“A very rewarding experience.”

Anaconda Lodge Ecuador
Ranked #2 of 31 Speciality Lodging in Tena
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the Anaconda Lodge and it was all we hoped it would be. The owners, Francisco and Silvia, were not only accommodating but very helpful in making arrangements to get there and back. The food was delicious, plentiful and prepared with mostly local ingredients and all by hand. The staff was very friendly and the guide, Cesar, was very knowledgeable and helpful on the excursions. Don't miss out on tubing down a beautiful river surrounded by scenery and wildlife(you'll want to float forever). You will learn about the local indigenous people and their way of life by seeing it first hand as well as learning about their history. This is a place to participate and learn. Although not a resort with spas and pools you will be quite relaxed from the atmosphere and awe of the location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

It was so nice to have you guys here at the Lodge. We are so glad that you learned a lots of things of the Amazon and also their Native People. Hope seeing you guys again!

There are newer reviews for Anaconda Lodge Ecuador

Reviewed 16 May 2014

You won't be sorry if you decided to go to the Anaconda Lodge in Ecuador to unwind, relax, unplug, eat your hearts out, meet the local Kichiwa people and get to know the wonderful couple that run the lodge, Francisco and Silvia! We went to visit in Dec. of 2013 and wanted an experience involving the Amazon and really only had a few days to do it. After some research and reading reviews on TripAdvisor, we landed on the Anaconda Lodge and it was everything we wanted our experience to be!

We had a couple hikes through the jungle, heard a tree fall during breakfast (and yes, it does make a very loud sound!), ate 5 star food from chef Rodrigo (sometimes we call him Silvio), had the opportunity to participate in a shaman ceremony and have our native Kichiwa tour guide take us around for a few days and show us all of the local floral and fauna (who knew a certain tree bark could taste like garlic?) One of our favorite experiences was just tubing down the river for a few days, seriously one of the cleanest rivers I have ever seen!

The cabins are clean, simple, and comfortable. Everyone working there are friendly and have a smile on their faces. There is no wifi or internet connection so you are really living off the grid. I am a pescatarian and Rodrigo made sure I had equally delicious food as everyone else (he is a master of soup broth!)

We have found new friends with Francisco and Silvia, thank you and we hope to come back to visit you soon!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I can't believe it's been already over 3/4 of a year that we had our adventure with you Silvia and Fransisco. Our time with you and with the Amazon has stayed firmly in our hearts for this long period and we expect it will be with us always. Your hospitality and grace in spite of our noisy group was greatly appreciated. The food prepared by your extraordinary chef and Cesar's wisdom of the forest are wonderful memories.

But there are 3 memories for me especially: the individual walk and time spent with Silvia as she explained the 'medicine cabinet' within the forest. She took time from her exceedingly busy schedule to do this because I had been ill during the scheduled walk through. How she made this time and showed me these wonders when she had so many things to do for the lodge, has remained a giant teaching moment for me of civility and respect. This was her overriding respect for the jungle and concern about what it has to teach all of us about the balance of nature. It was truly humbling to feel her sense of nurture and care for all of life and her care for my own life.

The second thing is the unbelievably beautiful canopy tree within the Lodge area itself! So many trees within that singularity - Amazing! I couldn't take enough pictures of it.

The next thing that was memorable was the chance for my husband and I to draw and paint there, making artwork from the river, the forest and our experience. We continued to work back in our studios at home from our sketches done on site. It has been a rich font of images. Thank you again and again for the choice you made to buy your island and to educate the rest of us as we come one by one and two by two to visit the glory of the fertile air of the AMAZON. I am hoping to come once again with friends this time. We sent you a few pictures we took as well as images that my husband's Jim made using collage, ink and watercolor (some were made on site there and some were made at home in our studio.

Our best to you and your staff..... From Jackie Kielkopf (speaking for the rest of our group of Kielkopfs for our visit last June)

Room Tip: Any of the rooms will be peaceful and clean. We loved our stay so much!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank oilpaint k
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Let me start by saying that all the wonderful reviews about Anaconda Lodge are 100% correct. It is an amazing place to unplug from civilization while learning amazing histories and facts about a region, a people and a fading culture. You will eat truly wonderful food, and to be charmed and pampered by the owners Francisco and Sylvia as well as their hard working staff. To say any more than that would only be duplicating all the wonderful things said in earlier reviews.

What I would like to add are a few facts that I think could enhance your visit to Anaconda Lodge. These are in no way criticisms, they are observations based on my experience, shared with the hope that it will help others enjoy this fabulous lodge.

It is warm in the jungle; however the cabins are designed in such a way that even during the hot muggy nights, a breeze flows through and I did not find it uncomfortable. I even turned off the fan every night – I found the sound from the fan interfered with the lullaby of the jungle singing me to sleep. Don’t let the lack of air conditioning deter you from visiting. I had stressed about this a lot prior to coming – I want to relieve others of this concern. Also, just a side note - I don't know how they do it, but there is more mold inside my air conditioned home in Virginia than in the non air conditioned cabins sitting in the humid amazon jungle! I did not see one speck of mold - anywhere! Truly amazing!

This is the jungle – bugs happen. Be prepared. Keep the door to your cabin closed and the bugs will stay outside. When you are outside, cover all exposed skin with serious bug protection. We never did see any mosquitoes, and the owners assured us that they do not have mosquitoes. They DO have sand fleas. Even a brief walk through the compound unprotected will leave you with their bites. We used the nasty 30% deet stuff found on Amazon.com. We did not get any bites. Other visitors at Anaconda the same time as us used less “industrial” strength bug repellent and were bitten badly. Come prepared with the deet. That said, if you do get bitten by the sand fleas, be sure to ask about “dragon’s blood”.

