“More haste less speed”

The Boat House Brasserie
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Pretty location, good car park, authentic surroundings. Carvery is normally 3 meats and a good selection of vegetables plus desperate menu. The food was good. Service is friendly and cheerful.... But, not enough staff leads to headless chickens! Difficulty in ordering our wine, long wait to get our first drinks, to name a couple of issues.

I hope this was a blip as other meals have been better. I will probably visit again.

1  Thank Booozo

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We were looking forward to enjoying our experience at The Boat House as we had bought a Spirit FM Half Price Dining Voucher so we could try somewhere new. We were greeted by very friendly staff who made us feel welcome and comfortable from the start. We ordered a bottle of House wine which at £16.95 bottle felt was rather expensive as we perused the menu. I decided to go for the Prawn and Crayfish Salad for starters only to be told that they had run out. I then opted for the Devilled Whitebait which was ok but I have had better elsewhere. My Husband opted for Warm Thai Duck Salad which had large lumps of fat attached to the meat still but as it hadn't been fried to go crispy was horrible and slimy and inedible. The noodles had no depth of flavor and he actually said were very bland. The tastiest part of this dish was the Pak Choi.
For our mains I decided on the Breast of Guinea Fowl and again was told that they had run out of this also. I settled on the Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb and the Waiter said as both of my first choices were not available we could have the wine on the house. Good job! My husband opted for the Calves Liver, Bacon and Black Pudding which was a huge disappointment. The Liver was overcooked as was the Black Pudding which was rock hard.and the bacon had been threatened with a bit of heat as it actually was cold when it arrived as were his potatoes and the separate side dish of vegetables. My Rack of Lamb was bland although fairly well cooked but all the herb crust was floating in the sauce so more of a herb mush than crust. My vegetables were warm tho' so nor sure how they managed to serve up one hot and one cold. I have got better tasting lamb from Tesco. My Husband complained about his meal and they said that the plates were hot so how could the food be cold so he told them to feel the food. They agreed it was cold and took his meal away and offered a replacement but by then he had lost his appetite. We also had another problem when ordering our food as the Waiter didn't know the menu and had to keep bending over us to read it. He told us that it was a new menu so we gave him the benefit of the doubt only to discover when we were discussing our bill that he was in fact the Manager! Surely the Manager should be up to speed with the currant menu? Overall a very disappointing experience and we will not be going back nor recommend this to anyone else

1  Thank Hamster4
Reviewed 17 May 2013

There are many enticing items on the menu. The generous portions are freshly and excellently cooked and presented. We have met up with our friends here over a number of years and always been thoroughly pleased with the food and service. The restaurant is attractive and situated in a lovely area. Do visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

The lunch was tasty, of good quality and the service very friendly. I have to write at leat 100 characters!

Reviewed 11 April 2013

We visited this brasserie on a Saturday for lunch and was told only the carvery was available the a la carte options were not.There was limited choice at the carvery with just three roasts and a limited range of vegetables. We started with soup for my wife and garlic mushrooms for me there was only a hint of garlic with the mushrooms which was rather disappointing as I like the taste of garlic. The portion size for the items from the carvery was less than generous but everything was well cooked. We did not have desert but did have coffee. It was for what we ate a little expensive. We were only the second table being served at a time when it should have been a lot more busy. There is something missing to tempt people to return from afar. Restricted menu small portions for the price paid or the fact that during the meal kthe owner was heard having a heated argument with some of the kitchen staff all of which was clearly audible which should not be audible to patrons. Overall a reasonable visit overshadowed by small portions which is not reflected in the pricing