“Not good”
Review of The Sportsman Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amberley
The Sportsman Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Amberley B&B and Inns
Steyning, United Kingdom
“Not good”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Firsty there was only one beer on and even the bar lady could not find out which brewery it was from, but as it was that or Larger or Cider it had to be that and is was not to my liking. Then there was the beef that I ordered. I was not able to eat it as it was so tuff and the Lady who I belive to be the owner took it back with apoliges and asked what eles I would like but as they had just taken off the only other dish that I fancid and my wife was three parts through hers Salmon, which she says was lovely, I declined but then I was offered/told that I would like a warm starter. A few miniuts later I was told that they had just put a Turren in to heat up. Now I have no idea what a Turren is and after eating it I have concluded that I never want another. The lady assured me that I would not be charged for the beef but I was for the Turren. Needless we did not stay for sweets and coffee and we did not see the lady again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Epsom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We weren't disappointed - 5 start restaurant quality food in a candlelit cosy pub setting with a log fire. We had the belly pork followed by banoffee pie. Sensible sized portions and efficient service by friendly staff. Good to see that the pub has the locals supporting the new owners.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

After reading a few negative reviews on here I very nearly did not book this accommodation, I feel the negative reviews were a little over the top.

We are a middle aged couple who crazily decided to cycle the South Downs ( in two days) We choose the Sportsmans Inn ( as many do) as its half way, although as stated nearly didn't after reading some reviews on here.

We arrived muddy tired and very very hungry, with 2 punctures, slit Tyre and to top it off, soaking wet from the recent downpour.
In no time at all our bikes were hosed down, we were showered and sitting downstairs in the bar laughing about the days events.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, the food was excellent and not overpriced (as some reviews say) . The rooms were comfortable, clean and well presented and breakfast was great.
Overall very good experience and so glad we stayed and dined there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chichester
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Used to visit on a regular basis always made welcome, and the food was excellent and always full of locals and a good atmosphere.On our last visit i there were new landlords and the atmosphere was totally different there appeared only to be strangers in the pub and the menu was much smaller and more expensive we were quite surprised that the drink prices had increased quite considerably i hope they have made the right decisions with the winter coming.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed here having decided to take a weekend out and enjoy the South Downs. Amberley is simply an idyllic country village and the Sportsman didn't disappoint. The atmosphere, staff and food were all exceptional. Nothing seemed too much trouble and we were looked after from the moment we arrived.

Our room was lovely, clean and very cosy. Having freshened up we went for dinner and the views from the Sportsman were simply breath taking. Our meal was simply exquisite, some of the best fish and chips I have ever had and a steak cooked to perfection!

I would recommended the Sportsman wholeheartedly to friends and family, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here last week with friends on part of Southdown walk and Just love it. Clean comfy rooms with fantastic views, welcoming hosts, good range of well kept ales, top food and friendly locals, very lively but laid back - well recommended country inn!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at the Sportsman for the first time, whilst attending the racing at Goodwood.
I recommend this Bed and Breakfast because although it is basic, you do get what you pay for; and it is clean, quiet, comfortable, and therefore good value for money. We slept well in their beds and enjoyed breakfast. It is in a part of the South Downs National Park and the countryside around the establishment is stunningly beautiful, and you can have it virtually to yourself. We chose not to eat in the pub as we wanted to check out Arundel, but the dining room was full when we left.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amberley
Chequers Hotel
Findon Manor Hotel
Findon Manor Hotel
#4 of 11 in Worthing
Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel

Been to The Sportsman Inn? Share your experiences!