“Over and Above!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bosham
London, United Kingdom
“Over and Above!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

My friend and I spent a long weekend at The Millstream in 2013 and it was the best weekend away that we had experienced for many years. We were impressed with the comfort of the beds and the lovely fine duvets, fresh milk in the rooms and lovely food both in the brasserie and the restaurant.
My husband and I happened to be staying in Bosham in June where there was no parking. I am disabled and this presented a big problem to me but The Millstream came to my rescue with a reserved space for the length of our stay in Bosham. I am so grateful to the hotel for this kindness.
My husband and I enjoyed quite a few lovely meals there and the manager and the staff looked after us really well. Thank you to everyone. We hope we will be back to stay sometime in the near future. Rita Armfield. Hampton.West London.

Room Tip: Twin Room ....Room 5 was great. well appointed and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Clare S, General Manager at Millstream Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Rita A
We are so pleased that you and your friend had a lovely long weekend here in 2013 and that you and your husband enjoyed many meals with us during your recent stay in Bosham. We are so pleased that you felt so well looked after by the team and it was our pleasure to be able to help make your stay in Bosham a more enjoyable one. We hope that our Laneside apartments are available to you should you visit Bosham again soon, as they offer self catering facilities in the heart of Bosham, but with the comfort of the hotel and our services being right on the doorstep too. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked this hotel with my wife and baby, and friends for a day at Goodwood. The staff were very friendly and understanding of new parents. We had a lovely cream tea on the lawn in front of the hotel which is very pleasant. The setting of the hotel is great and very convenient for Goodwood.
Our room was small however and VERY hot, but was clean.
The real plus of the trip was the restaurant. The Manager was excellent, Tom, and the food some of the best i have tasted in recent times. An excellent wine list too.
The only gremlin is that I have asked twice now for a copy of my bill but it still has not arrived!!!!
I would go back. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelox
Dear travelox,
Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you had a good stay and enjoyed your cream tea on the lawn, as well as your dinner in the restaurant. The kitchen team are thrilled that you felt the food was some of the best you have tasted recently. I am terribly sorry that your bill has not found its way to you yet, I hope our third attempt has made it by now! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Millstream and Bosham again very soon.
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We chose the Millstream Hotel for our wedding meal, for several reasons. Apart from being set in the beautiful seaside village, the hotel itself is lovely, as are its surrounding gardens – great opportunities for photographs!

Prior to the wedding, we met with the hotel manager to discuss our requirements for the day, and were pleased with the initial service. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble (the children’s menu, the picky eaters, the wine on the table, the reception drinks etc) and we were so pleased to be offered the opportunity to stay on our wedding night at the hotel for a reduced rate.

All this taken into account, we immediately booked the hotel, paid our deposit and left with the menu from which we were to pick our options for our guests.

Unfortunately, this is where the great service ended! We had very limited contact with anyone from the Millstream in the run up to the wedding – in the anxious run up to a wedding, it’s reassuring to hear occasionally from your chosen venue, to confirm things are in hand etc. If anyone answered the phone at all (be prepared for a long wait for someone to answer) the management were nearly always unavailable!

I was contacted by Steve, the hotel manager, the week before the wedding (not cutting it fine at all!) to discuss a few details (that we had already gone over at the initial meeting at the hotel in person – however, the Millstream never record anything in writing, or send you copies of anything discussed) such as wine for the table, reception drinks etc. I did ask at this point if we could pay upfront for the day, so as to avoid having to do so on the most special day of our lives, but was told we should settle the bill afterwards.

The day itself was amazing – we thoroughly enjoyed the entire day. If I had one criticism of the day, it would be that the maître de did hurry all aspects of the day, as if we were an annoyance to the usual running of the hotel. However, the serving staff were fabulous.

We stayed at the hotel that evening in one of the suites – a beautiful and comfortable room, that I really cannot fault in anyway. In addition the breakfast was delicious and welcome after such a busy day previously. Our stay in this room was a gift from our best man - and so when we checked out, there was only the meal to pay for.

