Arajuno Jungle Lodge
  • Pool
US$127
US$190
TripAdvisor
All reviewshis wifelocal communitieswould love to come backindigenous peoplesthe riverthe ownergreat experiencelearning experiencecold beerupper amazonguided walkflora and faunabunk bedsbird watchingtommiguelconservation
Reviewed 26 February 2012

First of all id like to say that Tom's wife is a amazing cook. Best food i've had on my three month stay in ecuador.
However Tom was so rude. Saying he gets enough buisiness without us there. We were a group of 8 and he said he couldn't be bothered to learn our names. He was very patronising to us and we were never allowed our own opinions. The cabin i stayed in had no working lights and a cold shower. Overall my group said we would never go back and would never recommend Arajuno jungle lodge.

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Ahelos
arajunojunglelodge, Owner at Arajuno Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2014

This review was not written by a tourist. It was written years ago by a young volunteer that had issues with my supervision style and was not able to recieve feedback in a positive manner. She was at AJL to do volunteer work but was not motivated in working hard, the required schedule and completing the required tasks. Her direct supervisor was not experienced in working with and supervising foreigners in a jungle environment. This made it necessary for me to step in and direct the group. This particular volunteer was not hard working and did not like being made to work in the manner required.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is a perfect way to experience a true ecological lodge nicely located along the river in the Amazonas jungle. Owner Tom Larson is very open minded and does a great job conserving indigenous wildlife with main focus on turtles. Entire lodge is solar powered. Food experience is very good and makes this lodge absolutely recommendable.
Don't forget to book package including river rafting!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JanHolm
Reviewed 20 November 2011

There are so many reasons to pick Arajuno Lodge.
-the owner, Tom, is bilingual (Spanish and English) and is friendly and welcoming.
-Tom arranged for us to have a bilingual guide for our trip in the rainforest (believe me, this is no easy task but Tom did it with ease)
-They could accomodate my diet (Vegan). Plus the food was gourmet. Oh my gosh! These were the best meals we had during our two weeks in Quito.
-Tom cares about preserving the rainforest and is active in these efforts
-The lodge is very small and very quiet!
-We could go tubing down the Arajuno River (Tom easily arranged this for us)
-It was great to wake up to and go to sleep with the jungle sounds around us!
-Tom has a cool herb garden and will also show you where he grows oritos (small bananas) and cocoa plants.
- Tom and his wife showed us the bowls and vases that his wife's mother makes. All made from items found in the rainforest. We bought 3 very affordable and lovely bowls!
-This was a relaxing place to be, without being rushed, but we still saw a great deal.
-Tom raises turtles and this was an interesting process to see.
-I only saw one mosquitoe :) the whole time I was there!

Great place. I would return in a snap!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms here are probably great.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Valerie M
Reviewed 27 April 2011

First off, I have to give the credit to my dad for finding this place. He found it by doing searches online. We flew to Quito, took a 5 hour bus ride to Tena, then got a 40 minute cab ride out to the Arajuno Bridge. Then a man comes by and picks us up in a canoe and carries us upstream to the Lodge. We stayed 3 nights and had an awesome time.

I won't lie: my favorite part was the monkey Mona! At first I was afraid she would scratch, but then I realized she doesn't have nails and just loves to wrestle and play. After 3 days of wrestling with the monkey, it never got old...I'm having withdrawal now. But aside from Mona, we visited Amazoonica, which was quite interesting to hear the stories of all the animals, hiked around the property, and even went tubing down the river.

Not only was it an Ecuadorian jungle experience, but Tom, Charro and their staff go out of their way to ensure you are comfortable and are enjoying your stay. I learned tons about the jungle, the history, and the many plants and animals. And did I mention the food was incredible?! Wow, I would love to come back sometime soon, but for now I will just say if you are looking to visit Ecuador and would like to see some jungle territory for a few nights, you will be hard pressed to do better than this.

Also note: At the Arajuno Jungle Lodge, there is hot water, electricity, and even e-mail and television capabilities if you must have. Not sure about other lodges in the area.

Thanks again Tom and staff for your hospitality. Its the least I can do to write a recommendation on tripadvisor...

Room Tip: Book early to make things easier for the staff
  • Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank Markjj04
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I loved staying here, and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure!
Tom and Charro welcome you with open arms and make you feel right at home ~ and Mona the monkey is an added treat!
The accommodations are rustic but quite clean and comfortable. The food is amazing: locally grown, organic, artfully presented and delicious ~ five stars!
The location on the river and in the jungle is perfect. A quiet evening in one of the hammocks or swing chairs is the perfect way to end a day of hiking in the rain forest.

• Stayed: October 2010