“Good hotel - Beautiful Village”
Review of The World's End

The World's End
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ecton
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Good hotel - Beautiful Village”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am in the Worlds End. It is an average English Inn. A little worn, drinks very expensive, but outstanding breakfast. It is in an off the beaten path area but only about 15 minutes from our UK office. The little village is beautiful. There is a cool little pub down the street you can walk to. The restaurant which I believe is average here has many customers who come from surrounding areas. The service is very good and the food is average.

Good experience overall

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side from the highway
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thanks for posting us a review and we hope you will visit us agin here soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had a comfortable but rushed stay at The World’s End whilst travelling in Northamptonshire with work recently.

It was clear that the manager was a very busy lady and appeared to be single-handedly running the hotel, bar and restaurant all simultaneously!

Whereas she did this very efficiently and all matters appeared to be taken care of, she had no time for any pleasantries and my reception here felt a little cold and uninviting.

The team she had working with her were all very young and whereas they were polite and friendly, I suspect that they need a lot of hand holding and this maybe the cause of the manager’s frenetic pace of work.

Anyway, I was only here for one night and arrived late so it didn’t matter too much..

My meal in the restaurant was tasty, my bed comfy and despite being in room 1 (on the ground floor and next to the point where all the guest room corridors converge – typically a noise nightmare) I had a restful night.

If the manager was able to delegate a little more of her work and ease the throttle back a notch, The World’s End would undoubtedly become an excellent place to stay, instead of merely a very good one.

TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for posting a review, I can assure you that the points you raise will be addressed and we hope to see you back at TWE in the near future
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed in room 8 which was lovely, yes towards the main road and a little noisy which also did not help with the doors as they could only be banged to close and lock so it was getting loud from about 6am in the morning.

my biggest grime is, I was having tea at the premises, though the staff was very nice and helpful nobody cared for what happened.

I ordered liver and bacon on mash with onion gravy and peas, this in itself tasted really nice! I asked for it to be cooked pink as I know most restaurants cook it bloody in the middle. once the food arrived I realised that this request was ignored so I aske to keep the food just cook the liver a little longer. this was taken really well by the front of house staff. 5min later my food came back, re plated, (by this time my friend has almost finished eating!) I checked and cut with a knife and assured the staff this was now pink not bloody, now there was mash a little bit of onion with the gravy and a few peas. as I was chatting away to my friend, I took a first mouthful and to my horror the food was so hot that it burned quite badly the top of my mouth. this must have been achieved by microwaving as I had never had such hot mash and liver/gravy before in my life. Funny thing is.............it did not steam! there was no indication on how hot it was. still today I am in agony! When we finished after a disappointing desert ("giant" chox pastry with toffee cream and fresh rasberries) the chox bun was more like a scone, not puffy and fluffy at all, the table next to me came up as they had the same and told me about their dissapointment. I agreed and this was in front of staff who said it was not good, but once I told them that I burned the top of my mouth with the burning food I was given in my main, this was totally ignored!

I am very disappointed, this caused me much pain even till today.

Breakfast - I order was taken but requests were ignored which leads me to think, why ask the questions? would you like your toast buttered or do you want to do this yourself? can I have one slice of toast?

Room Tip: ask for a room facing car park
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Please accept my apologies for not having cooked the liver to your liking on the first occasion, I can assure you that none of our food is microwaved, but I am sorry that you burnt your mouth on the hot food. I hope it won't deter you from visiting us again.

