“Great value hotel just 5 minutes from my Employers HQ”
Review of The World's End

The World's End
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ecton
Reviewed 16 April 2011

You are greeted by a huge roaring fire when you enter (Winter only) That warm feeling extends to all aspects during your stay.

Rooms are well appointed and the drinks, food is excellent especially breakfast. I have stayed here 4 times and I consider this hotel one of the best for its size and value.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 April 2011

Visted the area in order to meet friends also staying in the area. Found the hotel easy to find from the decorations given on the hotel's website.

Booked directly via the hotel's own website which states best rates given, however later found a cheaper deal on laterooms which was disapointing.

Room was basic but clean and tidy, but corridoor smelt of cigarette smoke. No sky tv. No room service available for breakfast.

Dinner at the hotel's restaurant was really good (although booking seems to be necessary at the weekend) - very busy with local residents which is a good sign.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay again if visiting the local area.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2011

For mothers day we came to TWE and there was 16 of us. I ordered beef and it was so tough to cut and was red! My father who is in his 80's also had beef and he couldn't even cut it with his knife so we had to ask one of the waitresses to take it back into the kitchen so it could be cut up. I told the waitress that i couldn't eat the beef and asked for it to be swapped for lamb. She told me this wasn't allowed so i had to sit there and just eat 2 roast potatoes and a couple of vegetables. i payed the full amount for the meal and didn't even get to eat my main course! This is not what i wanted to happen on a family meal out. I think this is unacceptable service and shall not be visiting again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Recently celebrated my sister in laws 70th birthday in the restaurant at the Worlds End and to say that I was disappointed would be an understatement.
I realise that with a party of 20 there will always be potential for problems but I have to say that they really excelled in getting things wrong on this occasion.
As we were such a large number we had to order 4 days in advance from a menu provided and I know that the people who ordered the Vegetable soup were surprised to be served french onion soup on the night ( a vegetable I admit) it wasn't even a good onion soup.
My biggest gripe was with the Sirloin steak that my wife and 4 others had ordered, she had requested medium well done and the waitress had aparentle given that to another customer and my wife ended up with a over done steak that she sent back. I think that either the chef is totally inept at cooking steaks or he decided to try and be funny as the replacement could have been revived by a good vet.
In fact all 5 steaks were very poor and at £18.95 for an 8oz sirloin I think they might make a better effort in future.
And yes we did speak to the staff about the food and were given the excuse of it was the thickness of the cut that was the problem, not a sign of a manager though, poor waitress had to deal with the flak.
Certainly not a place that I would return to in a hurry, but maybe they don't care anyway.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Moose222
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We went for a late afternoon Sunday lunch, 3 families with 3 young children. The service didn't start out that well as there was no childrens menu or prices. We sort of guessed that you just ordered a smaller portion of what ever was on the menu but no one clarified it . Childrens main courses came with our starters which was good. The vegetables were inedible, rock hard and luke warm. The adults main courses came (about 45 minutes after we finshed starters) and the vegetables had the same problem. The meat portions were small, a couple of very pale roast potoatoes and very thin gravy. Deserts were a real mixed bag, good crumble and a decent portion, the treacle tart was really nice but microscopic.
When we asked for the bill, the staff didn't even know what we had, they cobbled a bill together and when we got home we found out we had been overcharged.
All in all very dissapointing

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 30 November 2010

We pride ourselves on great food and service which is why our restaurant is so popular, we are disappointed that we didn't seem to meet your required standard and we appreciate the feedback. We do have a policy of trying our best to rectify issues as and when they arise, if you had asked to see a manager to discuss your experience I am sure you would have left the premises happy. Please come and try us again as we believe this was a 'one off' situation

Reviewed 13 September 2010

We stayed here for a special birthday celebration and thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel and the restaurant /bar terrace.
The staff are impeccable, rooms very pleasantly decorated and in a lovely village location.
Apologies to the hotel for the noise in the room caused by members of the group who decided to have an impromtu party.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I stay in this hotel on a regular basis for business and must admit it is going downhill. When I arrived I always get asked 'did you stay with us before?' - so they do not have a database of their customers. That's only a small niggle. The very friendly girl at reception gave me my key and off I went to find my room. To my surprise the room was not made up, untidy bed and unflushed toilet and a very strong unpleasant smell of some kind of room spray (I was checking in at 9pm at night). I went back to front desk and was given another room key. That room was ok, but no showergel and a stained bed throw. By then I was too tired to worry. As other guest have mentioned this hotel can be noisy since windows face a busy road on one side and the car park on the other side. Next morning in the bath the bath tap fell to pieces. I put it all back together. The towels are worn, have holes and should be replaced. Breakfast is simple and one has to be quick to put an order in since there is only one staff who is a very nice lady. I ordered tomatoe, mushrooms and a well done fried egg. The egg was underdone, the tomatoe raw and the mushrooms overly salted. Since I was in a hurry I did not mention this. Next morning somebody tried to open my door from outside with a key. I assumed it was housekeeping? Surely they must have a list of rooms and guests? The bath tap fell apart again - this time I did not put it back together - and I forget to mention that the shower curtain needs a wash desperately. I ordered the same breakfast as the day before and this time it was inedible. The vegetables were cold and oversalted, the egg was fried to death. The waitress was busy eating her own breakfast so I left without mentioning this. There is also no decaf coffee available - I assume - since I asked for it and was told she was cheking but never came back to me. The breakfast room in the morning was not very clean, crumbs on floor and chairs from previous night's diners and a curry-smell after Monday Curry night. It is a real shame that this place is going downhill. It seems always quite busy and my impression is that the people who own and run it are getting very complacent. I have no issues with the staff who are always helpful and friendly. I do have a problem with housekeeping banging doors at 6:30 in the morning. I used to recommend this place to people but I do not do this anymore.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank trixitrixi
Management response:Responded 30 November 2010

We are sorry that it seems that we did not live up to your expectation on this occassion as we pride ourselves on good customer service and generally we are proud of our hotel and the service we provide.
We always take reviews seriously and act upon their content where applicable.
Please be assured that your concerns have been investigated and addressed

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ecton
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
#1 of 1 in Chapel Brampton
Northampton Marriott Hotel
Northampton Marriott Hotel
#8 of 27 in Northampton

Been to The World's End? Share your experiences!