there last night. Seems to be very complicated now as to who gets to access which areas. Had a look around the JP's reduced naturist area, and found it slightly bizarre to reads signs warning that you must be clothed if you leave the naturist area and enter the sauna zone.
One thing I don’t like about the FP hotel is the WiFi service. It’s expensive at €19 per week, and it is only available in the Reception area (or the Piano bar too, if you have a signal enhancer, like me). No deals available for longer stays too! I’m picking up a strong signal from both the Magic Life next door, and an AllSun hotel up the road. I might give them a try next week, as they are offering much better prices for longer stays: AllSun 14 days for €20, and Magic Life €40 for a month (though their signal seems a little temperamental).
Returning guests – note that beach towels are now given out at the Mini-Club (Yep, they’ve moved again), so don't go wandering down to the old location. Hotel has now introduced vouchers for free towel swaps during your stay. That's an improvement, that will save me from refreshing mine in the bath.
I'd better get on with enjoying the rest of my stay now. The weather is brilliant (09/02/14).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank Ivorbeen2
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Ivorbeen2,

We would like to start off by expressing how appreciative we are that you have taken your time to dedicate this great review to Hotel Fuerteventura Princess online.

Also we would like to thank you also for your comments. We will make sure the department in charge receive your feedback, this is what make us improve to give you a better service.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Fuerteventura Princess, 26/2/14 05/03/14 and we had a excellent stay. I thought I was staying in the next door Jandia Princess and even got off the coach and tried to book in, reading the reviews of that hotel I am glad I made a mistake.
Excellent flight with Thomsons on a 757 left on time arrived early. Just over an hour coach ride and eventually arrived at the FP via the hotel JP next door. Check in was excellent and are cases were delivered to our room 5007, handy for the Coco Loco Bar and the over looking beach La Choza restaurant. The room was kept nice and clean we were ground floor but it was quiet.
Cannot find any fault with the hotel except for the poorly heated food under the heated lights, nearly always warm to cold for all meals. You couldn't fault the wide range of food though, the fresh fish cooked in front of you was excellent
Entertainment was fair, the Bee Gees group and three violin players. were very good the in house team tried hard but were not that good.
We stayed AI and got our monies worth, I didn't see any two tier AI system with our German friends, you don't see any Germans staying at bad hotels.
Return journey as good as coming out, nice modern airport with very cheap duty free shops.
All in all a very good stay and I will return there next year same week. Thank you Fuerteventura Princess and all your staff for a very good holiday well done.

Room Tip: 5007 was very quiet with little steps leading down to path near to La Choza restaurant, but bit of a...