“Excellent good quality hotel”

Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Botley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Excellent good quality hotel”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We booked this stay very last minute as we wanted to take the kids to Peppa PIg world at Paulton theme park.Although the hotel was 16 miles from the park,we wanted a 4 star hotel. We were not disappointed.
Excellent friendly check in,room was immaculate and a lovely touch was the snack- apple,muffin and juice carton for the children( aged 3 and 5 ). There was also a little activity bag and crayons and a money box for them each.kept them busy while we unpacked.
We stayed 2 nights and only ate breakfast so cant comment on the evening meal. Food choice was superb and the cooked breakfast was lovely. The staff were attentive and so friendly,they were wonderful with the children.
We didnt use the sauna or steam but my husband and daughter used the pool and said it was great.
Reception staff were more than happy to heat up bedtime milk for the children and the housekeeping staff had made up their beds and arranged their soft toys for them on their bed in such a way that they thought was hilarious.
We cannot fault anything and had an excellent stay and would definately book this hotel again if we were staying in that area again

Room Tip: The children had z beds in our room.if i was to take the children away again,i would probably look a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Paul-GM, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park and for taking the time to write.

I was pleased to read the team looked after you so well and i will certainly thank the restaurant and housekeeping team personally. We spend many hours training the team in service standards, I know we are lucky to have many excellent staff and it is good to read that they obviously enjoy looking after the families and guests at the hotel as part of the overall experience.

Thank you again for your kind comments.

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
London, England
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Wanting to spend a last minute weekend in the New Forest, we found it hard to find a decently priced hotel that offered spa facilities so we decided to book a second stay at Botley Park as the first visit a few years ago was great. No disappointments with the hotel this time round either - the executive room was clean and nicely decorated with a lovely view of the golf course. Service, as we previously experienced, was first class - very friendly but unobtrusive staff offering cheerful and prompt help throughout the stay. The hotel is in an excellent location for visiting surrounding areas of interest such as the New Forest and Winchester and of course there are the golf facilities, swimming pool and leisure club/spa if you don't feel up to venturing far.

The only disappointment for us this time round was the food, which is why I've only rated it four stars. For the price (£100 for a two course meal with a glass of wine and soft drinks), it was incredibly disappointing. We had breakfast in bed, room service and dinner in the restaurant and all three weren't that great compared with other hotels we've stayed in of the same standard. The breakfast (£17.50 per person if you didn't have it included in a deal) was nothing special and what is promoted as a fine dining experience for the evening meal is actually a rather bland and unmemorable food experience. While the meals looked great, they were all rather tasteless - perhaps as a result of reheating as the waiters kept warning us about the searing plates! We had eaten at Loch Fyne in Winchester earlier that day for half the price and five times the taste so the difference in price and quality really stood out. It may have been an off day for the kitchen, but my advice would be that if you are looking to spend that sort of money on a meal for two, you'd be better eating out at one of the many great restaurants the surrounding area has to offer.

A final tecchie note: while there is free wi-fi in the public areas of the hotel, there is none in the rooms and so you have to borrow a cable and pay a fee. Also televisions aren't flat screen so those with laptops, ipads, etc. aren't able to plug them into the tv to watch films, etc. The hotel staff mentioned that this was a minor irritation for some guests, so thought it might also be worth noting here.

These niggles aside, however, a great hotel - would be more than happy to stay there for a third time (though, unless I knew restaurant was under a new chef, would eat elsewhere!).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sylossus
Paul-GM, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to write about us on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel overall however disapointed to note you did not enjoy the restaurant meal. We are very proud of our food provenance and do only source the best in ingredients from Highland beef to corn fed chicken and as such, we rarely get any negative feedback however your constuctive comments are greatly valued and we will look into your comments further at the next food quality meeting.

I do need to correct one point and that is we we do have wi-fi in all the hotel including the bedrooms and this is free in all public areas including all meeting rooms however is still chargable in the bedrooms. We do however have free wired access in the bedrooms so guests can access free internet anywhere in the hotel.

Your comments are noted about the televisions and we have just had a £50,000 expenditure agreed and 130 new LCD televisions will be installed on the 3rd May 2012 in every bedroom.

I am sure you will see a huge improvement at a future visit and thank your comments.

