Amanjiwo Resorts
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Borobudurhills(Borobudur)
View Hotel
All reviewspool suiteaman propertyoutdoor bathtubborobudur suiteed tuttlemain buildingpool restaurantborobudur templehousekeeping staffrice fieldscentral javadriver guideprogo riverroom numberday bedthe general managercommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This Aman property is in unique location overlooking Borobodor in a distance with mountains in the back drop.

The whole property was beautifully built amid lush local village and looks like a luxurious version of Borobodor.

The room is typical of aman but the bed is built with four "poster" pillars which looks majestic. The bathroom amenities are contained in locally made glassware/pottery that are unique to Amanjiwo.

The only gripe I have with Aman resort is that for a luxurious resort chain, their beds always feel worse than or sometimes similar to a three star hotel. It is always a queen size bed with rough bedsheet.

Service wise is always top notch with most Aman. The early morning Borobodor sunrise tour is defintely the highlight of staying here. It is only 10min away and Aman prepares small breakfast with fragrant coffee/tea before you leave so that you can enjoy Borobodor without feeling hungry or sleepy.

It is a fine stay for 2 nights as there is otherwise nothing much in the surrounding besides the UNESCO temple.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Words cannot describe this hotel or its staff. You'll just have to experience it - and you'll never want to leave.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We were met at the airport by the Amanjiwo staff and drove directly to Magelang. It was like a drive back into the past.. old kroncong (Portuguese heritage music) songs and traditional snacks accompanied safely until we arrived in Amanjiwo. The ten-year old property is located in Menoreh hill facing Borobudur temple.

The entrance is simple with old Javanese scripture hanging from the wall. The little girls giggled and threw rose petals which caught me by surprised. A glass of cold ginger-lime cordial and cold lemongrass scented face cloth, awaited in the guest area, before leading to our room. The air was fresh, with a touch of sandalwood.

The feeling was so magical, dramatic, but maintaining serenity, discreetness and space. All you can look around you are surrounded by Menoreh hill, tropical rain-forest and a tranquil lotus pond.

Having a walk around the premise, including further down towards the padi field path.. all you can hear is the chorus of cicadas, some bird chirping and nature at peace. In the background, Jai Uttal's kirtan was played on the in-room cd.

Later in the evening, I nurtured my mojito gracefully while nibbling home-made salmon canapé, in anticipation of my simple margarita pizza to arrive, accompanied by green salad mix. At the end, my taste buds had another round of happy dance that day. The staff set a special dining table, with rose petals and jasmine forming a heart-shape bouquet on it... underneath it was scattered with rose petals and float candles.. I could only sigh with contend.

Once they cleared out the dishes, I ordered lapsang souchong tea - a special fir-smoked Chinese tea. It came along with a warm chocolate soufflé and chocolate sauce on the side and especially, with a warmest smile and birthday wishes from the staff... This was a compliment from the chef.

In the morning, we chose to climbed up Borobudur Temple since dawn.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights as part of a honeymoon tour of Indonesia. This is a magical place. We stayed in room 24, which is a Borobudur pool suite. The room was amazing inside and out. The food was absolutely fantastic, fruits and vegetables were so fresh and delicious that they must have been grown on the property and picked that day. The service is absolutely perfect; the Javanese people are beautiful and are the most hospitable I have ever encountered.

If you can possibly take the time and spare the expense, you should go here for an out of this world experience.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tommyVirginiaBeach
Reviewed 26 January 2010

My husband and I stayed at Amanjiwo in late January 2010 with some close friends of ours. We've stayed at Amankila, Four Seasons Sayan, Four Seasons Jimbaran, Four Seasons Chiang Mai, etc. This was the most enjoyable resort I've visited.

Amanjiwo's location is superb. It is located in central Java about an hour's drive from Yogyakarta and 3 km from Borobudur, the most famous temple in Indonesia. Surrounding the hotel is nothing but small villages and rice fields, and when you drive up, you can see Borobudur temple through the central part of the hotel. The architecture of the hotel is spectacular. Even the swimming pool is lovely, an infinity edge with beautiful landscaping and rice fields and limestone cliffs behind it. In the afternoons, you can see the swallows and dragonflies over the rice fields. You feel at the same time in the midst of nowhere and utterly relaxed.

We went during rainy season, and I don't regret it for one second. Everything was green and blooming, and we had very little rain. It would typically be glorious in the mornings and then warm enough to enjoy a great swim in the afternoons followed by a wonderful one hour or so tempest in the late afternoon. The rooms each have a large outdoor courtyard with a covered bale with seating for four, so we would sit out under the rain and listen to the thunder and lightning. It was lovely.

