“barcelo lives up to rep”

Occidental Jandia Mar
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Pajara
scotland
“barcelo lives up to rep”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

the barcelo jandia mar lives up to the barcelo name, it is a huge hotel/resort that is spotless and the staff are very attentive. the food was good but the pastry chef deserves an award or shot depending on how many of his creations you are tempted with. the only down side was that there was only one bar open at night and it could get busy but only one staff serving while others seemed to find something else to do!!!! we went 15th to 22nd march and the weather was great, the wind could get cold but was march after all. ask for block 9 if possible its handy for everything some rooms could be in blocks 1/2 and they are outside the main hotel. the entertainment was the usual rubbish hotel stuff, the bee gee tribute was the highlight of the week. the journey from the airport would put us off returning to this hotel but don't let that put you off if you don't mind the bus.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ScotlandHolidaybabe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
milton keynes
Reviewed 19 March 2014

What to say. Well if you have booked this hotel it is not of what I would say a good 4 star. The pool is a nice bucket for the brave only . but you will not what for a bed there's plenty , towels 20 euro deposit. If you what to change them 2 euro. each time Cheap shot .the pool snack bar not very pleasant all cold hot dogs chips and burgers Food in restaurant not bad could have more of a choice caters more for the Germans. , lunch good choice . , dinner not so much , but it's all hot , rooms very clean. We up graded to a suite 30 euro a day and in the main hotel and the room was very nice , the bar you help yourself to the beer which is the weakest I have ever drunk along with the house wine and there's a punch next to the bar , the house spirits are weak as well you pay extra for branded drinks , the bar closes bang on 11 o clock then you pay 6 euro downstairs the one thing the lobby bar lacks it has no buzz what so ever very boring even when the entertainment is on ,the one thing that did really irritate me no bottled water you have to again pay for this. All in all if we have all ready booked it's not the worst place we stayed. One sure thing we will not return

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 7 night break at the Jandia Mar. I really cannot understand some of the recent negative comments. It is a lovely hotel, spotlessly clean and tidy in all areas. Our room was large with a very comfortable bed. We were in Block 9 and it was very quiet. We never heard a sound. The bathroom was lovely with a powerful shower over the bath. The complimentary shower gel/shampoo was excellent.
The food was plentiful and of a good standard. With regard to the meat option, there was pork most nights but there was also chicken, steak, veal and goat ( which my husband enjoyed). I usually went for one of the fish dishes on offer and was never disappointed. There was certainly something for everyone. We ate in the a la carte restaurant one evening and that was really very good. The only queues were for the hot drinks at breakfast time but there were at most 3 or 4 people waiting and moved quickly. Not a major problem. Drinks were of the usual AI standard but I have to say they G&Ts were excellent!
Reception was generally busy and when we were checking out on the last day a large party was checking in at the same time so things were a bit chaotic but we have experienced similar in hotels all over the world.
The hotel is situated on the edge of the main resort of Jandia and it is approximately half an hour stroll into the centre of the resort. As the hotel is built on a hillside there is a hill to be negotiated on the way back. It is a long and fairly steep hill but we are a couple in our mid 60s of average fitness and we didn't find it a problem. On one occasion we got a taxi back from the centre which cost 3 euros.
With regard to comments made previously regarding the nationalities of the hotel guests, British people were in the minority but isn't that one of the reasons we go on holiday abroad? To meet and socialise with people from other countries? We can mix with our fellow Brits anytime.
We don't generally go for AI holidays but we found such a good deal at Jandia Mar that it was simply too good to miss. We weren't expecting much but I have to say our expectations were definitely exceeded.
Just a couple of negative points - firstly the outdoor pools should be heated at this time of year. They were really much too cold to use. Secondly, the extortionate cost of the wi-fi (25 euros per week). This really should be free in this day and age. Finally, the hot drinks machines in the restaurant are only operational at breakfast time so if you want a coffee after lunch or dinner you have to go to adjacent lounge and then only plastic cups are available. We really couldn't understand the logic of this.
Overall, we would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Jandia Mar.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Bspeaks49
Pajara
Reviewed 12 March 2014

this hotel was first class in every way and i would recommend it to anyone . myself and my partner stayed on a romantic ten day break and were treated so well we didnt want to leave ,great hotel with great staff and in a lovely location :)

Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts

6 Thank Glyn E
Stirlingshire
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I really do not know where to start with this Hotel - for 10 days we went without sleep we both came back home exhausted the noise is unnecessary thanks to various maids banging about from 8am onwards - do not get me wrong they work hard and are nice to talk to we were in Block 8 facing out to the Barceló Playa the patio windows in our room may as well have been made by rice paper heard everything including the very strong winds at night ask for a move up to 1,2,3 Block at least you will get a kip- take note take trousers and a jacket over as it gets cold at night as its on the peninsula I had to but 2 pairs of trousers for at night.
I feel we were misold this Hotel and not told it was very Euro based- German mostly (most impatient people I have ever met in my life) entertainment /food / the whole shebang were biased to Euro nationalities. The travel time as well is long 2 hours from the Airport. Be warned take care of your valuables as there was an incident involving a customers camera going missing in the Hotel and the person who did it was immediately fired.

Hotel is clean and well kept smells nice - but there are so many sneaky wee extras you have to pay for should you require it, give them their due we had cava and fruit put in our rooms on both our Birthdays - unfortunately I was ill on my mine I am still unsure whether it was a Gastro bug or massive indigestion.

