“2nd enjoyable visit !”

Occidental Jandia Mar
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Pajara
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We returned on the 1st of April from our 2nd two week break in 5 months ! And we would have no hesitation in returning again in the autumn or perhaps christmas. I cannot understand why people complain about the food. The value is tremendous. Food and drink all day long for less than you would pay for 1 night in a good hotel at home ! As we love fish, salads, and lots of vegetables - we were happy. We did find that lunch was generally better than dinner in the evening, perhaps because there were more people for dinner and the chefs were under pressure, The selection of cheeses also were excellent and the breads and crackers would have ensured that even the grumpiest visitor would not go hungry. As for the desserts - I could have come home 2 stone heavier if I had not resisted. I love the mix of nationalities at the hotel and noted a big increase in the number of French people staying. The few children who were there were well behaved and delightful. For those who find the outdoor pool too cold in March I would recommend the warm indoor pool. My only gripe this visit was that the staff at reception were under staffed and at peak periods were under a lot of pressure. This resulted in a lack of courtesy at times - which is understandable - but unacceptable in a business that relies on the excellence of its hospitality. I will have to commend the lovely lady who checked us in and seemed to be under pressure. On other occasions we found the female staff at reception were very patient with our requests for assistance. The hotel was very busy so we will take this into consideration. We will hopefully be back - soon.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room overlooking the pool - this time.
5  Thank DolBrayIreland
Write a ReviewReviews (5,584)

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We recently holidayed at this hotel in March and despite some negative reviews I can honestly say I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel with a couple of caveats.
First off the hotel and grounds are really nice and very well maintained. It is a big complex but this gives it a spacious feel without feeling too big. The beach at the bottom of the hill is well worth the walk down and back up but as others have said previously the hill is very steep for the first half. Just take your time and you will get there or alternatively go through the gate at the sister hotel the Barceló Jandia Playa and make your way gently through it. You will need to time it with someone resident in the hotel swiping the gate for you. This was never an issue for us as there seemed to be someone coming and going all the time. The area itself was nice enough but you are at the end of the resort and if you like to eat out at night you really need to walk or taxi the 3.5K to the town of Morro Jable. The walk is easy and very nice consisting initially of shops and some restaurants then cross the road and walk along the promenade which is really nice.
Once there I can highly recommend the Mis Abuelos in the town a super genuine tapas bar.
Back to the hotel.
All inclusive is not really my thing. I am happy with it for breakfast, lunch and drinks but to be honest the dinner does not do it for me. That said the quality of all of the food was excellent with the exception of the meat and fish at dinner time. Again this is purely personal, the fish was often full of bones, it's obviously how they like it as there were plenty of people eating it and the meat was just OK. This is not meant as a criticism as there were lot's of contented diners. I just like to go out for the evening and pick what I want off a menu. If you are happy with all inclusive this is as good as any. I was particularly impressed to see the head chef out and about regularly checking the food and talking to diners. Do not listen to any reviews which say the food is rubbish. This is only their opinion and it is definitely not the case. One evening when we were heading out for dinner we called in to see what was in and it was a Mexican themed evening. It looked so good we stayed and really enjoyed it.
The one big criticism I would have of the hotel is the sound proofing between the rooms. I have never stayed in a hotel where I could hear the person next to me breathing in their sleep. I don't mean snoring I mean breathing. My sister was in the room beside me and we could arrange to meet by talking a little louder and we could clearly hear each other. This must be addressed as it is the one big let down of otherwise very good rooms.
There are plenty of drinks available, you pull your own beer which is more than acceptable and there are plenty of local spirits and cocktails to suit everyone.
All in all a good hotel which will be better if they can sort the room soundproofing out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floors facing the beach for beautiful views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ernest B
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Would highly recomend this hotel staff are very good, weather in April is just fantastic and so close to the beach.

Only down sides are the food same buffet food day and night gets boring.

