“Very disappointed”

Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Botley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I recently stayed here with a friend and have to say was very disappointed expected a lot more from this hotel considering it is a 4 star hotel. The room was tired and dated the curtains had holes in, shower screen had lime scale on it and room was very small considering it was an executive twin room costing £164 for one nights stay. We ordered room service as a treat for breakfast it was late had items missing and to be honest wouldn't say it was particularly nice either. 5 minutes later after receiving breakfast had a knock on the door from staff at the hotel explaining we had to pay for breakfast there and then although the previous day reception staff had said to us we can pay on check out. I found this very off putting and made us feel untrustworthy . All in all I would not stay here again and really don’t think its worth the money. I have stayed in 2 star hotels with better quality rooms and breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank lil-miss-sunshine123
Ben B, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear lil-miss-sunshine123,

I am dissapointed to read your review and sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered. From our other reviews you can see this is most unusual and not reflective of our normal standards. I have shared the feedback with the team and we will certainly investigate the bedroom issues you mention.
I hope this has not deterred you from returning and please contact me in advance should you choose to coem back.
Ben Bridgeman

Write a ReviewReviews (2,263)

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have to be honest and say that I only really ended up here because I couldn't find any space in a central Southampton hotel, due to a combination of trade fairs and cruise ship departures taking over all available bed space.

So staying at what is essentially a golfing hotel was not really my choice. Even so, I'm rather glad I did. The location is quiet, rural and comfortable. The room was spacious, well appointed and maintained to a high standard.

What made the place for me was, as usual for me, the staff. Sam and his team in the restaurant in the evenings were attentive and friendly.

If I've got any reservations, however (you'll excuse the pun), it is with the breakfast service. I stayed here for five nights while teaching in Southampton,and have to say that I only found breakfast to be a relaxing experience when it was delivered "buffet style". At other times, I felt like no sooner had I been shown to a table than I was being asked to order cooked food. I hadn't even sat down by this point, you understand. On one occasion, my cooked breakfast arrived before I had finished cereal. Not to worry - the waiting staff's solution was to determine that I must have finished anyway, and removed my plate without even asking.

Food wise, if this place can fix the delivery of the breakfast service, moving from a military assault to a relaxed ambiance, they have the makings of a great product. As it is, it just misses the mark for me.

However, in staff terms, Phil in the bar, Sam in the restaurant, Robert and the other members of the front desk team - they were helpful, genuinely friendly and a real asset to the place. Well done to them all.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Roy D,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with as, although fully appreciate the feedback regarding the breakfast, this has been shared with the team. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here for a business trip and used some of the seminar rooms.

All the staff I dealt with were extremely helpful, friendly and polite. For example, I was watching tv in my room and it came up with an error message. I phoned reception and 10 minutes later, 2 men arrived with a brand new tv.

The food was of a high standard. Ordered room service and chicken curry was excellent. Also ate in the bar and the chocolate brownie was probably the best one I have ever tasted.

I used the swimming pool which was very quiet on the day I went there. Yes agree showers look like they need a really good clean.

Would also prefer a duvet on my bed rather than blankets. Stayed in room 329 which overlooked the start of the golf course.

Would recommend for a work or leisure stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Ben B, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear MadmazChesire,

Thank you for passing on such lovely feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you managed to sample our fantastic facilities. We have the lovely advantage of rooms with views over our stunning golf course, which makes getting out of bed so much nicer! I will pass your comments to our leisure club manager about the showers and ensure they are addressed.
I hope that we can welcome you back again soon?

Reviewed 20 May 2012

This was a free weekend as a result of a poor experience at another Macdonald hotel. The difference was massive. From the friendly receptionist to the restaurant staff, nothing was too much trouble. Service was attentive, efficient and engaging. Dinner and breakfast in the restaurant were both excellent and the only criticism we had was the breakfast delivered to the room was late and on the cold side.

Room Tip: We were in 609 which was fine although not much of a view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ptee
Ben B, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear Ptee,

Thank you for passing on such a lovely review following your recent stay with us at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you back again soon? I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.
I apologise about the breakfast and will make sure the kitchen and room service team are aware of the issue.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

I organised a 2night/3day stay for a golf weekend for 24 golfers for the weekend just gone and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

My point of contact throughout the planning and organising was Jodie Walker who I have to say was superb. I lost count of the amount of e-mails and questions I sent her. She was very professional throughout and was able to assist us and delivered everything that was promised, including the weather!

The golf manager Simon Blanshard was my point of contact for the golfing side. He too was very helpful and accomodating. His staff during the weekend (apologies but I didn't get their name) were also great and made sure we had the scorecards and nearest pin/longest drive markers ready and made up.

And finally Tito, our waiter/food organiser was brilliant. Can't praise him enough. He was very calm, organised and even when we were running a little late for dinner, he made sure that this wasn't a problem and dinner was served when we were ready. Spot on.

Quality hotel, food and golf. I definitely recommend a golf weekend here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Tristan M,

Thank you for passing on your feedback following your recent event with us, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward to inviting you back again soon. I will ensure this is shared with the team.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Visited this Hotel for my birthday on 8th/9th May. We booked an Executive room overlooking the golf course, which was very clean, quiet and reasonably spacious, with dressing gowns, slippers, a bottle of red wine and chocolates.
The staff were excellent, all greeting you when passing by.
The course was in good condition considering all the rain we have had, not too difficult for the average golfer.
The drinks in the bars were very expensive (£12.00 for a single brandy).
The food both at breakfast and evening meals were excellent, but unfortunately, the wait for the evening meal was exceptionally long (about 1 hour from starter to main couse). However, when mentioning this to Sam, the Head Waiter, he made sure we had a free bottle of wine on the 2nd night plus coffee and the service that night was much better. We had no problem with the staff and service at breakfast who were extremely efficient.
All things considered we had a good time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul-GM, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear ChelmsfordMargo,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your views, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and managed to get out on the course despite the rain! I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General manager

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Chose this hotel for a three night stay because of it's ease of access to Southampton, Portsmouth and the New Forest , all of which we visited and enjoyed.
Hotel not the most architecturally attractive exterior but inside typical leisure resort and spa but with above average facilities including squash, gym, pool and what appears a great golf course.
The reception was welcoming, the bedroom overlooking the golf course comfortable and well appointed. We dined in the main restaurant each night and enjoyed the wide ranging menu with daily specials with excellent service throughout. The breakfasts were great and again service excellent.
It was an interesting stay as the hotel caters for all tastes and offers excellent facilities for children yet was quiet.
The staff were all attentive and helpful and a credit to the management.
We are not great favourites of the resort type of hotel but found this ideal for our needs to see this area of Hampshire.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the views over the golf course.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EnglandD&B
Paul-GM, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased you found the hotel to your liking and I will pass on your feedback to the teams and thank you for taking the time to comment.

As you mentioned the hotel does cater for many different types of guest and needs from golf, family, corporate, leisure to conferences guests and we are pleased to have the facilities to be able to do so. I hope that you choose to visit us again in the near future and thank you again for your comments.

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
Jurys Inn Southampton
Jurys Inn Southampton
#7 of 26 in Southampton

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!