“We arranged 6 days trip with the...”

Cotococha Amazon Lodge
Ranked #2 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Tena
Rome, Italy
“We arranged 6 days trip with the...”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We arranged 6 days trip with the lodge,visiting terms de papallacta, the amazon lodge, baños, Cotopaxi volcano, a colibri farm and salasaca community. It was simply marvelous. For less than 1000$ we had a personal guide and driver (Carlos and Luis) which made our trip special and perfect. The van was new and clean!a trip with a marvelous (we also went to Galapagos to make it more special), The best value for our money! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank Luigidd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
kskwared
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We were very excited about the Lodge based on reviews. We spend a lot of time camping and we were not expecting anything spectacular, we simply wanted a comfortable base to explore the area from -- hot water was a must and I even emailed the Lodge in advance to confirm that they in fact had hot water.

From day one our shower had cold water. We let the staff know and they were very apologetic and promised to fix the problem. We let them know that we didn't mind switching cabins if they couldn't fix it. We came back from a full day including a hike and visit to a local community and wanted a shower before dinner. Again, no hot water. We let the management know again and they again promised to fix the problem. A couple hours later we went back to the room and still, no hot water. They assured us it would be fixed by morning. We again offered to switch cabins (the place was nearly empty) but they promised it would be fixed by morning. Suprise, Suprise, the next morning we STILL had cold water. We were given no discount or any type of consolation. There are many other nearby lodges which don't advertise hot water and are much less expensive.

The lunch and dinner meals were great and very filling. Unfortunately the breakfast was severely lacking. The staff was very nice (although not exactly helpful in fixing a cold shower) and I highly recommend the butterful farm. Another downside is that not all of the cabins actually sit on the Rio Napo which is what the web site implies. Several are very far removed.

Pay the extra $50 and stay at the Hamadryade Lodge and you'll be guaranteed hot water and beautiful surrounding!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank kskwared
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Cotococha Amazon Lodge is an escape for the adventurous traveler and is located in Tena, Ecuador at the mouth of the Amazon River. If you get a chance to stay at Cotococha make sure to rent one of the private cottages where you will find complete privacy among botanical paths and trails. Activities include tubing on the river, hiking to the nearest waterfalls, and serene nature walks through Cotococha's landscape. Happy travels! and check out the video of the lodge here http://bit.ly/aQmNng

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I had a great experience last week at Cotococha. This lodge is near Tena, a small town about six hours from Quito and there is no need to fly here which is a bonus compared to some of the other lodges in Ecuador, especially as I am not a fan of light aircrafts.

When I arrived I was I was offered a cool drink and shown to my cabin. The lodge is set in beautiful Amazon rainforest on the banks of the River Napo and it was so peaceful to listen to the jungle sounds as I walked to my stilted cabin. The cabins are spacious and comfortable, I had two large beds in my room and a large bathroom with hot water. There is no electricity in the rooms and at night you are given two oil lanterns that last the night and give the rooms a dim but romantic glow. The windows and doors are covered with fine mesh to keep insects out, but let jungle sounds in, which is really soothing to fall asleep to. I had a balcony with views out to the river and the jungle, it was really beautiful.

There are set mealtimes for breakfast, lunch and dinner although lunch depends on which excursions you are on and so you may have lunche on the road in these ingenious meal boxes, which are like bento boxes and allow you to have hot meals anywhere, even on the bank of the river in the middle of nowhere as we did on the first day.

The lodge organised a number of jungle excursions that come part and parcel of your stay and they were really flexible with the itineraries taking into account people's preferences and physical abilities. I visited a local Kechua village where a shaman performed a soul cleansing ritual on me and I watched traditional dances from the villagers. I also visited a small town where monkeys were roaming freely and you have an opportunity to have a picture with a boa constrictor which was scary but fun. I did a number of hikes including a challenging but rewarding hike to a small waterfall where I swam at the base and then took an inflatable tube back down the river to the lodge which was a lot of fun.

