“Enjoyable Friday lunch in the bar” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ivy House

The Ivy House
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A beautiful flint and brick old English inn, The Ivy House is right in the heart of the Chiltern Vale and renowned for its excellent food, real ales and extensive wine list. With quaint accommodation, it's also one of the best places to stay in the Chiltern Hills.Everyone gets a warm welcome at The Ivy House, and we pride ourselves on being one of the area's best child-friendly pubs. With baby changing facilities, outside seating and enough garden for the kids to enjoy, this is a great spot for a family meal. Just 40 minutes from central London, we're surrounded by stunning countryside that provides a great escape from the city. Walkers, ramblers and lovers of the outdoor can enjoy the area's open green spaces - and then a great meal at The Ivy House!
“Enjoyable Friday lunch in the bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

First visit in a few years - lunch - well prepared fish and chips and especially the rice pudding was very tasty. Service was attentive and polite

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Great meal and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had three courses from the a la carte menu. Ham hock terrine followed by succulent steaks and delicious puddings. The staff were friendly and attentive and we wouldn't hesitate to go back next time we are in the area.

• Visited April 2014
London
“Best steak in a long time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Dined as a family of 4 in the bar area over the bank holiday, using a Travelzoo voucher. It had taken 3 attempts to book, as there is clearly very limited availability for voucher holders, which was disappointing, but we got there in the end!
The menu is tempting and comprehensive. The ham hock was delicious, the fish cakes light in texture but too 'potatoey' and lacking flavour. The mains, however, were superb - best rump steak we have had in a long time, delicious duck and beautifully battered fish. We tried the parfait, chocolate torte and baba for pud - the first 2 looked a bit small on the plate but were so rich and tasty that the portion was spot on. The baba was a bit heavy, as others have said, but probably not a good choice on our part after a filling meal! Interestingly I also found the torte had a 'soggy bottom' which I left - but would not have felt worthy of comment had it not been for the exchange below!
The bar area was full of diners and people at the bar, but worked well and had a good atmosphere.
The service was friendly and knowledgeable but very slow - the staff that were there were working hard but it looked too much to expect them to run the bar and serve at half a dozen or so tables.
Overall discovering the Ivy House as a 'local' was great and we will definitely return.

• Visited April 2014
buckinghamshire
“lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

we are a family of six and had Travelzoo vouchers for a three course meal and a glass of prosecco. We thought the service and food were amazing value for money and although we went on a quiet day and they only had two staff on duty ..they coped well and left enough time between courses without us feeling rushed or forgotten.Our waitress reeled off the ten odd flavours of ice cream effortlessly !!!
Will definitely be back !

• Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor service and not value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Having read the other reviews for this restaurant I wonder if I went to the same place. A party of 6 went for Sunday lunch as a birthday/mothers day treat. The food was OK apart from the desserts, though overpriced, but the service was very poor. We ate in the bar as opposed to the restaurant so were unable to see if the restaurant was very busy, which might account for some delays, but the staff in sight who served us were not busy at all. The service was painfully slow and inattentive. It took us over 3 hours to have a 3 course meal and the wait for the desserts we ordered was ridiculously long. The most noticeable problems were soup being served without a spoon, hairs and shrivelled grapes served with the cheese platter, a rum baba that was not recognisable as a rum baba and was dry with very little rum, and a noticably stale French biscuit base for the Sable dessert. Finally, when asked what flavours of ice cream were available the waitress did not know and just said "The usual". This was a disappointment as at £4.50 for 3 scoops I had expected a good and varied choice. Needless to say none of our party will be going there again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Elizabeth B, Manager at The Ivy House, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank-you for your valued feedback. I am sorry that you visit was not a pleasant one, however I am struggling to know how to respond to some of your comments as a couple of them are confusing to me. I remember your table, and had been sure you had had a pleasant experience, as at all times when we had checked back to your table there had been a positive response and smiles.
My bookings diary confirms what I had thought, that you were booked in for 2.00pm and arrived near enough spot on this- a couple of minutes after In fact- and that your table was cleared at 4.30pm following your departure by a waitress who then finished her shift. Considering it would have taken you around 20 minutes from arrival to order, and that you took a break to do a birthday cake between mains and desserts, I do feel that saying your overall meal took over three hours is a little unfair on us- perhaps it seemed longer than it was.
I do thoroughly and sincerely apologise for a few aspects that you have commented on. The forgetting the soup spoon was completely my fault, I took your order and should have laid it up straight away, sorry -baby brain seems to have set in at 5 months pregnant, no excuse I know!
I was also aware of the 20 minute wait for your desserts and this is not acceptable. We usually aim for 10 minutes and 15 minutes is considered the maximum we would like- I had in fact just chased the desserts up myself when you did. It doesn’t excuse it, but it was a busy day- doing 83 covers overall- and unfortunately the kitchen ended up with about 30 desserts to make all at once, where people had eaten mains at different speeds etc.
I also agree that the grapes on the cheese board were not of the standard they should have been, which is why I was of course more than happy to replace them immediately, and I do apologise again for that, it is something we will be keeping a closer eye on in the future.
Most of all, I am really sorry for the service you received from the waitress who took your dessert order. This is of course not acceptable and has already been dealt with appropriately. Again this may have been a fault of mine, it was only her third shift with us and after some practise goes with me and other members of staff present, I felt that she was ready to take a dessert order on her own, but she must have still been a bit nervous and unsure to go over alone.
The other comments about the desserts are the ones that have confused me. The sable for example, cannot have been stale as I know for a fact that they were made fresh that morning. It is a traditional French cakey biscuit, perhaps you were not expecting its biscuit texture? The rum baba also, is meant to be a sponge cake, enriched with butter (similarly to brioche) and then soaked in rum syrup. Again perhaps you were expecting something different to what you received, but our baba does look and taste the same to ones I have seen in the past.
I really don’t like to hear that customers have not had an experience with us that lives up to expectations, we are obviously not perfect yet- but are constantly striving to be- so any feedback is really appreciated. If I had been aware of your dissatisfaction on the day, I would have of course done my upmost to rectify it by removing the problem items from the bill. I certainly would have removed the service charge from the bill, had I known that you were not satisfied with the service. As it is, all I can say is that I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your visit and I hope that you change your mind and do decide to give us another go in the future as yours is not the normal response we get from our customers. I would love to offer you a voucher to dine with us, to encourage you to give us another chance to impress you. If you would like to accept this, please redeem it with me, quoting this message, via email: Elizabeth@theivy-house.com.
Thank-you again, and I really hope we do end up seeing you in the future as I found you to be very friendly and enjoyable customers to serve,
Yours Sincerely,