“Unfortunate experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Bosham B&B and Inns
Romford, United Kingdom
“Unfortunate experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Booked the Sussex Room for 2 nights to attend a friends wedding, but had to cancel one night due to my husbands poor health. On phoning the B&B, I was made to feel like I was making up a story and had only ever wanted to stay one night (2 night minimum enforced!). Having checked their website, I suggested I vacated the Sussex room and moved to the Fontwell room, which would suit myself and my 3 year old daughter as it was a twin and also it was slightly less expensive. Kevin agreed that he would market the Sussex Room for the 2 nights and also the Fontwell for one night. I agreed that should the Fontwell room not be sold that Friday night, I would pay for the 2 nights and just arrive early. That was agreed.
I have now just received an email, cancelling my stay. This means I have to find another hotel as near to Bosham as possible and travel late at night with a 3 year old in my car, rather than being able to get a taxi back to the B & B.
I know this sounds like sour grapes, but I do feel as though I have been badly treated by Kevin and this is not how potential customers should be treated prior to arriving.
Our room was booked by Lorraine and she was extremely helpful and had even agreed to allow our 3 year old to stay, when they have a age limit of 8 years for children. She even called back to check her gender, so that the bed could be made up in pink or blue, how thoughtful.
However, I should have realised something would go wrong, when our booking confirmation and check in details came through, adding £50 to the price for the extra bed., even when we had offered to bring our own! I double checked this via e-mail, but was told that it was correct as they had no facility to add a childs rate to their website booking facility!
I would like to be clear. This review is not a case of sour grapes, it is a factual account of what happened and how the Boathouse have now ruined what should have been a lovely weekend.
Bookers beware.......check and double check all your details and confirm everything in writing as they go back on their word.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Pebblepower23
Bosham-Boater, Owner at The Boathouse Bosham, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Well my Gast has never been so Flabbered

Not that this reviewer has such 'Sour Grapes' but that this review is allowed by someone that was NOT allowed to stay here.

This person made a general enquiry about children staying here. She was told very definitely that children under 8 were not allowed.

She then went ahead and booked for 2 Adults but wrote in the booking notes that she would be bringing a 'well behaved 3 year old as discussed with Lorraine'

Our only mistake was we did not pick up on the note on the booking for a couple of days.

As soon as we started the confirmation letter we noticed the note and emailed the 'lady' and informed her that we do not allow small children but on this occasion we would
allow her child if she took a room right out of the way of our other guests.

We also informed her that a childs bed would be £25 per night.

She initially took exception to this but as we pointed out we earn our living from providing
accommodation and if she wants 3 people in a room she must pay for that. She expected the child to be FREE because she would bring a blow up bed, 'all she needed was bedding'.

She agreed to the extra cost and we confirmed room and price

Four nights before her stay she rang saying she only required one night (we have a 2 night minimum stay at weekends in the Summer) because her Husband was very ill with a tummy bug and would still be ill at the weekend. She explained she was 'in the industry' and 'knew' we could not have a guest in our establishment immediately after having gastroenteritis. (This would be true, but ONLY if HE was cooking the breakfast)

Furthermore she wanted to change rooms to our cheapest room as it 'was just her and her Daughter. She explains this as 'Slightly Less Expensive' in her review. Her idea was actually £182 less expensive.

I explained this would not be possible.

I told her that I would attempt to re-let the room and if I did I would waive all financial responsibility for cancelling her booking.

I was being generous and sympathetic to her plight.

Her parting comment did give me the impression she still expected to change rooms, she suggested she only come for one night but 'perhaps' pay for two, however I had spent the last 20 minutes at past bed time, explaining the situation so I said my goodbyes and set about re-advertising the room.

Within 24hrs I managed to re-let the room (at a slight loss) and informed her there would be no further recourse. I entitled the email 'Good News'

She seemed angry that I let 'her room' go.

Before this review we were No: 1 out of 7 in Bosham at the time of writing this response we are No: 4... so as you can see this 'lady' has achieved her objective.... unless of course.... you want a B&B that does not allow kids.

After this episode we are very firmly in the 'NO KIDS' camp. If you have young children, move on.

If you want a relaxing break, visit our website and book direct because, from 1st October 2013 until end of Feb 2014 we are offering B&B Lite for just £50 for a double or twin room per night. NO KIDS ALLOWED

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This may have been 5 star accommodation with luxury bed linen at one point but is feeling and looking a little tired now - could it be because the owners are thinking of selling ?
The coffee was excellent but don't ever be earlier than your chosen time slot for breakfast even if you are on holiday !!
And, in this age of paying with plastic, cash or cheque seems a little odd and inconvenient.
Kevin and Lorraine very pleasant, if a little chatty at breakfast.

Room Tip: Only choose the Goodwood for the ' adjustable' bed if you don't mind stretchy type sheet...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martha10898
lichfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We had an excellent weekend . Lorraine and Kevin were very friendly . The breakfast was delicious, the room was lovely and looked out onto a beautiful garden . The location is just a few miles from Chichester and the famous Roman palace of Fishbourne . There are heritage standard coastal walks nearby . We shall certainly be re-visiting .Highly recommended !

Room Tip: We loved the Goodwood Room .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We - two adults, two children - were in two rooms for a couple of nights, upstairs and downstairs (Sail Loft and Chichester). Fairly large, Immaculately decorated, v clean, and as others have commented, very comfortable beds. We had full english Breakfast - well cooked. Only suggestion would be a Nespresso or similar machine for coffee tho' we're probably more fussy about coffee than most. Website clearly says Gold Blend, so can't complain

• Stayed August 2013
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Our room was clean with exceptionally comfortable beds. Breakfast was delicious and hosts friendly and helpful.
Great location to explore Chichester Harbour area and wide choice of places to eat in the evenings. Set back from road so no issues with road noise.

Room Tip: We stayed in Fontwell very comfortable beds, bathroom small but well stocked with toiletries. Other...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed in the captains cabin which was a lovely room with double doors we could open as it was a very hot night. We had an amazing nights sleep, the beds were delightful, I must say, the most comfortable I have ever slept in and am contemplating buying one. The hosts were extremely friendly especially their dog! Would definitely stay again, very relaxing. Thank you
Pearcee

Room Tip: We loved our room especially for hot nights as we could throw open the window on the second floor an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Erryl
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

My daughter and I stayed in the Sail Loft for 3 nights. I had read a few reviews of this room as being like a "converted garage', I can honestly say it felt nothing whatsoever like a garage! The room was very well-appointed and clean and the bed was utterly fantastic...so comfortable in fact, that we were getting in it at 7.30pm just to relax!

We really enjoyed the breakfast...in fact my daughter ate twice what she does at home...and then we fed our bread scraps to the beautiful Koi carp in the garden. Lorraine was really helpful and accommodating with my daughter (I understand they don't normally take children under 8, so i think we sneaked in under the radar) and was happy to help with information on buses etc.

I would happily recommend The Boathouse and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bosham
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
#7 of 9 in Chichester
The Nags Head
The Nags Head
#9 of 9 in Chichester

Been to The Boathouse Bosham? Share your experiences!