At the reception, however, I was extremely surprised to see that our bill was an additional £220 than I was expecting to pay. When I queried it, I was told that this was the charge for the wine. The wine I believed was part of the cost of the meal – we had advised Steve that we wanted wine served with the meal but could not afford to simply put money behind the bar. Perhaps alarm bells should have rung when during the meal, no bottles were placed on the table, but people’s glasses were filled by waiters. No one’s glass was filled after the meal – despite us having the room for another couple of hours? I had no way of knowing how much wine had been consumed, but it was a particularly dry affair!

Obviously, no managers were around at this point to resolve the issue – so we agreed to pay for the price of the meal there and then, and the wine issue would be discussed with Steve when he returned from his holiday.

When we returned from honeymoon we were contacted by Steve who apologised for the confusion, but said no the wine wasn’t included in the meal, but agreed we could pay half as a gesture of goodwill. In addition he requested contact details for our best man, but did not say why, adding only that he did not want to embarrass us.

Although rather aggrieved at paying for half of something I felt I had already paid for, we decided to pay for an easy life – not wanting to enter into a dispute with the hotel. I did feel that better communication from the Millstream and far superior customer service could have avoided this confusion in the first place.

However, the matter was not resolved, and we continued to receive calls and messages from the Millstream management (during 9-5 working hours, so that neither of us could answer). It proved near impossible to contact anyone in the evenings.

When we finally did get hold of someone, we were informed that we still had the room to pay for from the night of the wedding. The credit card details that they were given by our best man were incorrect and had never been processed. I’d like to point out that this was being discussed with us in June and our wedding was early April.

When querying why a pre-authorisation of the card was not conducted before we stayed in the room, I was told only that they had never had to do that before – despite this being a simple measure most professional hotels use to avoid such situations. Our best man was now not in a position to pay for the room, thinking that it had been paid for 2-3 months previously.

After receiving numerous letters and emails threatening to take matters further, at a time when my wife was pregnant and suffering with ill health due to stress, we felt we had no option but to pay the £203 rate for the room. (I’m not sure what happened to the reduced rate Steve had offered to sort for us at our initial meeting, but at this point I could not be bothered to argue any further).

So in total, we ended up paying the Millstream hotel an additional £312 for our wedding – we received no apologies or explanations or reassurances that the hotel would take measures to avoid such issues in the future.

We are apparently welcome back any time (now that we have settled all bills – or so we think) however, I can’t think of a reason why we would want to repeat such an experience. Not that I would expect anyone at the Millstream to care.

If I had to sum up the Millstream Hotel in one sentence, I would describe it as a beautiful, shambolic and unprofessional establishment, with little regard to customer experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LTPenny
Dear LTPenny
Thank you for your review.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your wedding day here at the Millstream in April, and that you found the restaurant staff to be “fabulous”. I remember seeing you the following morning, and you told me you were both delighted with the day and had had a lovely time.
I am sorry that you felt you did not receive enough contact prior to the day. I have discussed this with Steve, and we both feel that it is unfortunate that you did not bring this to our attention prior to your review, as usually one or the other of us is contactable by telephone, but certainly always by email.
However, there was a misunderstanding about what was included in your wedding lunch as you believed you had arranged an inclusive package. The menu you chose was not applicable to that package, but this point was unfortunately not picked up by us and we do admit that we did not send you adequate confirmation, which would have brought this to light before your wedding day. We are always happy to meet our guests for extra appointments to discuss the details of their function in more depth should there be any questions or other details to discuss. However, we did come to an agreement regarding this difference, with which we were both happy.
I get the impression that the essence for the negative part of your review is that you are aggrieved that you had to pay for your overnight accommodation, when your best man failed to pay for your room as apparently he had agreed with yourselves. We did contact you informally, but no payment for the accommodation was presented. As the room was booked by yourselves and, legally, as the person making the reservation enters into a contract, you are ultimately responsible for settling the account, irrespective of any personal arrangement you may have made with another member of your party. We requested payment from you, for which you felt it was not your obligation to settle. Hence we regrettably had to look to take matters further.
I do not agree that we are a shambolic and unprofessional establishment. We regularly hold weddings and other functions here at the Millstream and as you can see, have received many complimentary reviews.
If you would like to discuss anything further regarding this, I am happy for you to contact me directly.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Beautiful surroundings,good food and really nice staff
We went here on a Friday evening and stayed the night
The night we went it was quite busy,no parties or music though
We are all in our fifties and sixties but I would say that night the average age was a good ten years older There were a few younger groups but not many
The room was very nice, in a country house style. Comfortable bed all very good
Would definitely like to go back soon
Tea in the garden looks as if it would be good too

