“Best Hotel in Wausau”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Weston
Hartland, Wisconsin
“Best Hotel in Wausau”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

When I made my reservation for a King Executive Suite I used the IHG Rewards 1-800 line. However, when I arrived at the Hotel on April 3rd 2014, I was informed that the 1-800 agent that took the my reservation had not reserved the King Executive Suite but had instead reserved a Single King Room. That meant I would not have the extra sitting room that I needed.

While talking with Lori and Candice at the front desk they told me that the Hotel was booked solid but they would see what could be done. They in turn spoke with the Hotel Mgr. Marie Morrison who told me she understood the problem and would do everything she could to correct the error but that it may take a little time to correct. So she suggested that if I could wait before checking in it would give her the time she would need to correct the problem. This was not a real problem for me to wait as I had planned to go out for dinner anyway.

While I was eating dinner. Lori called my cell phone to say they had corrected the problem and I now could check in. When I got back to the hotel I asked how they corrected the problem. Thats when I was told that Marie had talked with another guest and got permission from that guest to switch the room that they had for the one that I was booked for in error.

I would say that Marie and the entire staff went well beyond what is normal to correct the problem that was not in any way their fault! This type of attention to customer needs proved to me that, no matter what the problem is or who is at fault, the entire staff and management at this Hotel are without a doubt 5 Star people.

It should also be noted that I have, in the past, stayed at most of the Hotels in the Wausau area and NONE are as well run or more concerned about customer staisfaction as the Holiday Inn Express Weston/Wausau!

Room Tip: If you are on a Business trip and need a small sitting room or if you are traveling with kids the Ki...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
heyroth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
My staff and I wish to thank you for taking the time to post your comment. Please visit us again when you are in the Wausau area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed hundreds of nights in Holiday Inn Express hotels. When I'm unsure of the town I will generally seek out an Express. I usually know what to expect with the properties. I do stay in more expensive accommodations but the Expresses are generally consistent, with the exception of this one. Upon check in I was pleasantly welcomed, not the fake welcome, but a genuine "I'm glad you are here". I checked in at 7:30 and was told that there was a Managers reception that went until 8:00 which included some snacks and a two complimentary beverages. This was a pleasant surprise and out if the ordinary for the brand. I went up to my room to drop off my bags before heading back to the lobby. When I opened my room I was shocked. I had opted the couple of dollars more for the better room. I don't know what a standard room was but this one was fantastic. There was a seal try sitting area aside from the bedroom area complete with a couch and TV, the bedroom area was very nice, also with a TV. The bathroom was pretty large and also had a TV. Yes I know that may seem kind if silly but it was kind of cool to listen and watch to the morning news while getting ready in the morning. The furniture was in perfect shape, the climate control was perfect and on when I arrived in the room. I know many hotels that turn it off to save the money but walking into an uncomfortable room gives a poor first impression, for me anyway. I spend enough nights in hotels every year that the little things make a difference. I'm not sure how new this property is but my room was super clean, I mean meticulously clean. I wish all of my stays could be like this one. I was kind of bummed that I was only staying one night. The hotel was very close to the airport (CWA) which was the reason I chose it. As a side note there is a little burger and beer place that is just across the parking lot. It's a gem all on its own. I would put this in the top three Holiday Inn Express hotels I've stayed at and I literally have stayed in more than 100 different ones. I read a negative review about the property and I know that everyone has a different experience and I'd never discount another's opinion but I'd recommend this hotel to anyone and I'd go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank BT_RoadWarrior
heyroth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
My staff and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us during your stay. Our number one goal is to make sure everything in regards to your time with us is enjoyable. Please visit us again when you are in the Wausau area.
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I do stay at this hotel at least once every other week if not more. The hotel itself is very nice with good amenities. The check in staff is always very friendly and during the week their managers reception is a nice retreat. But within the last two weeks three of the four times I've stayed there, they do full maintenance on their hot tub right away in the morning which renders the hot tub useless. I find it very strange that the pool is closed all night and no maintenance could be done until right away in the morning when guests may want to use it. It may not be a big thing if you're not a hot tub user, but to me I will probably be changing my local hotel in Wausau Wisconsin because of this reason. Like I said if those things don't matter to you it is a great hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jokefawcett
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. In regards to the maintenance on the hot tub, we do this every morning when our Cheif engineer comes in to make sure all is good. I will certainly suggest to him to start the process earlier in the morning, so as not to disrupt our guests.
West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Pam, the general manager, bent over backwards to accommodate my needs. I am allergic to pets and a very light sleeper. She put me in a suite that had probably never had pets, since they try to limit them to first floor accommodations. She put me away from the many families that populate this facility on weekends. And I think she even upgraded me to a type of suite with a sitting room to be even quieter. The free breakfast was fine, including the same pancake machine I've recently enjoyed at some of the Delta Airlines SkyClubs VIP lounges. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and accommodating. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone coming this way. Thanks Pam!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Larry K
heyroth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
My staff and I want to thank you for taking the time to state your comments. We work very hard to make sure that your entire stay is a pleasant one, in your case I see we succeeded. We want to invite you back the next time you are in the Wausau area.
wisconsin
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I like to occasionally check out local hotels for my out of town employees to stay at while in town. This property was within a mile of my business, and there was a sign outside advertising contractor rates. Being fairly new, I thought it might be a good fit. Boy was I wrong! I'm very thankful I stayed here prior to sending anyone else here.

