“Really run down hotel in a great location!”
Review of Jiageda Hotel

Jiageda Hotel
Jiageda Hotel
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Hami
Kuala Lumpur
“Really run down hotel in a great location!”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife and I checked into this hotel on our packaged tour in early June. The hotel's location is great with lots of shoppings and a night market opposite and the whole area is very well landscaped. The hotel's lobby is fairly large and airy and...... that's about all the good points of this hotel!
Our room on the third floor is very small with very old and basic furnishings and badly stained carpet. There are only two dim ceiling lights in the whole room shining directly on our face when we lie on the bed! The split unit air conditioner is old, noisy and not cold at all, it looked like they have adjusted the air-con's thermostat to save electricity. The bath is tiny with badly stained tilings....and smelly and the hand basin which is outside the bath is a real problem. The lighting for the basin area works on a motion sensor which is not sensitive at all. Whenever we brush our teeth or wash our face, the light will go off in no time and we have to wave our hands really frantically to turn the lights on again. The one morning that I have to shave was a nightmare with me shaving with one hand and waving like a clown with the other to prevent the light from going off and then it was only if I could!
Whenever we need to use the wc, we have to turn on the shower to let the water run to stop the smelly odour coming out from the water outlet.
We complained to our tour leader about the standard of the hotel, given the fact that the travel agency we signed up with was the most expensive one in the market but were told that this is the only hotel of reasonable standard in the city and there are no other choices if we want to visit the Balikun Grassland, which is the only attraction in this city!
Fortunately we stayed here for only one night but I will give both the hotel and Balikun Grassland a pass without hesitation and go straight to Dunhuang which is a better city with better hotels and better sights even though it is another four hours journey away!

Room Tip: Skip this hotel if you can!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I stayed several nights in the Jiageda Hotel in Hami on a business trip last April. The only really good thing about this hotel was the location, very close to the center of town, only a block away, so lots of good shops and restaurants in the immediate area. The hotel complex backs onto a nice tree-filled park with a stagnant green pond - pleasant for walks in the searing heat. Also, there were a couple of cool sandstone rocks in the hotel garden sitting amongst the classy cement sheep.

The rooms are typical of Chinese business hotels - bland furnishings, thin sheets, hard beds, stained carpets, and the reek of stale cigarette smoke. The bathroom was small and basic. The place could've been cleaner but it was tolerable. The walls and doors are thin so there was lots of late night noise from the hall, made even worse as I was right by the stairway. The phone rang a couple of times during the night waking me, with the person asking if I wanted a massage or other services. I ended up yanking the phone cords out of the sockets. In addition, the phones out in the hallway kept ringing all night and could be heard very clearly in my room so I yanked those cords out of the sockets as well. Not a very restful night that first night, but the second night was better thanks to the disabling of the phones.

The service was pretty much normal for mid-range Chinese business hotels - indifferent. No English spoken. The breakfast was just typical Chinese fare in a smoke-filled cafeteria. They supposedly had internet but it didn't work in my room.

I wouldn't stay here again given the choice and I wouldn't recommend anyone else to. Since this trip, I have been back in Hami and have found a better place to stay - Hami Binguan (Hami Hotel) - very reasonable, comfortable, fast internet, beautiful setting, and totally adequate for my purposes.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank DanO68

Travellers are raving about these Hami hotels