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Clare S, General Manager at Millstream Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear oldspot123
Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable evening and would like to come back again soon. This glorious weather has meant that many of our guests are enjoying tea in the garden, so we will keep our fingers crossed that it stays this lovely for when you want to revisit us! We look forward to seeing you again very soon
Midhurst
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I took my mother in law out for the afternoon and on the off chance stopped at the Millstream for an afternoon tea at 2.30 and was told it was not available at 3.30..so we booked a table and returned excited for our treat. However, the dining room was not ready as there was a handy man drilling holes in the wall... we were offered the garden or lounge...we did not want to sit outside so we had to take the lounge...coffee tables and low chairs not really suitable for afternoon tea. What a disaster! firstly my cup was dirty and had to be changed, the scone was hard and doughy, the crab sandwich suitable for a run of the mill pub served as triangles on a dinner plate and garnished with half a plate of rocket, the lemon tart a thick shortcake type base with a swirl of lemon cream...sooooooo hard that we could hardly get a knife and fork through it....the cutlery given to us was a dinner knife and fork rather than pastry knife and fork. The staff were pleasant and the setting pretty.....this hotel could be so much more than it is!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TheVintageTearoom
Dear TheVintageTearrom
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you were disappointed when you visited us for afternoon tea. As you can see from our previous reviews, it is not often that we get it wrong and for that I apologise.
I am also sorry that on the day you were here we had had some maintenance going on in the restaurant. Unfortunately as a 24-hour business, sometimes maintenance needs to take place, and this needs to take place around lunch and dinner services. I am sorry that this impacted on the enjoyment of your afternoon and that you thought you would be served tea in the restaurant. This is usually only done by prior arrangement as we tend to serve it in the bar, lounge and garden between 3.30 and 5pm. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy the food, as we usually receive glowing comments about the afternoon tea and I have discussed this with the kitchen team. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.
shropshire uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

....of calm efficient and very friendly service in an attractive village!
The room was perfectly adequate despite overlooking the main door and car park! It might be a little hot in summer weather though.
Service from the enthusiastic cosmopolitan team was outstanding, polite and highly professional. The food in the restaurant was well cooked, of good quality and inventive, fully deserved of the two AA rosettes. The diners were all of a certain age, us included, but that's probably because it was mid week and off peak. Anyway it made for a mature civilised most enjoyable evening, not always the case these days.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to all my contacts and we would like to return before too long.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear cannytraveler
Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you had a lovely stay, enjoyed the food and found the service from the team to be outstanding. We always appreciate the high praise of a recommendation – so thank you very much. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Visited the Millstream's restaurant with friends who used to come to this place regularly many 'moons' ago, thought it would be a good idea to find out if it was as good as it used to be!

The food was very delicious, hot and presented lovely, there were some great fish dishes on the menu. It was popular on a Saturday evening and there was a good ambience. The only negative is the attitude of some of the waiting staff, most were doing an excellent job ( five stars to the barman who made my cocktail - excellent! ). I did see and hear a disagreement between staff which should not have taken place in the restaurant, not very professional, consequently one of my side items was almost thrown at the table I was seated at!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank donmat1964
Dear donmat1964
We are so pleased that you found the food to be delicious and liked the presentation, and overall had an enjoyable evening. I apologise that you had to see a disagreement between the team in the restaurant and that it affected the level of service you received. I have spoken with the team on that evening who are very sorry that you did not receive our usual high level of professionalism and service. We hope that you will visit again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bosham
Crouchers Hotel
#4 of 9 in Chichester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,441 reviews
Premier Inn Chichester Hotel
Park House Hotel & Spa

Been to Millstream Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!