“Outstanding Experience in Every Aspect”
Review of Amanjiwo Resorts

and 1 more site!
Amanjiwo Resorts
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Borobudur
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at the Amanjiwo with my husband and toddler son for the Easter holiday for 4 days and 3 nights. It was an incredible experience. The service was absolutely impeccable, property and location were gorgeous, food options were terrific and activities were so well planned. I thought this was a really great combination of a relaxing but also cultural holiday.

Pros:
- The property is gorgeous. The resort appears massive but there are really only 34 villas, so it feels incredibly private and intimate. The resort overlooks Borobudur directly. We had a pool villa which was not huge but was sizeable. The pool was also a good size. Again, not huge but also not just a glorified bath tub.
- Nice villas. The resort was built in 1997 but clearly hsa been maintained meticulously. Our villa had a sizeable outdoor bahtub, 2 sinks, a large bed and indoor shower.
- With the exception of one hiccup (which I mention below), service was impeccable. Phones picked up immediately, requests tended to immediately and just terrific attitude from everyone at the hotel. I only mentioned that we would be travelling with my toddler son and when we checked in, we found that they had made up a child bed especially for my son, without my specific request. We thought this was a very nice touch.
- Food options turned out to be great! I was concerned because basically there is only one restaurant at the hotel + the poolside restaurant so I thought there would not be many options. We ended up doing the in-villa BBQ one night, which was so nice. Food was great but they also came and decorated our villa and had a gamelan player during dinner. The highlight was the dinner at a local home owned by Pak Bilai's family who has owned the house for 3 generations. That was an incredibly special and unique experience.
- Borobudor is a great cultural destination and Jogyakarta is a lovely place to visit. There was not so much to do that we felt overwhelmed, meaning that we had a great balance of doing culutural things but also just relaxing in the hotel. Additionally, I think Borobudur is still kind of under the radar so even during the "busy Easter weekend", the tourist attractions did not feel too crowded
- We booked a Cultural Heritage package which included 3 activities. We chose the Sunset Cocktail, carriage ride / tour through a nearby village and tour of Borobudur. All were terrific and planned perfectly. The sunset cocktail was really special with the hotel setting up a table just for us in the middle of the rice paddy and a bartender/server hosting just us at sunset. The village tour was very fun and educational as well and the locals were so warm and inviting. The tour of Borobudur was with our own English speaking guide and was definitely worth the time and short trek.

Cons:
- The kids club was pretty average. There were a few planned activities but not much else.
- It’s expensive, the room rate, food, everything – but you definitely get what you pay for here.
- Airport transfer could have been better arranged. I had received an email when I made the booking that ground transport to and from the airport was included in our rate and that I should send our flight details to the hotel. I assumed that this meant that all I had to do was reply to the email since there were no other instructions. Apparently not. I had replied to the main reservations@amanresorts.com email to which I received no reply or acknowledgement of my email despite the 2 emails I sent. By the way, this is the email that is on the Aman webpage to email to if you want to make a reservation so I’m surprised my email was not replied to at all. After no reply, I called the hotel 3 days before our check in date to ask what was going on and they said they never received my email. Most other hotels regardless of whether or not transport is included in the room rate will send an email asking you if you require ground transport. I received no such proactive correspondence.

Tips: You don’t really need to spend more than 3-4 days max here. We had pool villa 27, which directly faces the rice paddies. We were told this villa has one of the best views but we were there when the rice had just been harvested so the paddies were a little ugly at the time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LittleEinNY
There are newer reviews for Amanjiwo Resorts

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel itself is no doubt beautiful and grand, with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and Borobudur in the distant. The hotel GM Mark was very sweet, friendly and knowledgeable of the area, with lots of suggestions of what to do over the Vesak day festivities. The staff was also very warm and remembered my 3-year-old daughter's name, which thrilled her. When my breast pump broke down on the first day, the hotel managed to source a local pump for me within an hour, which was an excellent relief.

The place itself is very quiet, so if you're there for privacy and exclusivity, this is it, though I did miss the buzz you get from being with other holiday goers. We had the whole big pool to ourselves. Unfortunately, I don't think the resort is for young children as there are many steps to climb, and the suite is mostly constructed of stone and hard marble, so falling down is painful as my kid would attest after taking a slight fall from the bedside and cutting her lip. She loved the open spaces though, and having a toddler bed set up for her was a welcome treat.

My main grouse is being charged exhorbitantly for small things. After spending $1000 on the room, I would have imagined that the small things would be waived. We were charged the equivalent of about S$8 for a plate of sliced green apples after requesting for it on arrival (I thought it would be complimentary) and then S$15 for 2 hard boiled eggs. That is kinda crazy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank meowleow
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Recently I had my first trip to Indonesia, all planned with perfection by Imagine Asia. After spending two days on a house boat in Borneo, we were itching to arrive at Amanjiwo...and we certainly were not disappointed. We were very warmly greeted (showered in rose petals!) and given a welcome drink, before being shown to our suite. We were thrilled to be given a complementary upgrade to a Borobudur suite, with amazing views.

