“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Weston
West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
“Excellent stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Pam, the general manager, bent over backwards to accommodate my needs. I am allergic to pets and a very light sleeper. She put me in a suite that had probably never had pets, since they try to limit them to first floor accommodations. She put me away from the many families that populate this facility on weekends. And I think she even upgraded me to a type of suite with a sitting room to be even quieter. The free breakfast was fine, including the same pancake machine I've recently enjoyed at some of the Delta Airlines SkyClubs VIP lounges. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and accommodating. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone coming this way. Thanks Pam!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Larry K
heyroth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
My staff and I want to thank you for taking the time to state your comments. We work very hard to make sure that your entire stay is a pleasant one, in your case I see we succeeded. We want to invite you back the next time you are in the Wausau area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I like to occasionally check out local hotels for my out of town employees to stay at while in town. This property was within a mile of my business, and there was a sign outside advertising contractor rates. Being fairly new, I thought it might be a good fit. Boy was I wrong! I'm very thankful I stayed here prior to sending anyone else here.

First the good: The pool area was quite nice, however MUCH smaller than the pictures make it appear. I brought my son to swim for the night and he enjoyed himself, however early into the evening, the staff came in and put caution tape around the kiddie pool area. There was no explanation as to why and there was no reason apparent to me as to why. There weren't any young children in it the whole time we were there. The morning breakfast was above average for most hotels, although the eggs tasted powdered and they were watery and burnt on the top, as if they were baked in the oven - yuck.There was a large selection, so more than enough to fill up on without the powdered eggs.

The bad: The room was adequate and the beds were comfortable, however there were dark stains all over the carpet. One even felt a little sticky, as if it were fairly new and obviously no attempt was made to remove it. There were dogs everywhere! I was surprised at the number of dogs. And one was a large lab. I would think that the people with dogs would be put on the lower floor rooms with the patio doors so they could go out their own private entrance to let them out, not on the 2nd floor rooms where they are paraded down the halls to get to an exit. This hotel is the absolute worst I've ever stayed in for noise level. And it wasn't so much that the guests were loud and obnoxious - it's that I could hear everything! Doors closing, people walking, you could hear the murmur next door of peoples conversations. You could hear the TV's in the rooms next to you. We had just come up from the pool and changed into our pajamas when there was a knock at the door. It was the woman from the front desk telling me that there was a disturbance complaint from the people below us. We hadn't been in our room for more than 10 minutes. I told her that it couldn't have been us, as we had just gotten to our room. She was very rude and said the complaint was against us, so just keep it down. Maybe 20 minutes later, as we were laying in bed, another knock at the door. It was the man staying in the room below us. He asked if we could keep it down. At this point I KNEW it wasn't us because we were in bed. As I had the door open trying to explain this to him, I could hear what sounded like a gathering down the hall. It didn't seem overly loud to me by any means, but we both walked down there and sure enough that must have been where the noise was coming from. They were not loud enough to be a disturbance by any means, but the thumping of them walking around must have sounded much louder to the floors below them.

Unfortunately, the sound barrier is shoddy construction and there isn't anything they can do to fix this, so I see no potential, despite the good facilities, for this property to improve.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank westonsmom
heyroth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
I have been forwarded your cmments in regards to our hotel. Our breakfast is set up according to standards so I do apologize it was not to your liking. In the morning we do pool maintenance, when adding chemicals we close off the pool area for about 30 minutes to make sure all is fine with them. It seems everything was not up to your satisfaction and I and my staff apologize for that. We strive to offer a great experience and in your case we failed.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Unfriendly staff from check in to check out! The carpet in the hallway was worn and dirty looking as it was in my room. The furniture in my room was stained. I was afraid to sit on the chair or even put my luggage on the bench that was terrible stained and dirty looking! The calking around the tub was gone and had mold/mildew. I stayed more than one night and they did not replenish towels or clean out coffee pot after the first night.
I had stayed here a year ago and thought it was the nicest hotel I had ever stayed at. I can't believe how run down it is.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
heyroth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me. Guest feedback, wether positive or negative, is an important tool in providing quality service.
I apologize for the problems you encountered and want to assure you tis will be addressed with all staff.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have stayed here before, and was always please. This time I had my wife and daughter along, and we had a junior suite. So it comes to bedtime and my 6 year old thinks it will be awesome to sleep in the "other" room with the pull out sofa. That is until we pulle out the sofa. It had to have been a years worth of dirt, bottlecaps, food crumbs, and it had a sheet on it, so you know they have not changed the sheets on this bed in a very long time.

Not only was my daughter dissappointed, but my wife and I were disgusted!!!!! Unfortunately it is 10PM at night while writing this from my room, and I am not calling the front desk, my daughter will just sleep with us tonight. There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for this lack of cleaning on a surface your suppose to sleep on. Shame on you Holiday inn Express!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Happyharvick
We have received your comments and apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay and have taken the opportunity to discuss this with my staff. We always try to give our guests comfort they deserve and regret those occasions when we do not live up to our guest expectations.
We will be striving hard to make sure this situation does not occur again.
Schofield, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Got a suite for the weekend, usually the staff is very pleasant and helpful. Not this go round. The room above us was overly noisy well past 3:30am,sounded like the ceiling was caving in. Talking to the front desk was like talking to myself. Usually it's very a pleasant trip, this is why we choice this hotel over going across the street. Not this time....

• Stayed February 2014
heyroth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with my staff and I. We try very hard to impress the guests and in your case we failed to do so. I want to assure you I personally will address thse issues with all the staff. We will work harder to deserve your business.
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Thought I should start with the Positives: Food. The breakfast spread(quality and selection) was above average and the staff worked hard to keep up with the demand which at times was relentless. Staff. They did try hard to fix our group's reservations [BTW, if you go through some site like Hotels dot com then make sure your reservation is transferred to HIE as your EXACT requirements for bed configuration (King vs 2 Queens) instead of 'Best available room', just sayin]
Negatives: Capacity. When the hotel is full, expect to have no hot water in the morning. And get down early for breakfast. Noise. The doors slam like you won't believe and when there are a lot of kids, well, you get the idea.
As adults, we'd look for a different place next time, however for families, especially if you're skiing, etc, it's probably fine.
Suggestion to HIE - take out the TVs in the bathroom(useless) and install soft closers for the doors.

Room Tip: We were on a second floor end room and I'd say anywhere where you could limit the number of door...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
heyroth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay with us. My staff and I work very hard to make it enjoyable for you. With all the families on the weekends we realize it can become quite noisy. I fI can make a suggestion the next time you stay with us request upper floor to get away from the noise. We certainly will take your concerns into consideration.
San Tan Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and found it excellent each time. This time, however, I was put in room 206, which is above the furnace/mechanical room. Every 20 minutes or so a loud noise came on that sounded like a shopvac. This went on all night. I will definitely be back, as the staff, rooms, breakfasts and amenities are terrific, but I will know which room not to stay in.

Room Tip: Dont stay in 206
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jd318us
heyroth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
My staff and I want to thank you for your kind words. We will definetly check that room to see what is going on. We want to invite you back during your next stay in Wausau.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wausau
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wausau
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Weston
Hampton Inn Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
#2 of 10 in Wausau

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau? Share your experiences!