“Relaxing Vibe and Excellent Value”

Anaconda Lodge Ecuador
Ranked #1 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Tena
“Relaxing Vibe and Excellent Value”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We had the best time at Anaconda Lodge. We needed to relax and it was easy here. The room was immaculately clean and every meal was fresh and delicious, by far the best food we ate in Ecuador. The lodge has many projects going on supporting the local people including a rehabilitating a chocolate mini-plantation. We saw monkeys and orchids and all the hikes were led by local, knowledgeable indigenous guides. Its the kind of place where the little local children see so few foreigners that they shyly follow your group from a distance. We ended up staying an extra night and plan to return next year. Worth mentioning that it is gay friendly with a special love for San Franciscans. Daniel

1 Thank David D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lone Tree, Colorado
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a WONDERFUL time at Anaconda Lodge. Francisco and Silvia were great hosts, we had a lot of fun getting to know them and the other guests at the lodge. The food was fantastic and the activities were great as well. We really enjoyed the treks, the tubing, the visit to native family and the presentation by the local Shaman. Our room was very comfortable and it was nice to hear the sounds of the jungle at night. It is easily accessible from Tena which was great for us. I highly recommend this place!

1 Thank Wootravelers
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
It was wonderful and Cool to have you guys here at the Lodge. We are so happy that you guys got the message that we try to give to our guest, "Let's Save the Amazon and the Native People that live in this Magical place in our Planet".
Hayfork, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Our stay at Anaconda Lodge was absolutely wonderful! For us, it was the ideal vacation. We had a great time getting to know Francisco and Sylvia who made us feel like family - very welcoming! Our guide, Cesar was awesome - we had so much fun on every hike and felt like we were just out with an extremely well- informed friend. We really loved starting each day with great food, a hike in the jungle and floating down the river. The hikes are 4-5 hours and when we get back, there is cold lemonade and lunch ready...The food is absolutely amazing! I could live on the fresh bread and chile sauce alone. And experiencing the taste of fresh chocolate has changed the way I see chocolate...indescribable.

we had the very great pleasure of witnessing a spiritual cleansing demonstration by the only shaman left in the area. It was a very special experience for us.
We saw howler monkeys, tamarin monkeys, beautiful butterflies, amazing trees and plants....we planned to stay 3 nights and ended up staying 4 - and we would have stayed longer if we had more time!

We had a great time getting to know Francisco over those 5 days and are happy to have made a new friend. Our next visit will be for at least a week, probably longer. :).

The only real advice I might give someone is: Don't forget to pack bug spray(OFF) and don't forget to use it!

We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: ALWAYS keep the door to your cabana closed. It is the Amazon and comes with lots of insects so reme...
1 Thank 15nane
UK
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Ok we are a couple of oldies who spent 3 nights here. The accommodation was fine, the food excellent. The first day we went a 3 hour trek with caesar which was great! Back for lunch 1pm and then nothing. We were the only people at the lodge which was weird. 2nd day the same. We had a very cool depart on day 3. It may be a place to go in a group but not solo. There was too much criticism from management about previous guests not paying etc. Overall I feel it was an expensive 3 days

