“Great family resort”

Occidental Jandia Mar
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Pajara
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I too was a bit put-off by the negative reviews on here. I would say I'm fairly discerning - my husband would say a snob! But I thought this place was great for a week with the kids. The pools are lovely and clean - although not heated, so pretty chilly. The hotel and grounds were spotless, and rooms cleaned every day. We did join in with some of the entertainment and organised activities, which I'd say were just ok. The food was the thing I was most worried about having read the reviews, and booked all-inclusive - but I thought it was great. There was always fresh salads, fruit, vegetables, fish, meat - and plenty of spaghetti, chips, etc to keep the kids happy. Breakfast was very extensive - everything from cereal to 'full English' to pancakes. And then of course there is the all-day snack bar with a constant supply of ice-creams, slushies and burgers. With three kids, all-inclusive is the way to go - no constant reaching into your pocket for ice-cream money! The hotel is on a hill, others have commented on the steepness getting down to the beach. Yes it is steep, but not really a killer unless you're especially unfit! And the beach is lovely, so definitely worth a visit - although the sea is fairly rough, given the high winds which seem to a standard feature. All in all, I'd consider going back again - or we'd definitely give another Barcelo all-inclusive hotel a whirl!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank BritinUSA6
Write a ReviewReviews (5,682)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Overcrowded and not an enjoyable experience on our fourth visit! Too busy and not enough of everything provided. Eating experience the worst ever as felt like you had to push and shove your way through the noisy overcrowded dining hall to get a bit of Luke warm food which you also had to queue up for! Sunbeds were always taken with towels on them from 7am! Animation team were loud and some unprofessional. Music round pool area comprised of Spanish rap music!! Also my partner became ill with d & v whilst there hence will not be returning!

Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I have just come back from a week at this hotel, first few days not a problem rooms ok cleaned everyday couldn't fault them. Not much to do outside hotel so mainly stayed there this was the problem. The music and entertainment was aimed towards the German and Spanish had a little glimpse of English music this seemed to get everyone in a better mood so why there wasn't more is really confusing to me. The reps were brilliant felt sorry for them in the end as games and music were monotonous so if we were bored imagine how they felt. I could not fault the hotel for service and cleanliness 10 out 10 but the entertainment got a 2 from me.

Room Tip: Try to get blocks 6 to 7 as near the pool otherwise a long climb up the stairs
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Barceló C, Gerente at Occidental Jandia Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Ant,

At first, let me thank your confidence in the Hotel Barceló Jandía Mar to enjoy your holidays. I would also like to thank you the comments that you made through this website. I assure you that we pay special attention to our guests impressions, since they allow us to know the experience that they had during their stay letting us improve our facilities and services day by day.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed a nice holidays and you have made some positive comments about our cleanliness and services. On the other hand, I really sorry that you did not find satisfactory our proposal of entertainment. Our intention consists in a diverse and funny entertainment offer that can be attractive for all the guests. In order to get this, we give special attention to the selection procedure and its formation in order to get a multilingual team whose members include specialized staff in leisure activities. Concerning the entertainment activities, our present program includes several choices of fitness, sportive and cultural activities. Besides, every evening there are different shows with live music, dances, comedy, juggling, … that are developed by our animators or by specialized groups.

However, I know that preferences about this can be very particular, so I understand your comments regretting that you did not like it. Be sure that we will keep working to improve this area and be better every day. Of course, if you want to inform us about which activities or entertainments were better or worse for you, do not hesitate to let us know and we will have this important information into account for the next animation programs.

I hope that you can come back soon and you can check all the improvements that we are making day by day. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again and try to make your holidays so special as you deserve.

Thanks, and best regards from Fuerteventura.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a weeks stay in this hotel.
The hotel is immaculate, and the staff are fantastic, especially the entertainment team.
The food was beautiful, there are many different options on a daily basis, including nights where Chinese and Mexican dishes were served.
The rooms were lovely too, and a good size.
The pool area is fantastic, and the spa is also worth a visit.
I have stated in many high end hotels all over the world, and could not complain about this one. I not hesitate to stay here again!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vianneamini
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Was concerned about this hotel as there were good and bad reviews.And as others have put the rooms could do with a lick of paint and beds not the comfiest,but nothing too bad.
Overall i found the hotel clean and tidy. Pool areas were lovely,plenty of loungers and nice little snack bar.Grounds around the hotel are clean and pretty but anyone who struggles with steps beware,there are lots!! Also although the beach is only a 10min walk away it is down a very steep hill,of which going down is a hell of a lot easier than going up!! Beach clean and sandy, sea lovely once you are in.Good fun on the minigolf course,also a gym,tennis,pool tables etc.
I must say the food was excellent here! Breakfast a great choice of cooked,cereal,pancakes,continental etc.Always fresh and regularly replenished. Lunch allsorts on offer fresh salads,snacks in snackbar. Evening meal varied daily and you could go up as often as you liked.Drinks self-service beer,sangria,wine,juice, pop and coffee. only had to be served if you wanted spirits or cocktails. i would give the food 9.5/10.
Fuerteventura weather can be a bit unpredictable,its very windy sometimes but i like that its more bearable to lie in, and theres less mozzies when its windy!!. It can be hot but the cool pools refresh you.
Would definately recommend this hotel,quiet holiday,great food and drink, shops 15 mins away,loved it.

