“first time visit”

wexford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“first time visit”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

went to the saltee islands on saturday and really loved it. beautiful place that just takes your breath away . amazing views every where you turn and the birds are a joy to watch. we packed up a lovley picnic which we enjoyed after exploring the island. i would recommend this as a must this summer when the weather is so good. the boat over was lovely.we are living in wexford a long time and this was our first visit.
tips, bring plenty of sun cream , water, tissues, and a nice picnic. its safe to leave your bag when you go walking so you dont have to carry it around. kilmore quay is a bit of heaven also .

Visited July 2013
2 Thank jesshon

Wexford, Ireland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“We are blessed to have these islands on our doorstep - stunning”
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Four of us just spent an amazing day on the Saltee Islands today. We left from Kilmore Quay at 11.30 - it cost E25 per person for the day, 'till 16.30. The island is a treasure trove of nature & wildlife. There are absolutely no facilities on the island & little or no shelter, so go prepared. We had a stunning day. It is especially suited to birdwatchers, with colonies of gannets & puffins, to name just two. A great, unforgettable experience.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank fmkeane
Carlow, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“paradise on our doorstep”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Headed out to the Saltees with 8 friends last Sunday, can't believe I have never been there before.
It is pure magic you really need to experience it to fully understand. Will definitely go back.

1 Thank mar b
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A perfect place for peace and quiet (apart from the squawk of birds!).”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Our journey started with a 10.00am boat trip across the water - at 25 Euros each for a return journey we didn't think this was a bad price to pay for something so unique. Our journey across the water was smooth as we had been very lucky that we had picked a lovely sunny day for our visit We then left the sailing boat to get into a RIB to take us onto the island to then climb over rocks and seaweed to get onto the island itself (I have to say this part of the journey I wasn't too keen on - trainers NOT such a good idea to wear!). As there are no facilities on the island you do need to remember to take refreshments with you (although too many refreshments could also prove problematic if one should have a weak bladder!). Our day was made complete by the sight of the Puffins - such lovely little birds and to see them in their own habitat was quite amazing. Unfortunately we didn't manage to see any seals which was slightly disappointing but we had plenty of different birds to see - but the Puffins were by far well worth the visit! Such a shame though that the owners of the house don't upkeep it more - to me it looks really sad and unloved just stuck there when it could be something of beauty to match the rest of the island - such a waste really of what could be a beautiful building. Can't understand really why people are blessed with such lovely things like a remote island and what could be a beautiful house to just leave it to become unloved and derelict - so sad really! But we both felt that our 25 euros was a well spent treat!

3 Thank laineyiow
Gembloux, Namur, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great unspoiled Island well worth a visit if you like bird watching.”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I went out to the Saltee Island with some friend last week beginning of June and had a great day out. We boarded a small boat at 11 am which holds 12 people and paid 25 euros. Some of the passengers only paid 20 euros for a round trip of the islands. We headed out of Kilmore Quay and across the small stretch of water passing rounding the smaller Island which was part of the trip for people not getting off.

When we got to the larger of the two Islands a small rubber dingy came alongside and six of us climbed aboard and were ferried to the landing area. There were a couple who looked like they were struggling to get across the rocks/boulders from the previous boat that had gone ahead of us. I stepped out first on to a large boulder and then onto another when I could feel may balance going, I think it was my knapsack with my camera and lunch inside that through me off balance, anyway I tried to correct myself by squatting slightly, but no, the inevitable happened and I fell slowly backwards down among the boulders, sliding down between the larger ones and eventually I felt my head go back with the inertia of my fall and banged it onto another boulder. Fortunately for me I have a hard head and the bump was only minor, I had not hurt myself anywhere else except my pride. I had great difficulty struggled to stand up again with my legs wrapped around a bolder and my body and arms seamed trapped in between other boulders. Also I was laughing my head off because it seemed funny at the time. With the help of my friends balancing around me I managed to get up and made it to safety off the rocks,
The rest of the day was wonderful. We climbed up some steps with a rope on one side as a hand hold. We past the only house on the island belonging to the owner and across to the other side of the island, following some small tracks in the undergrowth of ferns, bluebells and other plant life, where many people had gone before. There were thousands of birds like Gannets; Razorbills, Guillemots, Gulls, Fulmars, Puffins, Black Stags among others nesting in the crevices and ledges of the cliffs this time of the year. We also came across some Gulls nest with eggs in just alongside a track.

We had lunch after a couple of hours and sat talking and looking over the cliffs and watching the birds. We then explored other parts of the island slowly returning to the collection point by 4 pm. While we waited for the boat to collect us we saw several Seals and in the distance beyond the mooring buoys we watched Dolphins swimming up and down.
The tide had come in somewhat when we got back so clambering over the boulders to the dingy was not quite as bad, but I did get wet feet as there were waves that I couldn't dodge. The journey back was fine and generally it was an excellent day out not to be missed.

Would I go again?

The answer is yes because I had a great day photographing all the birds etc and would love to do it again with my wife next time, but only if the landing area has been improved. I feel that stepping from an inflatable dingy onto large and slippery or not rocks is very dangerous, especially for older people like my self at 72 years. Another lady a few years younger also had a fall and badly bruised her wrist.
We had not been given any advance warning about the landing and were not offered life jackets for the trip in the inflatable although I think they may have been in the bows.

6 Thank Don D