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TomandaliUk
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Your comment seems so strange to us because when you both left December 19th you told us that you had a very beautiful experience at the Lodge. When you two arrived to the Lodge, you requested us that you both didn't want to do the activities, since your wife had a problem with her knee, and less doing hikes through the jungle. We organize Canoe tours so that your wife could not have problems. After lunch you every day you would go to the cabin to have a NAP all afternoon until the time of the activities at night. The first and second day I offered you to go bird watching in the afternoon and you answered me that he would rather have a NAP because you were tired.
It is not strange that you were only guests for the 3 nights that you both were staying at the Lodge; I am going to explain why again, because you already asked us that question when you were here. We are a Lodge which has only 2 years of operation and therefore are not very known yet. The big resort hotel that you saw from the River, can accommodate 180 people and those days they had only 6 passengers, we have 28 passengers. The first 20 days of December hotels in the Amazon do not have many guests, after that date they begin to arrive, in this moment we are 90% full.
Regarding what you mentioned of criticisms of former passengers who had problems, you were the one that asked me and my wife the second night after dinner, if we had had problems with passengers who had not paid and I replied yes and told you what had happened and that had been twice only.
We are cheapest Lodge in the area, so we are not going to respond to that comment. My wife and I remember very well when you mention us how you cheated to pay less on your trips around the world to save money, so maybe you found us expensive because you could not do does dirty tricks that you told us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The lodge is really cool - nice rooms with strong fans, clean, and a cool living room/dining room space to share with others. The sunsets are beautiful too. The food was prepared by Francisco's wife (whose name escapes me right now) and it was very good, though almost completely vegetarian. That was fine for me though since I'm not a big meat eater. The only real drawback of the experience was Francisco himself - he seemed really unhappy with us and sort of annoyed by me and my family the entire time. We've traveled all over the world and get along with pretty much everyone, so I don't know if he was just going through a rough time or something else was going on. At one point, my family and I were sitting eating breakfast, debating for about 20 minutes whether or not we should go tubing. We were the only people in the lodge so no other guests were waiting on us. Suddenly, he snapped at my parents, telling them that we'd been unsure all morning what we were going to do and that he needed us to decide. Then he literally completely ignored my mother when she tried to talk to him. My parents are far older than him and it was super upsetting to have someone talk to them that way. That was really upsetting for all of us, and we felt on edge around him the whole time. We eventually left a day early, even though we had paid for that extra day. However, on another note, the guides are fantastic and so kind and flexible. I enjoyed being around them and loved hearing about their life experiences and knowledge of the Amazon. Unfortunately, I think we would have loved the experience if Francisco had been kinder and more flexible with us.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CTverde
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
When a person is rude and disrespectful to the culture, that bothers us. At all times I tried to be friendly with you as owner, but ALWAYS ignored me and rudely whenever you wanted to talk to me no attention. You and your family have been the most badly behaved passengers we have had in these two years that we are open.
My wife that cook for you guys is called Silvia thinks the same of you as all personnel that works at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador. You may have traveled the owl world, but that does not mean to be disrespectful in places that you stay.
Worst of all is that in addition you tried to pay with counterfeit bills, which is a crime.
For us, all of us at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador was a great relief when you and your rude family left the Lodge, especially the native’s people that work in Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, as you were very discriminatory towards them. The racism that you showed to us was very noticeable.
I always make it clear that I headed to respect you, but unfortunately you were rude and disrespectful.
Aschau Im Chiemgau, Germany
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This lodge was recommended to me for organizing a trip into the Amazonian rainforest. It was a good choice. Transport Quito-Punta di Ahuano took us 4.5 h. Transfer by boat to the lodge was the first enjoyable adventure. After a relaxing lunch we had a hike into the forest. A knowlwdagble Kichwa indian had many details to show to the Eurpean newcomers. A next days boat and hike trip was interesting and exciting again. Rooms were clean, food excellent, staff friendly ... . I would like to come again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bene-tours
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

This was hands down the favorite part of our trip to ecuador. We brought our 4 year old son, and although I know many of ours friends thought it was nuts to go to a boat access lodge in the amazon with him, it was perfect. The hikes would have been too much for him to walk, but we had the backpack. The cabins were simple but clean and relaxing. The food was amazing and all staff great. I did get very sick the day I left, (doctor at termas papallacta saw me and said it was food-related) but the only thing I consumed that my husband and child did not was a tiny sip (to not offend) of the chicha drink from the native's house. Not a surprise.. Just a warning that just because all food/water at the lodge is purified, that part of a tour is probably not. All in all though, absolutely fabulous!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kmb327
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tena
Cotococha Amazon Lodge
#1 of 1 in Cotundo
Itamandi EcoLodge
Itamandi EcoLodge
#13 of 58 in Napo Province

Been to Anaconda Lodge Ecuador? Share your experiences!