“Brusque and unfriendly staff - Hard to warrant a 4 star rating for this hotel”

Ringhotel Winzerhof
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rauenberg
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Just returned from a 2 day dealer's meeting in Wiesloch and we were booked into this hotel. I came into the restaurant by mistake with my small amount of hand luggage the first night and was shouted at for not using the hotel entrance. Room was small but clean, view was over someone's backyard and from whichever direction one looked there was the sight of another house in the village - not a picturesque location, despite the rural "gasthaus" first impression from the outside. The breakfast was very good, but a cheery "Gutentag" to the waitress was greeted by a sullen look. The dining room in the evening was full (mainly locals apparently) and the one male waiter was the only friendly face I saw there. After three dinners there I had exhausted the vegetarian options.
Bathroom was clean, hot water sporadic (don't you just love it as it jumps from hot to cold and back to scalding as you wake up in the shower?!) and there were no toiletries apart from stock shampoo/soap in a container fixed to the wall. TV was of course only in German, all 25 channels and the picture froze periodically. Hard to warrant a 4 star rating for this hotel.
There was a very long queue for checking out and my company MC credit card was not accepted despite correct PIN and more than adequate funds - the 40 minute + delay meant that I missed my flight. It was a depressing start to my stay and a depressing end.
I shall be back there at our next dealer's meeting, but don't look forward to it.

Room Tip: Rooms were quiet (apart from 6 am church bells which I didn't find too disturbing), but views fr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ringhotel-Winzerhof, Front Office Manager at Ringhotel Winzerhof, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Sir,
thank you very much for your voting.
In case of your statement we want to comment as follows:
We are sorry, that we didn’t fulfilled your expectations.
It would have been nice if you contact us and told us about your problems with us, because we hoteliers from the Ringhotels always have an open ear for our guests – you are our most important asset.
Also important to us is our staff – which we appreciate and which we are very proud for them. Therefore we are very hit by the statement “unfriendly staff”.
We offer in our guest rooms in the bath a shampoo or a soap.
In case for the environment we generally don’t offer small single packings.
Also we have and description in the room for the TV with a list where you can find the international channels.
For not acceptance your credit card (with correct pin) we don’t have influence.
It’s message from the bank.
However, we would be very happy to welcome you again in our house – if you want to give us a second chance.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed at the Winzerhof on a business trip. The reservation was made for me by a local German colleague (I'm from the US) and I was pleased with his choice. The staff was very friendly, the room was comfortably large, wireless internet worked without issue, the breakfast every morning was very good! The orange juice machine (like a huge juicer that takes in whole oranges out of a bin!) made marvelous juice! I ate in the restaurant one night and the food there was really good...hearty German food.
All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JimFlyer2010
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I found this hotel on a business trip and really enjoyed the place. Nice and warm welcome, in English if you need, nice and clean room. This family owned place makes your really feel like you are in this part of Germany and nowhere else. The restaurant provides good and simple local food and you can eat outside in summer. There is a nice little pool in upper level with sauna if you fancy it. If you are looking for a hotel which isn't looking like any other hotel of the same chain, have a try in this one and hopefully, you will enjoy the experience. Prices are quite reasonnable as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I've stayed once on the weekend and quite liked the place - nice and cozy territory, peaceful surroundings, very good restaurant. My room was quite good - newly refurbished, spacious, the bed was ok.
I really like the restaurant – they serve some German local food and it is really good!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Hotel is OK. Rooms are quite small. Wifi works but only 1 device at a time. Restaurant was quite good. Did not use exercise room due to odd hours of 6-10 PM, as I normally go in the mornings. Oddly enough could not find a bar when walking around Rauenberg. One is on site at the hotel, we just wanted some place different.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed two nights in the hotel on a business trip. Beds (single room) are tiny (90 x 190cm) and not acceptale for taller people like myself - "You can buy an upgrade to a double room" is not an acceptable answer received at the reception either ...
The location is quite nice (for having a run or a walk) and staff unfriendliness (on first sight) can be explained with "rural charme".
Design / furniture in rooms (as well as carpets) are if at all just acceptable; rooms are not noice isolated and ear plugs were useful - bathrooms have been renovated and are clean and well functional (but pls. exchange the Shampoo). Restaurant food quality was good and WiFi Access is free.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LAGOHH
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I've stayed at the Winzerhof many times on business, but not anymore. This Hotel has had a captive local business with SAP and DuPont for many years and frankly has milked it. A few of the rooms (above the reception) are really excellent, but the vast majority have not been refurbished for many years and are very tired and scruffy.
The restaurant is pretty good, but the service is poor. They have several function rooms and if they have some kind of function during the evening then forget it if you're a resident.
The newly opened Villa Medici in Bad Schoenborn is close by and must be taking many customers from the Winzerhof. Also I would recommend the Scheffelhohe in Bruchsal or the Kreuzberghof in Tiefenbach.

Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rauenberg
Hotel Sinsheim
Hotel Baer
Hotel Baer
#2 of 6 in Sinsheim
Cross-Country-Hotel Hirsch

Been to Ringhotel Winzerhof? Share your experiences!