And it did also feel like it was just for older generations as there where not many young people.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David F
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We have just spent 10 days at this hotel and were worried about previous negative comments. Obviously they stayed in a different hotel to us.
The hotel staff were very friendly and spoke excellent english. There were a lot of foreigners in the hotel but we were in Spain.
Food was of a good quality and plenty of choice. Restaurant was busy at times and perhaps we would not be so happy in high season. All inclusive drinks included wine, beer, cold drinks and fruit juice all on tap everything else was availabe at the bar.
Outside pool was too cold for me in march but spa pool was like a warm bath.
Rooms were spacious yes tv was not flat screen but there was 6 english channels including BBC world news so no need for paper.
Hill down to beach was quite steep but you can walk through Barcelo Jandia Playa hotel which is a gentler slope.
The beach at Jadia is probably the largest white sand beach I have ever seen absolutely
beautiful, walk to town about 20 minutes. Amazing wild life with the sweetest Chipmunks which can be hand fed, they love cucumber.
All in all I dont think that star ratings are the same abroad as in UK but this hotel is 3.5 stars and we would happilly come back.

e

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Gill R
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Absolute brilliant service from staff, from the minute we got there in early hours of morning till the minute we left.
Rooms were big, clean and comfortable.
Pool too cold to use at this time of year :(

Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Mallinson G
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Just come back from here at the end March, weather was a little mixed, jacket at night with a few cloudy days but got a decent tan, now I do not look for fault or unduly criticise so please take this as you find it.
Hotel was very large, good pool area with good access for pram s or wheel chairs, usual foyer with bar , reception and shop and seating area inside and out with good view of hotel and sea, all spotlessly clean only issue here really was you could not get a paper in the hotel you had to walk to Spar 20 min away also there is no free wifi a 25 euro charge per week which I thought is way dated theses days. THE HILL, yes it was a hill and if you have mobility issues I certainly would warn you against staying here, we had a pram and walked through the Bar cello playa hotel that way you do not notice the hill.

Room was fine , very clean yes a CRT TV but so what and around six English channels, balcony spacious and good shower did what it should

Staff were very friendly all round could not have wished for friendlier staff maybe a 13 month baby helped

Breakfast was the usual juice, full English (sausage were especially poor) loads of pastries continental etc' I was very surprised to find no omelet station. there was always a queue for the coffee machines so could do with more and yes parts of the restaurant were always sealed off I think this was for the half board guests who had to pay for drinks breakfast was available 7 till 10

Snack bar 12 till 6 burgers, hot dogs pizza, salad etc poor quality really but if you don't fancy the resteraunt it surficed.

Lunch in the main resteraunt was pork chicken salad some fish if I am honest was not much different from evening meal, beer wine etc served 1 till 3

Evening meal as said in an earlier review I was disappointed in the variety on offer, I have been to smaller hotels with twice the offering, although it was always kept full and hot, we ate at around 7pm due to baby, this to me was the weakest area of the hotel and I agree certainly not what I was expecting from a four star hotel very repetitive and simply not good enough quality of variety. Served 6.30 till 9.30

Alacarte was more of an upgrade really we hade steak and lobster, they were ok but not amazing and it cost 30euros with a bottle of wine

Drinks, all inclusive beer (tropical) wine and soft drinks were self serve all over the hotel which I prefer as you generally don't have to queue, all other national brand were served at bar, wine and beer were the usual really you do almost acclimatise to it, I can not comment on the spirits as we don't drink them.

Pool was freezing all of them , I did go in a few times but when you come out and the wind hits you you get colder however there is a spa pool indoors heated you can use along with sauna and gym ( kids only two hours a day though)

Jandia was disappointing really a long walk of around thirty minutes, we ate out twice and was not impressed my partner did comment on Fuerteventura not being the food capital of the world, taxi back from the centre was five euros.

All in all would I come back probably not, the hotel looks good and feels good, while we were there I think it was half empty and lacked atmosphere however if full I do not know how it would cope with the food and for me the food Is the most important part of a hotel .

A four star hotel with three star food

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nicklb2000
Reviewed 31 March 2014

yes the hotel reception is under staffed at change over time, but the pluses out way the minuses. rooms are spacious and spotless. we stayed in 8 block over a side road,quiet and partiall sea view 5 mins from reception. best rooms are higher up blocks 1 and 2. food was excellent could not fault it at all. drinks were very good as well comparable to the bars etc on the front. some reviewers must have stayed at a different hotel! the downer is that its at the top of heartattack hill, make sure you are fit before you book! beach area is superb with toilets and restaraunts, 12euros for parosol and 2 beds! take your own towels , have to pay hotel 20 euros deposit 2 to change. to save you walking up the hill, walk through the jandia playa hotel, just wait for someone to open the gate,or wait for the courticy bus. take a fleece with you and have a walk to moro jable, 30 mins might need a taxi back 8 euros. loads of germans and french, generally the clientelle were very good. we had 4 out of 7 good days, with a cool wind, hasta lluego !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank SPAVINELLI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pajara
Occidental Jandia Playa
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort
#6 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
52 mi away
Pierre & Vacances Village Fuerteventura Origo Mare

Been to Occidental Jandia Mar? Share your experiences!