Bourne End, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We travelled over to the Macdonald's hotel in Botley for an overnight stay and a round of Golf with my wife.
On arrival the reception was extremely welcoming, friendly and informative as to what facilities were available at the hotel.
Diner at the hotel with wonderful food, great wine and again very pleasant staff. A special mention to the French waiter and the Bulgarian waitress. Nothing was too much trouble and food arrived wonderfully presented.
The room was also comfortable.
Next morning at breakfast and the same staff with the same positive happy attitude. A very different experience to many other hotels I have stayed in.
Golf was great, cloudy day but dry. The 19th was also comfortable.
If I had to complain about anything then the sandwiches we ordered at the 19th seemed very slow in getting to us. After a round of golf the food was very welcome.
Overall a good stay, good food but what was wonderful was the staff and their very positive attitude.
So very different from a stay at another location in Berkshire.

Room Tip: Just ask, our room was good comfortable and clean.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alan r
Thank you for your review on Trip advisor.

I will pass on your kind comments to the restaurant team and I am pleased to note your ejoyed our food, service and golf.

I do hope that you revisit us in the summer as the golf course is truely stunning that time of year.

Wakefield
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This is a good quality hotel in an excellent location. The rooms are clean and tidy. The swimming pool and fitness facilities are very good, and the gym is particularly well equipped, and not just with aerobic machines. The sauna and steam room were about to be replaced when I stayed there. I ate just the once in the restaurant and had their 'signature' grass-fed beef which was excellent. I thought £15 for breakfast was very steep and so didn't have any.
Can't comment on the golf course as I don't play, but managed a good 6Km run through the course and out on to country lanes and footpaths. As the hotel was build around 20 years ago, it's getting a little bit tired around the edges. The internet connection in the rooms was via cable (can be borrowed from the front desk) which I much prefer to WLAN. It wasn't very fast, but according to the business I visited, this is a particular problem in this locality.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Charles B
Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

Thank you for your kind comments and it was good to read you enjoyed the facilities and the service in the hotel.

We do have an excellent and free WiFi service in all public areas and conference rooms however this is chargeable in the bedrooms however you can take advantage of our cabled service in the rooms which is also complimentory with a small refundable deposit for the cable.

I would like to say that we are very proud of our food provenance in Macdonald Hotels and we only buy the best quality in food including corn fed chicken, Scottish Beef, Highland Lamb, free range eggs to top quality sausages. This quality does come at a price, however we do feel that the quality is very worth the price charged and the breakfast offering is very extensive. I do hope at another visit you get to experience this as I am very confident you would find this a very enjoyable meal.

Once again thank you for your valued feedback.

Ruislip, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We have visited a few Macdonald hotels now, some of which had made me think twice about using the chain again (Lymington springs to mind!), but Botley Park was first class. I believe we had a standard room, but it felt like a superior!The Staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to be more helpful and polite, the restaurant manager knew exactly what the different deals our party of 4 were on, and the food quality was superb. I was told by the ladies in the party that the spa facilities were very good as well, and were impressed that they were intending to refurbish them shortly after your visit. Indeed, the golf course was in very good condition (although the 18th hole pond now has the pleasure of a substantial amount of my golf balls!).
All in all, a wonderful break, and we were talking about visiting again very soon, on hopefully similar deals.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank leecat82
Thank you for your comments and for choosing to stay at the Botley Park Hotel.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and you colleagues to the hotel and the team were very pleased to hear of your feedback. I understand however we do have a few fish with sore heads having unsuccessfully dodged some of your golf balls and they are not as keen to welcome you back.

I hope you make your return visit soon and the team have asked that I pass on thier gratitude for your time in writing your review.

southampton
Reviewed 19 March 2012

A friend and I visited for a spa day and had a lovely relaxing time.
On arrival we were shown around the facilities by one of the beauty therapists, and then had a nice cup of complimentary tea in the bar area. We were provided with lovely fluffy robes, slippers and towels were provided.
The changing facilities were very good - with separate areas for wet and dry activities, lockers with a pin code, and nice hot showers. Decided to try out the gym before relaxing. Good size gym with the latest machines - had the TV and internet on them - very helpful for taking your mind off the workout. If you want your own music there is an ipod docking station on them.
We had a light lunch which was very nice and the service was good.
After that we tried out the swimming pool. Its a nice clean area with a few loungers around the edge. Bit unusual as there is no natural light in there. The swimming pool is 15 m long, with a sauna and steam room by the side.
My treatment was an hours facial. The products were Decleor - which smell lovely - and I had one of the nicest facials I've ever had - thanks to Holly the beauty therapist.
The whole day was very relaxing and enjoyable - thanks to the excellent facilities, and the friendly and welcoming staff. It was also excellent value too as we paid £59 each.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank clare b
Thank you for staying with us at the Botley Park Hotel, Golf and Spa.

