“Small but comfortable”

The Ivy House
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Small but comfortable”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights on aB&B bases. Thd room was very small but comfortable.
We were greated by friendly staff and where helped to our room.
Breakfast on the first morning was great and the man was extremely nice.
Day two the waitress was hung over no cereal was on display or offered. I asked for boiled egg and one of them was not cooked properly and I was unable to eat it. This went unnoticed. When we were leaving the building 30 minutes after breakfast the dirty dishes were still lying on the table.
Day three the chief slept in but that can happen to anyone. Again thec man was lovely and went out of his way to take care of us, he woke the chief up who as sleeping upstairs.
We are in the restaurant one night and the food was good but the portions were a bit
on the small side. Overall this was value for money and I would stay there again.
The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Walked in at around 2.30 after popping up to the white lion for a meal and being told they was fully booked because it was mothers day, to find a nearly empty pub and to be told they could just fit us in. We sat outside with our son and had a very tasty meal potato's were cold but veg and meat was excellent so to complain would have spoiled it. We had two sunday roasts and a childs fish and chips which I must say looked great. We had a round of drinks which was a pint of london pride a coke and a apple juice for the boy . The beer was spot on and the other two drinks looked good to me. The only issue which really has got to me and has made me not want to use the ivy house on a more regular basis is the service charge what was put on and I didn't notice it until I got home. £4.11 service charge on one round of drinks and 3 basic meals . As it was I didn't mind paying £27 for two sunday dinners as I new they would be good.
Take off the service charge . If people want to tip they will and if the tips are not happening then it tells you the service is not up to scratch. Customers should not have to tell you they don't want to pay it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy H
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Booked a table in the bar area for mother's day/a birthday thing. It all started well, slightly limited choice on the menu and not good vegetarian options (a risotto or a tart). I was surprised they couldn't do the chicken on the menu because they had roast chicken as a Sunday roast option. Good service to begin with (except for forgetting a spoon to go with a soup). The main course was very tasty and everyone enjoyed themselves up until this point.

Goodness knows what happened after this. A sulky waitress came over to take our dessert orders. On the menu it says to ask the staff what flavour ice creams they have available. When my mum did this she was met with a "Dunno, vanilla, strawberry, the usual" and a bad attitude!!! The waitress forgot the J2O that was ordered and for some reason our desserts took 20 minutes and a reminder to arrive and when it did arrive, there were hairs on 3 of our plates (we only complained about one), moldy grapes, which were readily exchanged for fresh ones. The rum baba was not a rum baba. It was a brioche cakey thing with coconut ice cream, not soaked in rum at all. A stale french biscuit came with another dessert. The quality of desserts was a real let down maybe because they were rushed I suspect because they were forgotten about. If it was particularly busy I can understand, but there was only one other table in the bar and several members of staff were just hanging around talking while we had a table full of extra and empty glasses.

I don't have high expectations necessarily when eating in a bar area, but value for money is severely let down by the service. When you pay for the meal you pay for the whole experience including the service and for that it was overpriced. My other half did not want to leave a full service charge, but it's automatically added on and no one likes to kick up a fuss in front of a table full of family members so we paid it, but weren't impressed by the assumption.

We had a lovely waitress to begin with in a maroon coloured top. But after the mains it all went downhill and left the afternoon on a somewhat disappointed note. We hadn't been back to the Ivy House since they got taken over and I don't think we'd be back to eat again. We would go back for a drink as there is a wonderful view from the garden.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura B
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I went for dinner there. I had driven past the place almost daily for the last 24 years but had never been in. I only wondered why it took me so long to decide to eat there. I will definitely be going again (and not in another 24 years time!). The food was excellent as was the service. Ambience was outstanding. I would highly recommend the Ivy House to any other people wondering where to go for dinner one evening.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We brought a deal off of travelzoo which was excellent value (3 courses and a glass of prosecco for two people for £29). I wasn't expecting much for this price but I have to say it was lovely! We were able to order off the main menu which offered plenty of choice.

Will definitely return and would pay full price! Looking forward to going when the summe comes as their garden looks lovely!

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I visited the Ivy House after walking along the Misbourne from Amersham a very pleasant walk.
We arrived at the pub and sat in the bar area and I went up and ordered drinks and started a bill as we were going to have a light lunch.
The service was polite and courteous but I was disappointed that when I came to pay the bill had a 12.5% service charge.
I would have been happy to pay that if I had eaten in the restaurant with linen tablecloths and did not get my own drinks from the bar.
I would have asked them to take the service off had I noticed it at the time.
Other than that I enjoyed the place so will go back happily

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank h00ghie
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We visited The Ivy House for the first time on Thursday evening. The food was excellent and the staff were very pleasant. The atmosphere was good and very relaxing. There is a large car park. We will visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
The Kings Arms Hotel
The Kings Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Amersham
Premier Inn High Wycombe / Beaconsfield Hotel

Been to The Ivy House? Share your experiences!