4  Thank slornalou
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Made the mistake of reading reviews on this hotel the night before we came here! We travelled as a party of 8 adults and a toddler in June 2014.

We had a 2 hour delay at the airport. When we got to Fuertuventura it was late and dark. The coach transfer took an hour and a half. (Seemed a lot longer). The coach was half empty so we were lucky. As we arrived late the driver also put his foot down!

When we got to the hotel we were told there was a buffet put on for us (which they didn't have to do). However it was quite clearly left out from dinner and uncovered so we gave a la flies a miss.

Be warned... Lots of stairs here. Although you do get use to them. First night was tough with 10 cases and push chair. Room was spotless and spacious with a good view. Bathroom was great, very clean and tidy and plenty of space. No kettle though but this didn't prove to be a major problem as there is self service tea and coffee all day/night. Take a travel kettle if you like one in your room!

You have to pay €3 per day for the safe. Towels for the pool/beach require a €10 deposit but you get this back. If you want fresh towels they are then €2 per towel.

Loads of loungers by the pool (no need to reserve) and 2 massive pool areas. One has a very shallow area that small children can stand and walk in. It's quite cold but cools you off and you do get use to it. There is also a heated indoor pool in the spa area if cold water isn't for you.

The gym is ok. The only issue is there is no air conditioning. It's also situated near the indoor pool so it's like working out in a sauna. Good to burn those extra calories!

Plenty of food. Breakfast is 7.30 until 9.30/10. Great choice hot (egg, beans, sausage, bacon, pancakes) and cold with additional fruits breads cereals yoghurt cakes. Something for everyone. Snacks open at 12:00 for most of the afternoon which include burgers, salad, pasta, pizza, chips, Ice cream and fruit. Lunch is from 13:00- 15:00 and a massive selection hot and cold different to snacks and then dinner is 19:00-22:00. The food here is exceptional quality. Don't believe reviews that say it's poor. There is the biggest cheese board (every night) that you have ever seen. So much choice and variety. We had Chinese, Mexican, Italian and a BBQ. There is an a la carte too. You can go once and most good choices are free. There is a small charge for beef fillet or lobster. Some of our party had the beef and said it was amazing!!!! One of the best they have ever had.

Drinks are brilliant. Excellent selection. Most are self service ... fizzy drinks and water, wines, sangria, beers and slush puppies. Spirits or cocktails are served to you. The baileys is great and comes in massive quantities!!!

There is a hill. It's steep but we all managed it several times. We also found out on the last day that you can get down through the hotel!!! The area is quiet. Small stretch of shops... A few more 15 minutes away. Depends what you like. We went away to relax get some sun and not do a lot so it was perfect.

The weather was great. Very hot. However it is very windy.

Summary. I wouldn't go back to fuertuventura. I didn't enjoy the climate. Night times are chilly (after dinner) so take something long and a light jacket/cardigan. You will need it. Superb food and drink. Excellent choice and taste. Self service was a great idea as no queuing. Could not fault it. Great room, view and spacious. One of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in. No litter or mess anywhere it's spotless. Ignore the poorer reviews and make your own mind up. We all thought the hotel was great!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
9  Thank Nilly1
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are a bit dated but nothing too bad. The rooms were spotless and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Now the bad bits.
The pool is freezing, I couldn't use it.
Everything is catered for the Germans but we were still made to feel welcome.
The maid stole my jacket. I know it was her because I remember hanging it up ready to use that night. It really put a damper on a fab holiday.
The snack bar was closed the whole time of our stay which was annoying. That meant we couldn't really eat anything if we were peckish between meals.

I would come back just for the beaches! Amazing beaches. Oasis park was brilliant too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 1982thekidsmum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pajara
Occidental Jandia Playa
Iberostar Playa Gaviotas Park
Iberostar Playa Gaviotas Park
#3 of 14 in Playa de Jandia
Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Occidental Jandia Mar? Share your experiences!