First the good: The pool area was quite nice, however MUCH smaller than the pictures make it appear. I brought my son to swim for the night and he enjoyed himself, however early into the evening, the staff came in and put caution tape around the kiddie pool area. There was no explanation as to why and there was no reason apparent to me as to why. There weren't any young children in it the whole time we were there. The morning breakfast was above average for most hotels, although the eggs tasted powdered and they were watery and burnt on the top, as if they were baked in the oven - yuck.There was a large selection, so more than enough to fill up on without the powdered eggs.

The bad: The room was adequate and the beds were comfortable, however there were dark stains all over the carpet. One even felt a little sticky, as if it were fairly new and obviously no attempt was made to remove it. There were dogs everywhere! I was surprised at the number of dogs. And one was a large lab. I would think that the people with dogs would be put on the lower floor rooms with the patio doors so they could go out their own private entrance to let them out, not on the 2nd floor rooms where they are paraded down the halls to get to an exit. This hotel is the absolute worst I've ever stayed in for noise level. And it wasn't so much that the guests were loud and obnoxious - it's that I could hear everything! Doors closing, people walking, you could hear the murmur next door of peoples conversations. You could hear the TV's in the rooms next to you. We had just come up from the pool and changed into our pajamas when there was a knock at the door. It was the woman from the front desk telling me that there was a disturbance complaint from the people below us. We hadn't been in our room for more than 10 minutes. I told her that it couldn't have been us, as we had just gotten to our room. She was very rude and said the complaint was against us, so just keep it down. Maybe 20 minutes later, as we were laying in bed, another knock at the door. It was the man staying in the room below us. He asked if we could keep it down. At this point I KNEW it wasn't us because we were in bed. As I had the door open trying to explain this to him, I could hear what sounded like a gathering down the hall. It didn't seem overly loud to me by any means, but we both walked down there and sure enough that must have been where the noise was coming from. They were not loud enough to be a disturbance by any means, but the thumping of them walking around must have sounded much louder to the floors below them.

Unfortunately, the sound barrier is shoddy construction and there isn't anything they can do to fix this, so I see no potential, despite the good facilities, for this property to improve.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank westonsmom
heyroth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
I have been forwarded your cmments in regards to our hotel. Our breakfast is set up according to standards so I do apologize it was not to your liking. In the morning we do pool maintenance, when adding chemicals we close off the pool area for about 30 minutes to make sure all is fine with them. It seems everything was not up to your satisfaction and I and my staff apologize for that. We strive to offer a great experience and in your case we failed.
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Unfriendly staff from check in to check out! The carpet in the hallway was worn and dirty looking as it was in my room. The furniture in my room was stained. I was afraid to sit on the chair or even put my luggage on the bench that was terrible stained and dirty looking! The calking around the tub was gone and had mold/mildew. I stayed more than one night and they did not replenish towels or clean out coffee pot after the first night.
I had stayed here a year ago and thought it was the nicest hotel I had ever stayed at. I can't believe how run down it is.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
heyroth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me. Guest feedback, wether positive or negative, is an important tool in providing quality service.
I apologize for the problems you encountered and want to assure you tis will be addressed with all staff.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have stayed here before, and was always please. This time I had my wife and daughter along, and we had a junior suite. So it comes to bedtime and my 6 year old thinks it will be awesome to sleep in the "other" room with the pull out sofa. That is until we pulle out the sofa. It had to have been a years worth of dirt, bottlecaps, food crumbs, and it had a sheet on it, so you know they have not changed the sheets on this bed in a very long time.

Not only was my daughter dissappointed, but my wife and I were disgusted!!!!! Unfortunately it is 10PM at night while writing this from my room, and I am not calling the front desk, my daughter will just sleep with us tonight. There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for this lack of cleaning on a surface your suppose to sleep on. Shame on you Holiday inn Express!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Happyharvick
We have received your comments and apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay and have taken the opportunity to discuss this with my staff. We always try to give our guests comfort they deserve and regret those occasions when we do not live up to our guest expectations.
We will be striving hard to make sure this situation does not occur again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wausau
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Weston
Jefferson Street Inn
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 11 in Wausau

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau? Share your experiences!