“What a shame”

The Berkeley Arms
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Bosham
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Berkeley Arms is a great pub in the heart of Bosham. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, and the local people of Bosham are always happy to include visitors into their cheerful circle. In summer, the beautiful garden in front of the pub provides sun almost until sunset. Wooden benches and fireworks of flowers overflowing the hanging baskets create a wonderful homely setting. In winter, guests of the Berkeley Arms are warmed by a roaring log fire in the bar and resturant. The interior is light and tastefully simple. Good pub food is served here, with light bite portions for the small appetite. But what makes the Berkeley Arms special is the team who genuinely cares for their guests and makes sure that everybody is happy and enjoying themselves. I can recommend the Berkeley Arms for its warm atmosphere, great food and drink and pleasant company.We are open for food and drinks 7 days a week.
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“What a shame”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We discovered this pub by accident and to be absolutely honest wish we missed it. The pub from the outside looked inviting and cosy and so we thought we would try some pub food as we were new to the area.

The pub menu had a huge selection of food more than what I was expecting. The restaurant side only has about 5/6 tables and is very small but this just adds to to cosy'ness of the experience. The waitress behind the bar was welcoming and well presented however I got the impression that she was new to the role and as such did not appear confident or knowledgeable about the menu items.

I ordered the lasagne that sounded divine on the menu however when it arrived some 10/15 minutes later I was greatly disappointed. It was clear from the bowl in which it arrived that the lasagne had been frozen and had been nuked in a microwave, it was swimming in grease and fat and I had to spoon it out before I could even attempt to eat it. I would have complained however the waitress was busy serving customers at the bar and the other couple in the restaurant.

I was very disappointed by the food and it certainly was not up to standard for the amount it cost - I think we will be giving this place a miss in future and I would not go out of my way to recommend it to anyone else to be honest!

Very disappointed!

• Visited May 2014
Simon T, Public Relations Manager at The Berkeley Arms, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of the Berkeley Arms, we are sorry to hear it wasn't a good visit.
Linda Cole and her team took over on Tuesday the 3rd of June and agree with you that things haven't been good recently, they are working incredibly hard to recitfy the issues and I hope that if you try the Berkeley again in the future you will see major improvments
Linda is nose to the grindstone working on the improvements hence the reason she is not replying to you herself, but she has asked me to convey her apologies and extend a discount of 10% on food on your next visit, should you hopefully try the Berkely again.
If you wish to take advantage of this, please bring proof of identification and ask to speak to Linda when you next come in

Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Terrible food”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Came here for Sunday lunch, the chicken was dry and tasteless, boiled veg was over cooked, potatoes were shrivled and again tasteless and the gravy was weak and lumpy. Wouldn't eat here again unless they had a change of chef, such a shame as it's such a lovely pub and I used to enjoy many meals here a while ago.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Gleesha
Emsworth, Hampshire
“Bad bad and useless”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I took close friends to Bosham today decided to visit a few pubs, we arrived at the Berks the place was filthy, we waited 15 minuets to be served no one turned up. the pub was empty complete waist of time we walked out ...... I am a local

1 Thank Stu_Anita
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Friendly and pleasant staff but so slow with service. Four of us went for Sunday lunch. The restaurant was nowhere near full but it took nearly 30 minutes to get our first (main) course served without vegetables - these came along 10 minutes later. The sauces we requested for the roasts were either unavailable or in very short supply. The meat and vegetables were well cooked and tasty but the roast potatoes had clearly been around for some time and had been overcooked. We opted for ice cream sundaes for desserts. There were good but only two had the cream topping - the kitchen had run out of cream! A disappointing meal and we are unlikely to go there again

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for fourteen a week ago for Mothering Sunday. We were surprised to get in. Now we know why. We arrived to an empty pub early but waited ages to be asked if we would like a drink. Meal order finally taken, completely mixed up. When we got the food it was good. After finishing our main course we had to ask for dessert menus, which the waitress muddled up. Only half of us had a dessert and most were ice-cream. To be fair she was interrupted by another member of staff, which shouldn't have happened. We were there for over three hours and most of this time was spent waiting and trying to amuse two 2yr olds. It was such a shame as we ate here a couple of years ago and it was so good I wrote to the landlord to compliment them on the food and service. Oh I haven't mentioned the blocked ladies toilet, I won't go there!

Visited March 2014