We've just been to the Fuerteventura Princess for the 4th time, and unfortunately the hotel seems to have taken a step backwards. During our stay, we learned that the hotel has been taken over by a German management company, and they seem to be letting the accountants run the place.
We stayed there in June 2013 and the differences to our 2014 visit were marked.
1) Although there is "Platinum" section (private & gated, with its own pool, bar and daytime activities), this has nothing to do with Thomson/First Choice and seems to be reserved for Germans. The 1st/2nd class feeling creates ill-will among the guests.
2) The number of bar staff and waiters/waitresses seems to have been cut (along with their hours of work). We had absolutely no problem with the staff - they seemed to be overworked and still managed to be friendly to us. However during the evening shows, we found we had to order the evenings drinks in one go from the bar, because the waitering service had been stripped back to almost non-existent.
3) Cutbacks seemed to have been made elsewhere, too. The Animacion Team hold various activities throughout the day (archery etc) and in 2013 the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed guests from those activities could expect a free glass of champagne in the evening. This year we found there was no champagne at all, and only the 1st placed guest would be invited to receive a "diploma".
4) The evenings shows were either by the Animacion team, who do a good job of replicating West-End shows (Lion King, Les Miserables etc) or by hired acts who performed out-dated acrobatics or magic tricks. The best hired act we saw was the band who performed hits from the 70's/80's/90's (they also did a seperate Beatles tribute act).
5) Last year, we found a bottle of Champagne in our room - as a thank you from the hotel for being a returning guest. This year there was no recognition whatsoever.
6) The heated pool (next to the kids pool) has suffered from neglect. There were a lot of tiles missing from the bottom (in some cases the holes were bigger than a hand), and our daughter cut her knee open on shards of tile resting on the bottom of the pool - we had to pull a big shard out of her knee at the side of the pool. Credit to the Animacion team, they really did look after us. I learned that other guests had cut their feet in the pool too. I had a meeting with the hotel Director, who, although very apologetic, promised us the world and delivered nothing. I demanded the pool be closed, drained and fixed properly - to my knowledge all they did was a patch-up job. The incident was reported to the Thomson rep.
7) This year saw the introduction of all-inclusive, alongside half-board. The temptation to drink free alcohol all day proved too much for some guests, and there were reportedly two drunken fights while we were there.
We love this hotel, and to see it declining has been disappointing. We love the location, the peace and quiet, and the staff.
Others have mentioned the food, but this is very subjective. We've never had a problem with the food.
The rooms have always been clean - although it is pot luck as to who your neighbours will be (the same with any hotel).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fuerteventura Princess is ideal for couples, active vacationers and beach lovers. The 4 star hotel above Esquinzo Beach is designed like a small village. The 457 rooms are spread over 8 low-rise buildings. The detached premium-area ,,Esencia de Fuerteventura (212 rooms / 3 buildings) is located within the Fuerteventura Princess and may be booked separately. The Fuerteventura Princess is situated in the south of Fuerteventura, right above Esquinzo beach. There's a direct beach exit via a downward sloping path. Just a few kilometers away from the hotel are Jandía (4,5 km) and Morro Jable (6,5 km). Fuerteventura Airport is located 78 km from the Fuerteventura Princess. The hotel offers two restaurants and five bars (inkl. Lobby Bar, Disco Bar, Poolbar and Sportsbar). The main restaurant serves buffet style breakfast and dinner. At the La Choza a late breakfast, lunch or snacks may be enjoyed. There's a total of 5 outdoor pools, incl. kids pool, nudist pool, pool with a beach-volleyball court and a pool with a sloped entry. The hotel is perfect for sport fans featuring tennis court, multi-use-court, beach volleyball and a sports centre across the street. During the day the entertainment team hosts sporting activites. In the evenings there's shows and live-music. The smallest guests can enter the world of "Principito", the mascot of the Mini-Club. The young, multilingual entertainment offers daily fun activites for the kids. Hotel guests may enjoy free entrance to the wellness area with its sauna and turkish bath. The Fuerteventura Princess has a total of 457 rooms: standard and family rooms (consisting of two standard rooms with a connecting door). As a standard all rooms feature air conditioning, minibar-fridge (unstocked), satellite tv, balcony or terrace and bathrooms with bathtub-shower-combination, hairdryer and amenities. WI-FI (€) is available throughout the entire hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Idiso Digital, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Alpha Holidays Limited, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Atrapalo, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fuerteventura Princess reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fuerteventura Princess Hotel Pajara
- Fuerteventura Princess Playa De Esquinzo
- Hotel Fuerteventura Princess
- Fuerteventura Princess Spain