Many top hotels strive to give you an experience that seems like a top end New York hotel. For myself, that's not what I want to experience when I visit somewhere foreign. Amanjiwo is designed to make you feel as though you do have the luxuries of home but are in the midst of central Java - it's a wonderful atmosphere.

The rooms were beautiful. We stayed in one of the Borobudur suites, Room 25, and our friends were in the adjoining suite, Room 26. We were very close to the pool, which we liked. There was a large king sized bed with excellent sheets and pillows, and the architecture and glass paintings were lovely. The water pressure in the shower is superb, and we really enjoyed the various lotions and shampoos, all of them herbal. They even have a mosquito repellent lotion that smells like citronella and not harsh chemicals, as well as beautiful incense burners. The housekeeping staff did a terrific job. My favorite part of the room was the outdoor bathtub that is huge and made of stone. In an afternoon rainstorm, you can perch in the warm water and feel the giant raindrops come down. If I had any comment on the room, the only thing I would change is to add another electric outlet or two for charging up camera gear, laptops, etc. For those of you who have to travel on business, there is broadband internet and it is faster and more consistent than most of the places we visited. I like very much that you don't feel nickled and dimed by being charged for it.

The food was excellent. Two in our party were vegetarians, and the resort went out of its way to make sure that we had ample choices for food at each meal. Each day, there were varying lunch and dinner menus - two pages worth of vegetarian selections. About a half dozen would vary from day to day, and there were probably another 15 choices on the menu, giving us plenty to choose from. I was very happy, as most resorts only give two or three options the entire stay. Examples of dishes that we enjoyed were: lemon souffle pancakes, pommelo chili salad, rice paper rolls with tofu and sprouts, trancam (a local salad of fresh vegetables mixed with sliced chilies, lime and toasted coconut), citrus and avocado salad, a red curry with tempe and tofu, various vegetarian pizzas with thin wood-oven crusts, cheese plates, homemade fettucini with truffle and wild mushrooms, nasi goreng, mie goreng, long beans with chilies and bean sprouts, stir fry with bamboo shoots, etc. This is not even close to all of the choices that we had, and I'd like to heartily thank the resort for all the effort they made in this regard. I was pregnant during this trip, but no matter what I was craving, there was something on the menus that fulfilled it or they would happily make it. When we did a hike up the Menoreh hills, the staff packed a picnic lunch with beers, waters, tangerine juice, fruit salad, baguette with grilled veggies/cheese, mini olive-tomato tartlets, vegetable crepes, poached pears, and jelly sponge cakes. The wide variety of choices and consideration was the most thoughtful of everything done for us at this resort.

The meat eaters also had many choices, including lobster and mango salad, charcoal wok-fried Javanese dishes, Javanese curried soups with fresh prawn, etc. I would also highly recommend trying the chocolate souffles. We had two brought to our room one night, and amazingly, even though we are located as far from the dining room as any of the other rooms, the souffles did not fall and were some of the best we've had. We also enjoyed delicious fruit plates with snakefruit, passionfruit, mangosteens, mango, and papaya, and an assortment of fresh juices, such as soursop, which could also be made into various coolers and mixed drinks.

The resort kept our rooms stocked with fresh fruit bowls with cutting knives, forks, napkins and plates and would leave snacks as well, including tapioca chips, shrimp chips, and delicious marbled slices of pound cake in the afternoon. Of the various high end resorts I've visited, this had the best "captive" food such that I never felt limited, even after four days of eating all of our meals here.

We tried the spa treatments and were delighted at how good they are. They used a spa room that was actually a converted guest room right down the row from ours. I don't know if this was typical or if they were just trying to locate our spa treatment as conveniently as possible, since that evening, a huge rainstorm came in. Either way it was delightful. They sent a woman to come fetch us at the appointed hour, and she led us into a room with two massage beds and soft music playing. The massage therapists come from the local village and both were older women, one of them 70 years old. My husband likes very deep tissue massage with strong pressure and being over 6'3", he was worried that the older of the two women, who looked to be about 5 feet tall, couldn't possibly give him a strong massage. He was wrong. She applied the pijat or traditional Javanese acupressure massage, and he said it was one of the two best massages in his life. She first went all over his body, checking silently for any injuries or tight muscles, and then without even having to tell her, she immediately honed in on his problem areas and massaged them, really working out the kinks and knots. After one hour, he said it felt like he'd had a two hour massage. He immediately made another appointment for the following morning. I had a standard Javanese massage because I'd read in the spa description that the pijat could be painful. In retrospect, I should have tried the pijat and just asked for light pressure, although I think I got a combination of longer strokes with the acupressure type of strokes. It was excellent, and I could tell that my therapist was very experienced. I also liked that this must be one of the few ways that older local women could really earn a good wage. My husband's therapist was named Dirhiya, and she was beautiful.