Food - who wants Frankenfurters for breakfast!!? closest I got to a normal breakfast was fried egg, toast n beans I am not eating that 10 times in my holiday - toast which you had to put through the machine at least 5 times for slight anemic toast. Lunch was ok pasta / stews / chicken kebabs / salads which were not bad at all Dinner - well repeat of lunch except with a spaghetti and pasta cooking station. Snack bar which is open from 12.00-6.00pm was ok I ended up eating a lot of pasta salad for breakfast as the Breakfast in the dining room such a massive disappointment and I was not getting up for that like the feeling of dread going for a school dinner.

Drinks - Spirits not bad at all cocktails pre mixed in a bowl at bar front were pretty lethal please note though the beer is a piddly 2% which I find outrageous for an alleged 4 star all inclusive we have had Estrella and Cruzcampo beers on a 3 star.

The bar and waiting staff work for very hard for sure - so we took them for a wee twirl on the dancefloor in the nightclub in the Hotel probably their first laugh in ages going by some of the po faced clientele - be warned 6 euro a drink and you have to sign for it - very dodgy if you are slightly inebriated.

The people we met were great Brits / Irish / Scottish but the sheer ignorance of certain nationalities dumbfounded me you have to stand your ground and don't let them push in which is very common here! You come on holiday to relax not to jostle and be stood on or barged in front of. I sound incredibly moany here but it is not what you come on holiday for….I think it would be a nightmare height of season.

There is a spa and the prices are pretty steep you can use the pool / Jacuzzi / gym and sauna for free the pool gets very busy up until 4pm as lots of kids come in and that’s the time they have to leave the pool - Jacuzzi gets a bit awkward at that time too.

We walked to Morro Jable which beforehand you pass the Ventura shopping centre beside the Barceló Playa - (the Mango is very dear there ladies much cheaper in other Canary Isles I have been to), which was nice enough again very one sided to the Euro folks we went to the Boot and Ball pub and got 2 drinks which were 10 euro I expected better than this from them did not go back - on the way back yes the hill is quite steep however you can get a taxi back up to the Hotel for 3.50 euro I walked up the hill once put it like that.

We visited a bar called Kushtalle or Kushtell a German bar that does cocktails for 3 euro it is inside the Cosmo Shopping Centre top floor -pity we found it towards the end of the holiday if you can put up with the owner dressing up in a silk shirt and feather boa then its the place for you believe you me after 3 cocktails you will be past caring. We also found nice bar/cafe called Cafe Magdalene near the end of the beach if you carry on walking past the water sports boats and walk to the end you will see a telephone box and a wee hill with 2 bars beside it Magdalene is on the end next door to Doctors Office.

I would not go back to Fuerteventura I may consider using other Barceló Hotels abroad elsewhere.

1 Thank Katie H
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel to celebrate my 60th birthday, The rooms were lovely and clean, bar and resturant staff excellent, but once again the reception staff let things down. We had booked for two weeks and only by chance we discovered that they had us booked in for one week. It really took the shine out of what was supposed to be a special birthday holiday. Although the hill is steep good exercise. although some of the evening entertainement is great, make sure you pakc a cardi or jacket if going before the summer months

Room Tip: You can really hear the wind in Blocks 1, 2, and 3. advise opting for 4, 5 etc
Strathcarron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife & I booked to stay at the Jandia Mar hotel in Fuertaventura for one week at the end of February/ start of March 2014. The hotel itself was very clean & modern, but we had a bit of mixed time during our stay.

Altough the food on offer at the buffet for breakfast, lunch & dinner has a wide variety it just wansnt of a high standard at all. The system of standing in line (with many que jumpers) felt like school dinners & the food on offer wasnt of much better standard. Each and every night the main meals on offer was basically pork re-dressed 100 different ways, grilled, boiled, fried... Pork, Pork, Pork everywhere! The hotel has an Italian restaurant on site, that needs to be pre booked. However we never got the opportunity to use it, as we tried to book a table on Wednesday and got told no tables where available until Sunday?!?! I think this system needs to be looked at.

As for the alcohol, well it was all local cheap spirits on offer in the evening at the pool bar & reception bar and caused heartburn & indigestion after 2 or 3. At any time day or night you could access taps to pour a glass of wine, beer or sangria. However a warning to the beer drinkers, its a beer called Tropical & its only 2%.

Although the temperature was good whilst on holiday, the pool was ICE COLD... They obviously dont use any sort of thermostat to heat the pool in anyway, so cold in fact that not even the kids would go in it. They do have an indoor pool at the Spa but it was packed with kids due to the coldness of the outdoor pool.

The hotel itself is around a ten minute walk from the beach, the beach is pretty awesome! However be warned anyone with mobility problems would really struggle as there is a really steep hill back up from the beach to the hotel.

They also have a spa on site, i went on the Tuesday morning to book a sports massage & was told i couldn't be given an appointment until SATURDAY!! We checked out on the Saturday so that wouldn't have worked.However they called me 2 days later and offered me an appointment at the sister hotel across the road on the Friday.

If you fancy a long lie while on holiday - this place isnt for you. The cleaners will come along every morning, and even if you put the sign on for "quite" you will hear them bashing around the trolley & doing the rooms around you.
On the plus side, as said before the place is really really clean, the staff are all very helpful. However i we wouldn't return.

2 Thank nightfireuk2001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pajara
Occidental Jandia Playa
Occidental Jandia Royal Level - Adults Only
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura
Hotel Elba Carlota
Hotel Elba Carlota
#5 of 27 in Antigua
Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real

Been to Occidental Jandia Mar? Share your experiences!