“Southern Paradise”

Fragrant Nature Backwater Resort & Ayurveda Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Kollam
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I had been to Kerala for the first time and wanted to spend some quality time amidst the nature. Fragrant Nature is the perfect place for this. It has everything you would expect for the ideal Kerala getaway experience.

The staff gave us a lovely welcome and guided us to a beautiful villa in a private location. The atmosphere was extremely peaceful and serence. The room itself was neat and well decorated. The staff gave us all round attention and would be there within minutes to provide for all your needs.

You can indulge in many activites as part of your stay including fishing and boating in the lake that overlooks the resorts and book a houseboat.

The food suited me very well as it wasn't too oily. I love seafood and you can get fresh crab and spicy prawn curries made to order.

Please make it a point to visit this resort anytime you are in Kerala!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank tina_varghese
Sajeeshkurup, General Manager at Fragrant Nature Backwater Resort & Ayurveda Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Fragrant Nature as your holiday destination and for taking time out to share your feedback on your recent stay with us in trip advisor.

We are very much delighted to know that your stay was comfortable and you have enjoyed every aspects of our service.Your positive feed back is certainly a inspiration to all the staff and this enables us to do better.

Thank you once again for supporting us and we look forward to welcome you back to this paradise close to nature.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights over New Years Eve 2014. We had booked it on Small Luxury Hotel of the World, and (guess what?) we expected a small, luxury hotel.
This was the first time that we used this booking agent, and this will be the last...

We emailed the hotel the day before leaving our previous hotel in Pondicherry, asking for a transfer to be arranged from Trivandrum airport. Within 2 hours we had a reply, simply stating that we had cancelled our booking. We had indeed cancelled a booking, only to book the same room again at a lower price. In other words we had made a booking and indeed I had the email confirmation to prove it.

I immediately forwarded the reply to SLH customer services, which may not exist as far as I know. I'm still waiting to receive an acknowledgement of my email, let alone a reply or even an action to resolve.

Having forwarded my booking confirmation to the hotel, they then replied to inform me that they had a room available and my booking had been reinstated. Note "reinstated", because as it turned out later it was the booking I had cancelled that had been reinstated - at the higher rate, and without the amenities listed... I guess you're starting to get the gist here, but it's not over.

Transfer was on time, clean car, nice driver, and the welcome at the hotel at night was pleasant. We were getting more and more excited. It was dark outside, and we were guided to our "exclusive villa designed with couples and privacy in mind". It didn't look exclusive, rather standard with tiled floors, and the "flower arrangement" promised was a single flower in a glass. Note that I care much about a flower arrangement, but it rings more alarm bells when the description is so outrageously misleading.

The first thing we noticed was a chatting noise. A bit like someone is sitting in the room having a chat with a child. Not shouting, just talking. The room had a communicating door to the next "exclusive villa design with couples and privacy in mind", and we could literally hear every word of their conversation.
The bathroom smelt of damp and we quickly uncovered the highlight of the evening: a brown (presumably dirty) pair of woman underwear (I think) hanging at the back of the bathroom door. Needless to say, the housekeeping manager runs a tight ship... not.

We immediately asked to be moved in another room, and were indeed moved to an exactly identical room (with the exception of the "flower arrangement", the "fruit basket", the communicating door, and the woman underwear hanging at the back of the bathroom door).

Food at the buffet is below average (but cheap), service is more proactive than attentive, the swimming pool can only accommodate 8 couples at a time.

Should I mention the safe incident, when the in-room safe broke (yes I know, never seen that before either), and the staff (including, wait for this, the "engineering department manager") seemed to ignore the fact that I kept telling them that we hadn't forgotten the code. 3 different people proceeded to try 50+ keys to open the safe in turn, before eventually agreeing that it needed to be broken into. Which they did and apologised for.

Fast forward to check out when I'm presented with a bill 20% higher than what I expected. Remember the "reinstated booking" before. Rude, aggressive, arrogant, insulting and ignorant reception staff eventually agreed (with agreement from the hotel manager who I only met once - on that day).

This place is a nightmare. Don't go there unless you like sloppy, overpriced service and arrogant staff. Don't.

Room Tip: I don't there are any, but you may want to be close to the swimming pool and restaurant as this...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank froginlondon
Sajeeshkurup, General Manager at Fragrant Nature Backwater Resort & Ayurveda Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Guest,

It is unfortunate that you were unhappy about some elements of your stay and we apologise for any gaps that happened from our side. We do our best to avoid technical and mechanical errors, and If at all any system fails, we rectify or replace. We have noted all your points and will bring in more stringent audits to ensure a flawless service and experience.

Our percentage of positive comments will itself vouch for our commitment in offering exemplary service to all our guests and we will certainly go an extra mile to better it!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed in this resort from Jan 31St to Feb 3, 2014 with my wife in lake facing room.The property is amazing and people at the front office are very polite.We also availed transport from their travel desk for 4 days it was quite nice.Mr prashanth and Mr.Ram sing were very polite and help full other people at the reception were also quite decent hospitable.Restaurant can be still better in terms of food quality and tariff is slightly on the higher side,my over all experience was really memorable and in my next visit to Kollam i will never think of any other hotel.True to its name not only resort even the whole staff are fragrant and natural.