My favorite part of the Amanjiwo experience, however, and what distinguishes Aman from other fine chains is the cultural aspect. We chose to come on one of the "cultural trails" package, and if you can do the same, I highly recommend it. It allows you to pick three activities with a three night stay, and breakfast is also included. Since it was so hot in the mornings, we generally did our activities in the morning and spent the afternoons relaxing, swimming in the pool and just soaking in the atmosphere.

The first morning, we did the Borobudur dawn trip. I can't recommend this highly enough. During low season, even on a weekend day, we were one of about 12 people at the entire monument as the sun rose. You leave around 4:30 am in the morning and Amanjiwo has worked with another hotel to allow you to access the temple before the general public. What a miracle to be able to experience something like this with no crowds. By the time we left the temple only a few hours later, the buses had pulled in and there were crowds thronging every bit. The temple itself is a marvel - the top is so gorgeous at dawn. Our sunrise was not one of those spectacular ones, since it was cloudy, but even then, the mists and early morning light, followed by more diffuse morning light, made photography a joy. After we had thoroughly explored and photographed and enjoyed the top level, our guide took us through the various levels and explained some of the history and background. The lower levels were a marvel with the detailed friezes and reliefs carved in stone.

After the temple experience, our driver took us to some local markets, including a bird market where the locals train their songbirds for bird singing competitions, and a local food market. Unlike Bali, this area is not heavily touristed, and even at Borobudur, we were the odd ones out, with the local Javanese taking pictures of us with their cameras or cell phones. We also visited some antique stores before heading back to the resort.

The next morning, we visited some rice fields called Selogriyo. This is another activity that I would highly recommend. The scenery is spectacular and it is a gentle 45 minute walk. It is muddy during rainy season but you'll have a chance to wash your feet on the way back or you can wear tennis shoes or hiking boots. There was a small temple at the top, but far and away the best attraction was walking along a pathway frequented only by the local villagers and seeing the spectacular terracing. I am not very fit, so if I had no trouble, I'm sure that anyone could do this walk. On the way back, the more adventurous had a choice of going a steeper river pathway to return. Our guide pointed out some gorgeous jeweled beetles that had transparent wings with bright gold or bronze in the center - they looked like flying jewels.

This and the dawn temple experience should definitely be two of your three activities. For the third, we ultimately chose to do a picnic following a Menoreh hills limestone cliff climb, but you could do any number of other activities, including one of the local village dining experiences, since you can climb the Menoreh hills on your own without a guide.

Lastly, I must say how wonderful all the service generally was, but in particular, our driver/guide, Didit. Amanjiwo is great in having the same person who picks you up at the airport be the guide or driver during your entire stay. That makes it so nice as you get to know someone. Didit was very unobtrusive but had a great sense of humor and a lovely personality. Didit has worked for Amanjiwo for 12 years and knows all about the resort and their various activities. He was very knowledgeable, not just about the history and nature around us, but he had also scouted some of the best photographic vantage points for the temples, the rice fields, etc. He said that he's often the one selected to guide photographers that visit the resort, and it doesn't surprise me. When we were at Borobudur, he would very subtly take us to one spot where we had a wider angle of the temple and then behind some old pathways and down a ways where we could see the temple surrounded by blooming flowers. He did it so seamlessly that you didn't even realize unless you paid attention that he was guiding you to all of the best spots that he had already scouted.

Didit also went so far out of his way to make sure we had a complete experience. For example, the Borobudur dawn experience with Didit included a full history of the temple following the sunrise, a visit to two other temples, visits to local markets and antique stores, and separate drives to other spots that gave great shots of the temple. He must have spent about 8 hours with us that day. When he found out that I liked durian, he found a local durian seller and we sampled a couple of durians. Didit was generous with his time to an incredible degree, even though he lives and drives each way from Yogyakarta (an hour drive each way) and must have been exhausted picking us up so early each morning so we could have the best light for photography. Didit also speaks seven languages, so it is not a wonder that he seemed friends with the locals everywhere we went. We felt incredibly fortunate having Didit as our driver, and I would definitely request him on a future stay.

The other staff were equally lovely, and went out of their way to give us a wonderful experience. When I was doing a hike, for example, Fenny insisted that I borrow some resort hiking shoes and brand new socks, and thank goodness, as a huge rainstorm made the trail much muddier than anticipated, and I would surely have slipped all over the place if she hadn't done this. There were other little touches throughout our stay. Even on our picnic lunch, the staff brought along watercolors in case we wanted to paint the views. I am extremely impressed with how well this resort is run, and must give a thumbs up to the management. It's everything you could want in a resort, and I would highly recommend that anyone visiting Bali include this in your stay. It is well worth the cost and the short travel from Denpasar.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple