“Soooo dirty....”

The White Hart Inn
Washington
“Soooo dirty....”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed at the White Hart Inn on September 10 for one night. I tried to book on line and found a room for 75 Sterling on the website; however, knowing that getting a web rate sometimes the worse room is assigned, I phoned and booked the room for 20 Sterling additional (total 95 Sterling). Maybe this was the best room they have but it was still horrible. There was linen on the little lobby on the bottom of the steps from the time I got there until I checked out. The room was so dirty that I did not take my socks off during my whole stay. See pictures of the wall (stained with coffee all over). The bathroom was a shame. There was a leak going up in the shower (yes going up). I was going to tell the reception but then I realized that the leak must have been there forever as the ceiling was coming down were the water met the roof (see picture). To top it all, the staff was not kind, just the minimum. I asked how to get to Heathrow from there and the lady told me that she was too busy to help me and that she was going to drop the directions in my room, I am still waiting. Fortunately, the staff in the little library on the main road is great and they helped me. The little village is adorable but stay away of this place. When checking out I informed the reception of the status of the room and she told me that she was going to inform the housekeeping. REALLY!!! I thought, you should have informed it already, check the net to see what people think. I checked before and I thought they had taken care of the situation after so many complains but of course not.

Room Tip: My room was terrible and I paid above average, so imagine.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The White Hart Inn, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us at the White Hart. We would like to convey our sincere apologies for any failures you may have encountered during your stay. We can assure you that your experience does not reflect the normal high standards of quality and hospitality that we set ourselves. We are also sure that there are lessons’ to be learned from your experience with regards to the cleaning of the rooms and we assure you this is our number one priority moving forward.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed at the White Hart for a special occasion with my family on Friday 7th September 2012 for 1 night having booked 5 double rooms at £65 per room including breakfast. The pub was very nice, the bar served 2 different types of real ale, the beer garden was excellent and the breakfast was good as well. The staff were very helpful and couldn't be faulted.

However, the pub lets itself down bigtime over cleanliness. None of the toilets in the 5 rooms seemed to have been cleaned at all since the previous guest(s) had left. In fact, in 1 room the toilet had not been flushed properly by the previous guest and we had the dubious pleasure of viewing what they had left in the toilet bowl. Even little things like giving the tray that had the coffee sachets on a quick wipe seemed beyond the cleaning staff so there were still coffee stains on the tray from the previous guest.

We didn't arrive until 6.30 in the evening so the staff had had 6 hours to sort the rooms out. I was informed that the general reception/bar staff also did the cleaning. Maybe The White Hart would be better off employing professional cleaning staff. When I came to check out, the manager was nowhere to be seen so I was unable to give him my constructive criticism.

I would definitely stay again but only if the cleaning problems are resolved.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The White Hart Inn, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for letting us know how lovely the garden and our facilities were and how good our breakfast is. However we are disappointed that our cleanliness let us down the team have been tasked and this should never happen again.
Norwich
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The staff were very welcoming and the hotel easy to find. Our room was clean, plain, very basic but a very good size. Our evening meal was very good and buffet breakfast was excellent. The beer garden is very attractive and ideal on this hot weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Warrington, Cheshire
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here for 1 night whilst on business in the area. The only staff I saw was Derek. He was extremely pleasant & obviously very hard working. He seemed to be doing everything. I wouldn't be surprised if he cooked the fantastic breakfast. The pub/hotel is more than adequate. I didn't have dinner there but the restaurant was well patronised. The only thing that let it down was the cleaning. The restaurant at breakfast had traces of the previous evenings meals all around. My room was well appointed but the toilet was dirty as was the floor around the skirting boards. The newish chrome bathroom fittings were stained. All it needs is a cleaner with an eye for detail. There's no excuse for dirt and the management must take the blame for not ensuring that the cleaners clean!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, Owner at The White Hart Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed here and celebrated the Jubilee with a friend. Derek the hotel manager was an absolute star. The room was nice and clean and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was tasty and full some. If I have cause to visit Chalfont St Giles again, I shall definitely check out the White Hart Inn again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The manager and his front-of-house staff are excellent - cheerful and willing to go the extra mile - which is becoming rarer these days. One of our dinners was very good but the veggie one was really quite dire. Otherwise, the restaurant is attractive with an exceptional range of interesting sounding dishes and the breakfast was very good too. The accommodation has seen better days although you might put up with this, and even the cheeky £75 per room b&b, if you're just doing a quick overnight.

Room Tip: Room 8 should be chosen by a Hobbit who doesn't want to read in bed.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

quite a nice place - with very friendly staff, good food and spacious rooms. the only strange thing was the odor in the room - not the pleasant one. got used to in couple of hours, but management should definitely get rid of it

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The White Hart Inn, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chalfont St. Giles
#2 of 2 in Amersham
Ethorpe Hotel
Ethorpe Hotel
#2 of 5 in Gerrards Cross

Been to The White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!