Travellers are raving about these Ecton hotels

Immingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We booked here as a last minute choice having had to stay near Northampton and ended up staying for 2 nights. The weather was hot and necessitated having the window open at night. The first night we were in a ground floor room (Room 5) next to the road and so this was a little noisy. However, we asked for a room on the other side for the second night and the staff obliged. A much quieter sleep (Room 15) was had! The staff were friendly, the rooms included complimentary bottles of water and Kit-Kats, and the breakfast was fine. We had to return to Northampton again for another couple of nights the following week so booked for 2 nights before we left.
This is where the review changes from positive to negative! On arrival for our second visit, I noticed on the registration form that instead of being charged £70 a night as the previous week, I was now being charged £90 a night! When I queried this with the young man on reception, he said that prices varied dependant on how busy they are and that he could not change the prices. So when we went to our room (Room 1), which incidentally was not a patch on the 2 rooms we had had on our previous visit (it had a badly stained carpet which did not look as if it had been vacuumed prior to us using it as there were several patches of dust and fluff on it – and there was only 1 2-finger Kit-Kat between 2 people!), I checked on the hotel’s own web-site and found that I could book a room for £75 a night!! On checking out I raised all of this with the young lady on reception who said that she could not reduce the price but that she would notify the manager when he arrived at 11 o’clock and that he would probably refund the difference to my credit card.
Several days later, having not heard anything or received any refund, I e-mailed the manager via the hotel’s ‘Contact us’ facility outlining my concerns. No-one has had the decency to even acknowledge the e-mail, let alone respond to it! Needless to say, I won’t be recommending TWE.

Room Tip: Choose a room on car-park side. Check the price, Avoid room 1.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Firstly, I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our room rates are £90 per night but sometimes they are discounted depending on availability. When booking on the website you can book for £75 on some occasions but this is advance purchase rate where you pay in advance for the room with no refund if the room is cancelled. We check the cleanliness of our rooms on a regular basis so please accept my apologies if you felt your room on the second stay was not up to standard.
I hope that you will try us again soon.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We use the Worlds End, not only for the dining experience but also for our training days. We get a wonderful response from our delegates from the food to the bedrooms so we will be using this hotel/restaurant for some time to come. Thank you to all the staff for making this a pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for posting such a positive review and look forward to welcoming you back soon
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had Family coming down so thought we would book somewhere to eat on the Sunday. Checked the website and there looked to be plenty of choice as there were vegetarians and children in our party so was a bit of a surprise to find that they have a separate menu for Sundays. No mention of this when we booked or on there website, just that you can buy 2 courses for a certain price or 3 courses. The choice was very limited and only 1 option for vegetarians, (very poor). We decided to try and make the best of it as we had family with us and ordered Sunday lunch ( the options on the menu was Sunday lunch but you had a choice of meat or fish pie). The food was adequate while the meat was very tuff and the younger ones in our party could not eat it. This was reported to the staff who apologised but not sure if it was reported to the kitchen as nothing else was done. If it wasn't for the polite staff and they have a good selection of real ales then this would have been a lower rating. Would just like to warn that if like us you were expecting the menu that is on the website check first. Doubt we will be going there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kev H
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I am sorry you were disappointed in your experience with us. We have a full a la carte menu available Monday to Saturday, but on Sundays we have our very popular 2 and 3 course Traditional Sunday lunch menu. Your complaint about the meat should have been dealt with as I have a policy here of making sure all guests leave happy that we have done our upmost to resolve any issues.
Ihope you will give us another try
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Maybe I've stayed in too many hotels over the years to get too excited or upset about hotels but last night's stay at The Worlds End left me a bit underwhelmed.
I had stayed there a few years ago and remembered it as being wonderful but not this time.
I probably should have gone back to reception when I realised I had been given a 'disabled' room - I always feel I have had to compromise over the standard fittings - the shower was a free standing in the room resulting in the floor being wet through, sinks at odd heights etc
The TV was the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel, the number of channels limited and the remote control worked intermittently.
There was a fair bit of corridor noise as the bar closed but I slept well after that died down.
Dinner was good although a touch expensive and breakfast was fine.
All in all, not much to gripe about, but it left me with a slight deflated feeling.
Would I stay again, probably, but my expectations would be a little lower than when I arrived last night

Room Tip: Probably ask for an upstairs room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
TWE2012, Owner at The World's End, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we will always accommodate a room change if requested and we have spare rooms available, we normally only allocate the room with disabled facilities if all the other rooms are full. The good news is that we are in the process of upgrading the TV's to bigger screens. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ecton
The Poplars Hotel
Ibis Wellingborough
Ibis Wellingborough
#2 of 4 in Wellingborough
Premier Inn Northampton Gt Billing/A45 Hotel

Been to The World's End? Share your experiences!