“An atmospheric place to stay”
Review of Amberley Castle

Amberley Castle
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Amberley Castle has to be one of the most picturesque hotels in the UK. I didnt tell my wife where we were going so she was amazed to sweep up the drive towards the front gates of the castle!. The castle itself is very attractive and the gardens are stunning. If the weather is fine there are some great places to sit outside for an aperitif - with unique vistas. Its a small hotel - 19 rooms - and service is good. There is no swimming pool - which is a pity.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lewes Room. This is set on the first floor within the castle wall itself. The roo...
2  Thank Graybabes

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Perhaps the nicest castle hotel in England which is a tough balance between modern convenience and an authentic historical landmark. The castle grounds are absolutely magnificent.. a step above the rooms in fact. This is an R&C hotel and is extremely expensive. Don't be surprised to see a celebrity or two since it is an easy drive from London. We used it as a hub to visit Canterbury, cliffs of Dover, Warwick and Leeds Castles.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PstarTraveler
Amber1103, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Dear PstarTraveller

Thank you for your delightful review of Amberley castle. I am pleased to read that you appreciated the sympathetic way in which the castle has been transformed into a luxury hotel, we work extremely hard to make sure all our guests leave happy and I am glad to see we have succeeded.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just returned from a night away at Amberley Castle - what a wonderful interesting place! Super staff, food very good and a fabulous four poster bedroom, with re-furbished en-suite. The grounds are beautiful with lots of interesting areas, with small lakes, tree house, and many seats set in strategically placed positions, a small croquet lawn and 18 hole putting green. The one night stay is expensive but worth it for a special occasion. Can also recommend the afternoon tea, maybe should have only ordered for one as there was ample choice and far too much for two people, we, therefore, only ate half!! If you like a different 'venue' then this hotel is a must...

Room Tip: four poster - Chichester room
4  Thank SweetheartSurrey

Dear Sweetheartsurrey

Thank you for your review of Amberley Castle. The team are all very pleased to read your kind words and we are pleased that you managed to enjoy many of the facilities around the castle and grounds.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This was the third time I have visited Amberley Castle and it might well be the last. Service and food were excellent on the previous occasions but this time neither were very good. It would certainly appear that standards are slipping which is a great shame. We have been made to feel welcome and a bit special before but this time we were not really.
Our room was OK. A bit dark and nothing special at all. Had too much furniture for a small room which made it feel crowded. The bed was great though. Very comfortable.
At dinner time we went to one of the three sitting rooms and had drinks and canapés, which were very nice but not as nice as we have had before. We had our order taken promptly and were told our table would be ready in a couple of minutes but then waited around half an hour to be shown up to our table.
The man who brought our rolls and wine looked completely out of place (it looked like he had borrowed his suit from someone else) and was bordering on rude throughout the meal. For example when my wife used the facilities during a break between courses I looked at my phone (was having problems with the hotel wi fi which did not work properly). He told me that I would have to buy the staff a drink because I had my phone out. I treated it as a joke but he persisted. I found it unpleasant. He said something about working there for 13 years.(I can only assume in a non public facing role because he is clearly not suited to it) I said I had not met him before when I had visited and he said well he was entitled to time off now and again.
My own food was very nice but not great. My wife's main course was completely spoilt by the inaccurate description in the menu. She had turbot with couscous and caramelised cauliflower with a cumin dressing. The trouble was that the cauliflower was pickled. As she does not like vinegar this spoilt the whole dish because when the dressing was poured over the vinegar permeated the whole dish . When I pointed this out to a waiter he said that we should have told them she had a food allergy. I explained that it was just taste not an allergy and that had the description been more accurate she would not have chosen the dish, He just said he would speak to the chef. No apology.
Following the main course I had cheese. On previous visits there was a huge selection of cheese available and each one was explained before picking. It was a special part of the meal. . This time the cheeses were pre selected - 6 very small morsels of cheese with a couple of biscuits and a piece of bread. Extremely disappointing.
At breakfast this morning my wife wanted some herbal tea from the selection promised in the menu. The selection turned out to be one berry tea and one lemongrass tea.
The selection of cereals was also very poor. Rice crispies, bran or Weetabix. My own full English was very nice indeed but my wife's scrambled eggs were clearly not cooked fresh and were more like broken up grey omelette. Again a huge disappointment when the dish was only scrambled egg and smoke salmon.
So in all what was supposed to be an anniversary treat fell well short of previous experience. A great shame. I did mention all of this when checking out and the young lady at reception said she would pass my comments on so this review should come as know surprise.
I have also noted that other have had similar experiences lately. Apparently the manager has changed recently and there have been some changes - unfortunately they don't appear to have been for the good.

Room Tip: Ask for the food to be explained before ordering because descriptions are inaccurate.
12  Thank Andrewgp1

Dear AndrewGP1

I am pleased to say that we have now had the opportunity to discuss this feedback with you directly. I am just sorry that we had not spoken prior to this review being posted. Having now clarified a few points, we can now look forward to your return to the castle.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I spend our mini moon at Amberley castle in June 2014. We had an amazing stay, the food was exquisite and the staff were very helpful. I would definitely recommend this place for a short break in the UK.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear bipasha_sarkar10

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I wish to congratulate you on your recent wedding and thank you for choosing Amberley for your "Minimoon".

I do hope we will be welcoming you back on your Anniversary too.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked a superior room for one night for our anniversary. The lovely drive up to the castle sets the precedent and the castle grounds are simply stunning and great fun to explore. There are many nooks and hidden little areas as well as a large pond, treehouse and putting green. The peacocks roaming around were a nice touch too! The service was first class and very friendly and the staff seemed exceptionally well trained and organised. The room is in-keeping with the old fashioned theme you ould expect and was of a good standard with a four poster bed and a whirlpool bath (only fits one!). However I don't think you need to spend too much on the the rooms as I had a look at some of the larger suites and I'm not sure if they would be worth paying the extra for. The castle itself is the star and as it is only a small castle it is impressive but not only welcoming and creates a warm feeling. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we chose to explore nearby Arundel but the breakfast was very tasty so I'm sure the food would have been good although it is quite expensive! Overall this is a fantastic experience for any couple and I would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank 564Simonw2014
Amber1103, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear 564Simonw2014

Thank you for your amazing review, We were pleased to read about your experiences. I am sorry that our spa bath was not big enough to fit two people. Our showers however are plentiful in size in many rooms.

We hope to see you soon

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were here with the family to celebrate my 50th birthday, and it truly was a memorable experience. Great attention to detail, form the beautiful garden to the fresh peaches waiting in the room. The food was excellent too, but above all, the service was exceptional. We felt as if our family was especially welcomed and taken care of (and I suppose this was a true for other guests as well …). Not cheap by any definition, but definitely a place to go to for special occasions or when you just want to feel a little spoilt.
The only complaint was that the wifi (free) could have had a little better coverage. But then you don't go here to surf the internet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Amber1103, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear NiklasJ

Thank you for sharing your views of Amberley Castle, we are glad that you had an excellent time with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Matthew Drinkwater

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amberley
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Norfolk Arms Hotel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
#2 of 7 in Arundel

Been to Amberley Castle? Share your experiences!