The sun is intense. I need to say this again - the sun is really, really intense. My daughter thought I was exaggerating this fact; however after our first tubing adventure she learned that even 45 minutes in the direct sun will cause a burn - and she rarely, if ever, burns at home! Don't let this stop you from enjoying the water activities. Just remember to put on sunscreen - frequently. Get a friend to help you get it on all the hard to reach places - and my husband wants me to mention in particular the tops of your feet. If you miss a spot - you are going to get a sunburn.

Don’t stress about what footwear to bring for the jungle hikes. We were provided with rubber boots to use for the duration of our stay. We all have average size feet. If you are an unusual size, ask before you come. I carried a pair of hiking boots to Ecuador and back – never taking them out of my suit case. I’m glad I used the provided boots – there is a lot of mud on the hikes – but the rubber boots work great.

Cesar, the guide for our jungle hikes, is amazing. His joy and love of the jungle is apparent in everything that he does. Do be aware that he does not speak much English. Do NOT let that stop you from going on these hikes! Through gestures, pantomimes and his limited English and our even more limited Spanish, we were still able to learn so much. Often times it was just a finger to the lips, then a finger pointing out a bird or insect which was interesting – something we would have never noticed without his sharp eyes. I also felt that working to understand Cesar was part of the whole “adventure” side of things. I absolutely loved it and would not want it any other way.

Finally, after the disaster that was our attempt to use PayPal to pay the balance of our bill, I wouldn't be surprised if Francisco decided not to offer this option any longer, so please discuss with him how you want to pay your final bill before you arrive – there are not any ATM’s in the jungle! IF he decides to continue to use PayPal, be sure you know your email and PayPal account passwords. Don’t try to guess. Equally important, notify PayPal that you will be initiating a transaction from outside the US (or your home country). You can find out how to do this on the PayPal website.

Our stay at Anaconda Lodge was wonderful and magical. The hikes and other activities were all the appropriate length and fitness level for our group, and the quiet down time each afternoon made this one of the most relaxing vacations I have taken in many years. Don’t let anything discourage you from visiting Anaconda Lodge – just come prepared with the information I shared above, and your desire for adventure. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had an amazing time at Anaconda lodge for 3 days/2 nights!!

Straight down from the boat, the host welcomes you with a glass of local tea, which set the scene for the rest of the stay!!

The bungalows are the perfect mix between simplicity, a lot of taste, and are overall very clean and comfortable.

The food is delicious, from the breakfast to the three course lunch and dinner, all freshly prepared with local produce!! We specially loved the lasagna!! Thanks chef Rodrigo!

Finally, the tours in the jungle with Cesar, a local Kichwa, are very informative and range from discovering the traditionnal medicinal plants to observing the local fauna. We also visited a Kichwa family which showed us how to make Chicha and chocolate. The local shaman also came to the lodge to perform a limpia ("cleansing") which was amazing!

Francisco and Sylvia are two very interesting people, who take care of their guest as if they were family, and their involvement with the local community (school project, chocolate factory project,...) is an example of integrated eco-tourism!

Overall, you get a more authentic experience than staying in Tena and doing the jungle tours, whilst being spoiled by the Anaconda Lodge team, and for a very competitive price!

We will definitely come back! Thanks Francisco and Sylvia!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Our Dear French / German Great Friends, you both make a Beutiful Couple.
Like I almost always answer, the most important thing for Anaconda Lodge Ecuador is that our Guest can communicate with the Nature of the Amazon and specially with the Native local People, Kichwas.
Hope that you make your dream come true, the Hostal!
A big hug for you both!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

A friend and I signed up for the four day and three night tour and had a fabulous time, starting from the minute we arrived. The cabins were exceptionally clean and comfortable and the food was absolutely phenomenal - homemade (almost) everything! Chatting with Francisco and Silvia (the owners) enhanced the experience and they also told us that malaria is not a problem in the region around the lodge, so it's one less concern! The staff at the lodge were very friendly and caring and we loved going on hikes with Cesar. Francisco and Silvia have created an amazing oasis in the jungle and we learned so much - the reality and beauty of the Amazon. We highly recommend a visit!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Francisco R, Propietario at Anaconda Lodge Ecuador, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Our dear good Friends, from Seattle and London, Silvia and I had a great time with you both. It's so nice when our guest understand what we are doing here in the Amazon, making conscience that this is a Magical place in the Planet, and regretfuly it's being destroyed.
Hope to see you both some time in the future.
Our best regards from Anaconda Lodges Office!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

As we sit in Quito's airport ready to head back to Philly, we wish we could turn back time and be back at Anaconda Lodge. Our experience was one of a kind! This beautiful place along with their knowledgeable and kind staff created the perfect space for all us to fully disconnect from our busy and noisy lives and fully connect with nature.
We can't wait to get back to the US to share our incredible experience with all those around us!
We really look forward to our next visit to this little piece of heaven in the Ecuadorian Amazon!
Thank you Francisco, Silvia, Rodrigo and Cesar for being a huge part of this amazing journey!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank SebFitz

Hey Seb, we also would like to turn the time back and you guys back here with your Beutiful Family, a big hug to you and your brother, we will be waiting for you guys some day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tena
Cotococha Amazon Lodge
#12 of 31 in Tena
Yacuma Ecolodge
Yacuma Ecolodge
#6 of 31 in Tena

Been to Anaconda Lodge Ecuador? Share your experiences!