Room Tip: Lake facing rooms are very good.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ramesh v

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feed back on your recent stay with Fragrant Nature.It was truly a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We are very much delighted to know that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us and were truly pleased with the service of our ambassadors as well as the facilities we have on offer.We strive hard to make our guest feel comfortable in every aspects.Thank you for recognizing our efforts

We look forward welcoming you back to Fragrant Nature on your next holiday to gift an unforgettable holiday experience close to nature.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Had a very relaxing n rejuvenating holiday. Was very warmly greeted by front office reception folks... boomi n ramsingh... these guys vere terific.. the resort is mind blowing with serene views... we got an awesome speedboat ride.. the spa was just out of the world...
The healh center was open 24x7.. simply wonderful place to start our new life.. highly recommend this place for honeymoon
The only drawback that we felt was such a star class resort could have more lavish menu... especially more of authentic kerala food like kappa puttu etc...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sajeeshkurup, General Manager at Fragrant Nature Backwater Resort & Ayurveda Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your feed back on your recent stay at Fragrant Nature ,Kollam.It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I am very much delighted to read this wonderful review about Fragrant Nature and much pleased to know that you had a rejuvenating holiday with us,your kind words about our staff is much appreciated and have conveyed the same to them.We have noted your valuable suggestion and have started working on our menu.

Thank you once again for recommending Fragrant Nature and we look forward for for your next holiday with us .

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This resort has everything you need in a holiday. We had booked for one night but chose to stay on. A beautiful room overlooking the lake, swimming pool, restaurant and great staff - I was amazed that not more people were there- check it out - it is south of Kollum and offers a blissful paradise. Ideal for yoga retreats as well.

Room Tip: All options seem terrific
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Fragrant Nature.

As you said it is truly a unexplored destination very close to nature.I am very much pleased to know that you had wonderful holiday experience with us and have taken back some memories to cherish.

Thank you once again for sharing your feed back on this public forum and we look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Gods Own Country.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

There are hotels in India (and elsewhere) that give you a flavour of heaven. Fragrant nature is one of them. When we arrived in the hotel, I was overwhelmed by a sensation of wellbeing. We arrived after a long and exhausting travel, and we were welcome with a fresh drink and a towel to refresh. Once we were in the hotel and garden, we just felt good. The hotel premises are situated in the border of backwaters, and dispersed in a nice garden. the decoration contributes to feel peaceful. There is a swimming pool and a spa in addition. The room we got was not extra large, but enough to feel comfortable. There was a terrace from which we could enjoy the view on the water and coconuts trees. The restaurant is on the covered terrace. It is large and quite nice. The food is good.
I tried the spa (for a massage) and was very satisfied. We also were offered a boat trip on the backwaters. But the best of this hotel is the staff, who has a very professional approach.
All the staff, from the manager to the housekeeper make you feel as if you were alone in the hotel and if you were very important to them. I liked to feel like if I was not ignored (which is unfortunately the case in many places). They also proved that they could manage difficult situations. During one night, my friend fell sick and needed to see a doctor at 4am. The hotel managed to bring us to a hospital and they were very supportive when I was waiting for my friend the day after. So, it is a place where I hope I will go back in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sajeeshkurup, General Manager at Fragrant Nature Backwater Resort & Ayurveda Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Fragrant Nature ,Kollam .It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I am were very much excited to read that you had a wonderful holiday with us and enjoyed all the aspect of our service.Your kind words on our service,location and staff is highly appreciated and would like to thank you for recognizing our efforts. It is always encouraging to read such positive reviews which keeps us motivated to do better.

Thank you once again for recommending Fragrant Nature and look forward to host you in near future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is listed as one of the 'small luxury hotels in the world'. That must be based on its location which is fabulous. There's no doubt it's a great retreat to get away from it all but it just seems that once they've got you there that's all the effort that was needed. It's often the small touches that elevate a hotel to 'luxury' status. Yes the lakeside villa was pleasant and reasonably well equipped, the pool area was relaxing, the spa good and the grounds tended. But it just feels as if the hotel is on the decline. Fixtures and fittings are dated. Only one restaurant was functioning with a menu so limited that you didn't need to see it again after the first night. Just as well as the restaurant was so gloomy. It lacked any atmosphere. There was no information about the spa treatments or boat trips, the souvenir shop looked as if it hadn't been open for years, the pool bar ditto.

So with some TLC and a little more energy this could be so much better. How about candles on the tables, perhaps some music, a waiter perhaps visiting the pool area to take drinks orders and do something about the menu. After four nights we craved something different but the place is so remote it wasn't really sensible to leave the site.

A pity really as we had such high hopes. Perhaps it just needs to re-invent itself as a three star resort and expectations would be managed.

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view. The villas offer some additional privacy.
2  Thank 911bella

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feed back on your recent stay with us.

I would like to thank you for pointing out the areas which we have to work on.I have also communicated the same to the concerned team members.

We look forward to welcome you back at Fragrant Nature on your next holiday and assure a comfortable stay in all means.

Sajeesh.kurup

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kollam
The Raviz Resort and Spa, Ashtamudi
#5 of 22 in Kollam
Club Mahindra Ashtamudi
Club Mahindra Ashtamudi
#1 of 1 in Thekkumbhagam

Been to Fragrant Nature Backwater Resort & Ayurveda Spa? Share your experiences!