I travelled alone, but met some lovely people at the lodge which made my stay really enjoyable. On my first day I sat chatting to the staff who were really helpful and full of information about the forests. At the moment there is a resident herbologist working there who came on excursions with us and had great knowledge of the plants in the area. I loved the hikes where you can really see all the uses of the various parts of the jungles, cocoa pods are a tasty fruit, termites provide natural insect repellant whilst some flowers have halloucinagenic properties when made into tea. I found all these little discoveries fascinating. Another thing I liked about the lodge was the fact that the employees were nearly all from local Kechua villages in the vicinity and so they really knew the jungle as this is their home.

The food was great and I enjoyed the Chilean blended wine they have on the menu. I enjoyed this trip immensely and managed to pack in lots of excursions in the days and then exchange tales with fellow guests in the evening. It was a jungle experience but with a touch of luxury that was welcomed at the end of a day's excursions. I would definitely recommend this lodge I had a fabtastic time and made some good friends in the process.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank B129
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 October 2009

We are a key South African couple African couple who visited our daughter and two granddaughters who live in Quito.

We Chose Cotococha Amazon Lodge because it offered an opportunity for the grand children who are 5 and 7 respectively to have a jungle experience that was not too arduous or stressful.
We all loved Cotococha- the rustic and rather primitive looking chalets which were, in fact, very comfortable and restful. It was no problem going to sleep at night with the sound of the Rio Napa rushing by. The great thing about this Lodge is that they have a range of activities which are generally not too challenging and they catered to the abilities of the children.
Yes this is not the Amazon rainforest and there are few birds and even fewer animals to be seen; for that one has to travel a lot further south and also face the dangers both from animals and kidnappers Our visit to Amazoonica animal and bird rehabilitation centre which has as its objective to return to the wild birds and animals that have been neglected in captivity or caught in traps was an interesting and enjoyable experience. The visit to the village of the Quicha tribe nearby was definitely a highlight. The family all tried their hand at hitting a ball so would parrot was the enormous blowpipe; enjoyed watching the manufacture of clay dishes and even panning for gold in the river. Although the littlest one did not participate in the river rafting back from the Quicha village, the rest of us found this amazing.
Creature comforts are not overlooked; the food was both good and there was plenty of it. Enough of the staff spoke and understood English for us to receive five-star treatment even when my Spanish speaking daughter was not around.
We loved this place and so will you if you go there

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank HorizonsNoordhoek
Brighton
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We have been to rainforest lodges before and so we had an idea of what to expect. The loge was great with good food and really comfortable but basic/clean rooms. I was really impressed by the lack of mosquitos round the lodge despite being right on the Napo. We didn't think we would see many animals as this isn't a deep rainforest experience and we were right but the trip on the river to the AmaZoonico was really lovely and we saw a group of monkeys on our way, which was fantastic. The tubing on the Napo is also an amazing experience.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Southern California
Reviewed 7 June 2008

This is a great jungle lodge, with a friendly staff, good food, a great location on the rio napo, awesome cabins etc..

Stayed here for 3 nights, one day particpated in the activites run by the lodge, one day paid extra to go river rafting. The lodge activites are included in your price, but we decided to skip a day of the set activities to go river rafting. This was an excellent decision.

The lodge is located near Tena, making it somewhat easier to get to. At first I thought I wanted to have a true jungle experience, but this is plenty close enough. It still is a bit of a trek. I would recommend a private car if you can afford it.

One note- you wont see ton of wildlife, you really need to go deep into the jungle for that. This is the same for most of the jungle lodges on the rio napo. There is plenty of crazy looking insects, a jungle feel, and peace and quiet though. Just dont expect monkeys hanging from the trees.

The Good: Value, Food, Staff, Location, Cabins rock, Lanterns, River rafting near Tena

The Ok: No sterotypical wildlife

Bottom Line: A great choice if leaving from Quito, also great for a larger group.

• Liked — Cabins
  • Disliked — Some annoying insects
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tena
Yarina Eco Lodge
#12 of 29 in Tena
Huasquila Amazon Lodge
Huasquila Amazon Lodge
#1 of 1 in Cotundo

Been to Cotococha Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!