It was a pleasure to read that you found the staff and service at the levels mentioned and I will certainly speak the spa team personally following your feedback.

We have just invested over £100,000 in a new gym, sauna and steam room and I am pleased to enjoyed the overall facilities and I look forward to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Guernsey
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have stayed at the Macdonald Botley Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club for approximately the past 16 years and arranged golf tournaments here and used the hotel for conferences and as a base for going to the cricket at the Rose Bowl. I have not stayed in the past year but was at a Dinner & Dance at the hotel last Friday and decided to stay.

We live in Guernsey but have a house in Southampton but decided to stay at the hotel so we could relax and have a drink.

Previously I have always stayed in an Executive Room but decided on the more expensive Feature Room as these were advertised as new and with better facilities than the Executive Rooms.

Firstly the good things. The welcome was very good and efficient and the reception area was bright, warm and as I had always remembered it although it was festooned with advertising posters and pamphlets for weddings at the hotel which I found unnecessary. What is a beatiful reception area is ruined by so much corporate advertising.

The breakfast was excellent with tasty food on hot plates and a very impressive display of fruit, cereal, meats and cheeses. I did ask for two poached and only got one but the one I did get was well cooked and very tatsy. Coffee was good and strong.

The Dinner & Dance was very well organised and the food and service from the hotel exceptional.

We had to walk past the bar area several times during the day collecting our luggage from the car and also before and after a long walk. I noticed that several tables were covered in dirty food dishes and afternoon tea plates and cups as well as beer glasses. Over a period of at least two hours these were not cleared away and the tables cleaned even though several staff walked past the mess numerous times.

Unfortunately the Feature Room lacked any features. It had no character, was bland and poorly furnished.. Almost as if the hotel decided to build a number of new rooms and then ran out of money to furnish the rooms.

The Feature Rooms are in a different area of the hotel from where I have previously stayed. We were not offered help with our bags by reception. Our room was two floors up and there is no lift so we had to lug heavy luggage up two flights of stairs.

The corridors leading to the Feature Rooms are painted a strange off white and have no pictures on the walls to break the monotony. Seemed more like a dirty hospital than the luxury wing iof a hotel. The carpets needed vacuuming and even the next day after the cleaners had vacuumed communial areas there was still rubbish on the carpets.

Our room, being a Feature Room, was meant to overlook the golf course which it did but was directly above the 19th hole outside seating so if the window was open we got all the smoke from the golfers smoking outside.

The room was very clean.

The room itself was very sparsely decorated. The bed had no valance and the side of the bed had shoe scuffs on it and other dirty marks. The bedding was rather cheap, thin and nasty BUT we did get a good nights sleep.

The TV was much too small for the room and faced the bed rather than the lounge area.

There were three mismatched pictures on the wall all in different frames, different sizes and different colours. There were three chairs in the room and a foot stool. They were all covered in different materials ( Leather, suede, cloth etc) and all in very different colours and patterns. The walls were painted the same off white as the corridors and looked dirty. Someone should fire the interior designer!

The Feature Room advertises that it comes with a free bottle of wine and choclates. It is actually half a bottle of mediocre wine and some chocolates that tasted as if they had been hanging around for some months.

The bathrobes were threadbare and had seen better days.

The lighting in the room was again an array of different lamps none matching and there was no reading lamp on a very small desk so impossible to do any work.

The Bathroom was excellent. Large with seperate bath and shower. The shower was double size and very good. However there was only one towel in the room and we had to ask reception for more towels.

Overall I was dissapointed by the Feature Room after its big build up on the hotel website. I did not think it was value for money and was surprised at how poorly it had been decorated and fitted out.

We will return to the hotel but in future will stay in the cheaper and better decorated Executive Rooms.

Room Tip: Choose an Executive Room rather than the new Feature Double rooms as the Executive Rooms are cheaper...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GGGSarnia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Grand Harbour Hotel
Novotel Southampton
#9 of 24 in Southampton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,638 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Southampton

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!