“Amazing place, food and hosts!”

Anaconda Lodge Ecuador
Ranked #1 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Tena
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I did an improvised trip to the region and decided to stay at Anaconda Lodge for a few nights since it's location is close to civilization but still inside the jungle and next to some local communities that are a must-see. The owners, Silvia and Francisco, were very very kind, courteous and into every last detail of my accommodation and the price was great and worth every cent.

The food is amazing, nothing fancy or weird, just so good! (And they were also very kind to adapt their menu to all of my picky needs.. Haha!) I loved the home-made everything that they have... Ice cream, bread, jelly, cakes, etc.. So good! They also have a super-chill-out bar where the owner prepares some of the most exquisite drinks I've had.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable, extremely clean and full of light and have a big terrace to dry your stuff and a hammock to chill. The beds are very good to rest after long walks in the forest, and the bathrooms are nice and clean too. The lodge itself is very cool with a nice view from the main living room to the Napo river and the sunset. The surroundings are lovely and the staff (all locals from the community next to the lodge) is very kind.

The tours they organized for me were very fun and never exhausting or boring. I met local costumes, went down-river in tubes, and took very nice walks in the forest with a local guide that seemed to know more than Britannica Encyclopedia itself.

I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a quality / best-value-ever trip to Ecuador's rainforest.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank FMR301184

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I traveled to the Anaconda Lodge a couple weeks ago with 3 friends, two of them being from the states and one that currently lives in Ecuador. It was my first time in Ecuador and I was very excited to experience the Amazon. Francisco and his wife Silvia were so welcoming and accommodating. From the moment he greeted us at the river to the moment we left, everything was fantastic. The food was amazing! I think I could probably live off the fresh baked bread they give you to start every meal. Our hiking guide Cesar (a native Kichwa) was also wonderful. He knew everything about every single plant and insect in the jungle and he was very patient with our broken Spanish. I especially enjoyed the 4 hour hike on our second day following by a tube float down the Napo River.
You should not leave Ecuador without visiting the Anaconda Lodge. Thank you, Francisco and Silvia, for a truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I love Anaconda Lodge! Myself and three other friends stayed there and had an amazing time. From the start, Francisco and his wife Slyvia were so helpful and hospitable. It was sort of strange how quickly I felt almost like a family member to them. We met other wonderful travelers and had amazing food. Ive been living in Ecuador for 9 months now and the food, service and environment of Anaconda was hands down the best I have experienced since living here. This is a great place to see some amazing scenery, relax and not worry about a thing. Also, their guide Cesar was a walking dictionary. He knew everything about the plants and medicines of the amazon and worked very patiently with our broken spanish. It was an incredible experience and I think everybody should go. However, if you don't have respect for local culture and cannot open your mind to learning new things then this isn't the place for you. Francisco and his staff have worked very hard to preserve and respect the locals and their land. If you do have interest, spend some time talking with francisco about the locals and you'll learn a lot about Amazonian life.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JonathanMF
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We had the best time at Anaconda Lodge. We needed to relax and it was easy here. The room was immaculately clean and every meal was fresh and delicious, by far the best food we ate in Ecuador. The lodge has many projects going on supporting the local people including a rehabilitating a chocolate mini-plantation. We saw monkeys and orchids and all the hikes were led by local, knowledgeable indigenous guides. Its the kind of place where the little local children see so few foreigners that they shyly follow your group from a distance. We ended up staying an extra night and plan to return next year. Worth mentioning that it is gay friendly with a special love for San Franciscans. Daniel

1  Thank David D
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a WONDERFUL time at Anaconda Lodge. Francisco and Silvia were great hosts, we had a lot of fun getting to know them and the other guests at the lodge. The food was fantastic and the activities were great as well. We really enjoyed the treks, the tubing, the visit to native family and the presentation by the local Shaman. Our room was very comfortable and it was nice to hear the sounds of the jungle at night. It is easily accessible from Tena which was great for us. I highly recommend this place!

1  Thank Wootravelers
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

It was wonderful and Cool to have you guys here at the Lodge. We are so happy that you guys got the message that we try to give to our guest, "Let's Save the Amazon and the Native People that live in this Magical place in our Planet".

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Our stay at Anaconda Lodge was absolutely wonderful! For us, it was the ideal vacation. We had a great time getting to know Francisco and Sylvia who made us feel like family - very welcoming! Our guide, Cesar was awesome - we had so much fun on every hike and felt like we were just out with an extremely well- informed friend. We really loved starting each day with great food, a hike in the jungle and floating down the river. The hikes are 4-5 hours and when we get back, there is cold lemonade and lunch ready...The food is absolutely amazing! I could live on the fresh bread and chile sauce alone. And experiencing the taste of fresh chocolate has changed the way I see chocolate...indescribable.

we had the very great pleasure of witnessing a spiritual cleansing demonstration by the only shaman left in the area. It was a very special experience for us.
We saw howler monkeys, tamarin monkeys, beautiful butterflies, amazing trees and plants....we planned to stay 3 nights and ended up staying 4 - and we would have stayed longer if we had more time!

We had a great time getting to know Francisco over those 5 days and are happy to have made a new friend. Our next visit will be for at least a week, probably longer. :).

The only real advice I might give someone is: Don't forget to pack bug spray(OFF) and don't forget to use it!

We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: ALWAYS keep the door to your cabana closed. It is the Amazon and comes with lots of insects so reme...
1  Thank 15nane
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Ok we are a couple of oldies who spent 3 nights here. The accommodation was fine, the food excellent. The first day we went a 3 hour trek with caesar which was great! Back for lunch 1pm and then nothing. We were the only people at the lodge which was weird. 2nd day the same. We had a very cool depart on day 3. It may be a place to go in a group but not solo. There was too much criticism from management about previous guests not paying etc. Overall I feel it was an expensive 3 days

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TomandaliUk
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Your comment seems so strange to us because when you both left December 19th you told us that you had a very beautiful experience at the Lodge. When you two arrived to the Lodge, you requested us that you both didn't want to do the activities, since your wife had a problem with her knee, and less doing hikes through the jungle. We organize Canoe tours so that your wife could not have problems. After lunch you every day you would go to the cabin to have a NAP all afternoon until the time of the activities at night. The first and second day I offered you to go bird watching in the afternoon and you answered me that he would rather have a NAP because you were tired.
It is not strange that you were only guests for the 3 nights that you both were staying at the Lodge; I am going to explain why again, because you already asked us that question when you were here. We are a Lodge which has only 2 years of operation and therefore are not very known yet. The big resort hotel that you saw from the River, can accommodate 180 people and those days they had only 6 passengers, we have 28 passengers. The first 20 days of December hotels in the Amazon do not have many guests, after that date they begin to arrive, in this moment we are 90% full.
Regarding what you mentioned of criticisms of former passengers who had problems, you were the one that asked me and my wife the second night after dinner, if we had had problems with passengers who had not paid and I replied yes and told you what had happened and that had been twice only.
We are cheapest Lodge in the area, so we are not going to respond to that comment. My wife and I remember very well when you mention us how you cheated to pay less on your trips around the world to save money, so maybe you found us expensive because you could not do does dirty tricks that you told us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tena
20 mi away
Wisdom Forest Yoga Lodge
Yacuma Ecolodge
Yacuma Ecolodge
#11 of 34 in Tena

Been to Anaconda Lodge Ecuador? Share your experiences!