The resort is stunning and as it was not yet peak season, it felt even more secluded and peaceful. The staff could not do enough for you and it really did feel as though you were treated like royalty. The hotel had even gone to the trouble of organising a complementary sunset visit to the Borobudur temple - not knowing this was already planned as part of our itinerary, so instead we had a private picnic up on the hills overlooking the temple after the visit. This was a very special experience and one of my highlights of the whole trip.

I have to give a mention to the food and drink, as it was outstanding! We only wished we could have stayed longer than the two nights we spent here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank honeyb1984
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Amanjiwo . Wonderfully sited resort. Beautiful views of borobudur from the hotel.
Almost immediate sense of peace once we were picked up and transported to the resort by their staff after touching down in the hustle and bustle of jogja airport.
It is very pricey compared to the other hotels in the region but an excellent choice for those looking for a sanctuary of calm and very good for couples who want privacy in a very romantic setting.
Staff are helpful without being intrusive and always ready to assist with a smile.
Rooms were beautifully done up and spotlessly clean. Very thoughtful in terms of amenities.
Paints for those who are inspired by the beauty around them. Hats for the hot hot hot weather.and not to forget the melt in your mouth cookies.
May require some rewiring to accommodate those who are unable to let go of their gadgets.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This is the best hotel we've been and it will be really hard to beat Amanjiwo...

Not only did the hotel GM, Mark, greeted us upon arrival, we had a good chat about the premise, the location, where we were from etc. This was then followed by a beautiful welcome card in the suite.
And that wasn't it... Mark is personable and we had good daily interactions with him throughout our stay.

As many have noted, staffs here are top notch! A note to thank all the staffs who made our stay such a memorable and personal one... In no preferential order (as every single one of you have been amazing):
1. Imam - thx for making the journey from airport to hotel seamless. It was a great touch that you brought 2 jars of tempeyek knowing we love them for our excursions. The visit to Pak who made coconut sugar was an extra touch which we cherished to be able to experience the home of the locals.
2. Susi - thx for making the effort to 'hem' the kebaya before arranging for the actual tailoring (as it was too loose). The initiative and the speed blown me away!
3. Farid - thx for being such a wonderful guide for our cycling expedition. The route through the village, the friendly villagers, the experience in making potteries, and the visit to Mendut temple were such great experience. It was our first cycling (still unbelievable that we covered 20kms!) and many to come!!
4. Nuke and all staffs at the 2 dining areas - thx for being so attentive (yet not disruptive) including noting our personal preferences and so accommodating. In the first dinner, we were served with prawn crackers. I asked for sambal belacan (a local chilli paste) and somehow they figured I love my sambal and most of my meals were served with sambal belacan!!! We also appreciate that we were not the slightest of all being forced to order more (as we both are small eaters). Thx again for serving the young coconut after our cycling trip although it's not in the menu - it was very refreshing!!
5. Tari, Nur & Sue (hope I've got your names correct) - thx for the great massages and ultimate pampering... It was one of the best spa experience we had... Tari was so good the first time (when I asked for facial which came with some massages) that I asked for her the second day for our mandi lulur. Nur's pijat (Indonesian deep tissue massage) was firm and focused on areas which I didn't even know I needed!! Sue is so gentle and professional when scrubbing, applying yoghurt, bathing (in herbal rose bath), and applying body lotion... Felt like royalties for a day :)

Thanks again Amanjiwo aka peaceful soul!! I look forward to other Aman stay (because of you!!) which Mark explained has 3 pillars being peace, feel at home and focuses on the local environment...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shiny_ainie
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The mark of a truly top-notch hotel is its service, this is what we experienced at the Amanjiwo. We're on a family holiday with my 3 months old baby, I have to say my little Chloe felt at "home". The room had everything that we needed, changing area, super comfortable baby cot, welcome baby products, a baby bath, and the hotel upgraded us to a room located close to the main restaurant to reduce the number of stairs.
The staff was very attentive and professional, the food was excellent. Beyond great service.
A must !!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed at Amanjiwo for 2 nights, wow, what an experience. Let me just say, the staff, especially the local staff, are absolutely amazing. they were so welcoming, smiles from the heart, and extremely friendly. and kudos to Aman, being able to train their staff to the standards that they have, it's no easy task. Look at it this way, you are asking local staff, which is what's amazing because it provides a very authentic experience to the visitor to interact with the locals, to learn and act on every whims of the expectations of clienteles like Aman has...... that, is nothing short of a miracle. And I mean this in the most complimentary way. it elevates the local community's standard of living.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borobudur
Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
#5 of 22 in Magelang
Hotel Tentrem Yogyakarta
Hotel Tentrem Yogyakarta
#4 of 205 in Yogyakarta

Been to Amanjiwo Resorts? Share your experiences!