Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa
US$178
US$76
US$123
US$119
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$79
US$119
US$95
US$112
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
New Place Hotel(Shirrell Heath)
US$155
US$96
Priceline
Premier Inn Fareham Hotel(Fareham)(Great Value!)
B+B Wickham(Wickham)
US$91
US$84
US$130
US$100
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$82
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
2,317 results
All reviewsgolf coursepeppa pigsauna and steam roomswimming poolnice hotelleisure facilitiesmain restaurantcooked breakfastenjoyable staybooked this hotela lovely stayplenty of parkingan overnight staybreakfast was excellentone night stayfeature roomnew forest
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We booked this hotel upon recommendation from our neighbours, it was a very good choice, we could not fault the food and the room which we had, the hotel was quite full due to the P&O special event of which our selves were sailing on one of the ships the following day, we were both very happy with service and quality of food, our evening meal was excellent and the package value for the overnight stay including the evening meal and breakfast was very good value. The weather let us down to explore the hotel more fully.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Dear Vincent186338,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in particular the food you experienced along with the service and our lovely bedrooms. We are a great location for many guests going on cruises allowing for free on site parking and a superb resort hotel to get your holiday started on the right foot. I hope we can welcome you back again soon and I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here for our daughter's wedding. The buildings themselves are not very inspiring and inside its modern style lacks character although rooms are fine for what they are - standard "corporate" fayre. There is plenty of car parking though and it's pretty well signposted from nearby Hedge End.

When we arrived at reception they had us down for the wrong days and wrong number - despite ringing a couple of days earlier to confirm details! Thankfully we had no problems getting what we wanted and being the bride's parents were were 'upgraded'.

Our daughter's Wedding Planner changed three times over 12 months and this lack of continuity was unfortunate. Daughter's suite was a good size and well-equipped.

The wedding itself was fine and no real hiccups, although there weren't enough chairs in the ceremony suite and it felt a little cramped. The music was via a small, domestic CD player and speakers - wholly insufficient for purpose.

The meal (80 covers) was good, hot and timely; however groom commented that the food was not exactly as they'd had at the tasting (although it fitted the same description). Hard, I appreciate, but nonetheless....

Couple of other gripes - pool was shut for 'swimming lessons' just when the majority of guests arrived and were looking for a dip. Food and drinks very expensive. At the wedding bar we were charged £8 for a gin & tonic.

There are two bars serving food - The main Gallery Bar and the Golf Bar. We found the Gallery Bar dark and lacking in atmosphere - its food is also more expensive than the Golfer's bar (for same thing). Golf bar also has better selection, including bacon sarnies etc.

We made sure we ate out as a family at a local pub - the Farmer's Market - recommended.

Some friends did eat in restaurant however and said the meal and wine were good, and good value.

We did play golf a couple of times and this was good with special rates for guests; buggy only £26 which was appreciate with a post wedding hangover!

Overall it was good but we were left with the feeling that we'd had to do too much of the organising and that the hotel did just about the minimum - we seemed to be just 'another do'.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear IanSimpson,

Thank you for passing on your feedback following your daughters wedding with us, I am pleased to hear that overall you all enjoyed the day and the team delivered a great wedding. I appreciate there was a few hicups and I will certainly ensure the team are aware and learn from that.
I hope that we can welcoem you back again soon, maybe for a less formal occasion, simply come and relax?

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Needs a referb. poor value for money small adverage rooms. spa very basic only good thing was staff who were very professional

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We have just returned from a weekend at Macdonalds Botley Park and I was so disappointed that I had to write my review immediately.

Firstly, we arrived early and approached reception to find out where to wait etc, we were informed that our rooms were ready so were pleased to put our luggage away so soon. However the 'Executive rooms' were, as stated by previous reviews, just normal rooms with chocolates and wine, plus no golfing green view as stated in the description. When we approached reception we too felt they were rolling their eyes and not very helpful. We were told that, as we had checked in early, that maybe our chocs and wine had been missed - this was not our fault, we had not asked for the room early, it was offered, so if it was not ready then we would have happily waited. I also complained about the 'view' and we were moved to a slightly better room. But the receptionist was keen to inform us that not all of these rooms have the view - to which I replied that they should not state that on their website then!

Secondly, the spa. We had booked treatments for our stay and the manager of the beauty department (I should have taken her name!) was great. She could not do enough for you, she was polite and she was professional - an experience which we could not say for most of the other staff member, they could learn a lot from her. However, the spa left a lot to be desired. The pool is small, anymore than 6 and it is overcrowded, and is in need of a refurbishment. Do not get me started on the lockers! I have been on many spa days/weekends and just felt that it left a lot to be desired. I did not feel comfortable in my robe as, to get back to the room, we had to walk past reception and round past the bar and restaurant to get to our room. There is a back way, however this room was constantly reserved for other events so we could not go through.

The restaurant was ok. The staff at each of our meals, breakfast and dinner, were helpful polite and rather funny. The food was not too bad, and the manager was very accommodating when I had informed him that the online menu was different to what was on offer and, as a vegetarian, I did not have a great deal of choice on offer. He was more than happy to suggest alternatives, which was refreshing. I agree that breakfast is a bit rushed, and I understand that it is a busy time, but we too were asked what hot breakfast we wanted - before we had even sat down, let alone looked at the menu!

We went into Botley for the evening for some entertainment and music. When we returned we sat in the bar to have a few drinks. The bar is ridiculously overpriced. £38 for four drinks... £4.65 for a cup of HERBAL TEA!!! But that same drink is free in the spa :) If I am paying this much for drinks then I will also expect a great service too, but we waited, on three separate occasions in the same night, nearly 10 minutes for a member of staff to go to the bar to serve us. When we complained we, again, felt like an inconvenience to them. There was no music or 'life' in the bar at all - only miserable staff. Our evening was only rescued by a group of golfing men, one of whom, started playing the piano. He played 'music of the night' incredibly - considering the amount of alcohol he had consumed :)

Further to these points we had other issues too - only one bath sheet in the room, staff being unhelpful and sullen, told that we could not have extra treatments when the manager said that she could have fitted us in (why they do not want our money is beyond me!), and overpriced tea/coffee and drinks.

The only really good point to this hotel is the golfing green. My husband said that this was one of the best that he has played on. It is just such a shame that the rest of the hotel is average at best. It does not have the 'wow' factor from the outside, and if only the staff would stop passing the buck on the problems encountered then my review may have been brought up a few more green circles.

I, certainly, would not go back to Botley park, and unfortunately it has put me off the chain of hotels. There is so much competition for these weekends, all offering similar deals, and, in my experience, people go back for the service they receive - and I shall certainly not be going back for more of that!

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a better room - just take your own box of Roses and a bottle of Pinot :)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear drack77,

I am sorry to read of your disatisfaction following your recent stay with us, our exectutive rooms benefit from either a golf or tennis court view. I am pleased to hear of the service you received in our spa, we have made some significant changes in there recently and Clare our head therapist is a credit to the hotel.
I am pleased to hear that your experience in our restaurant and on our golf course was to your satisfaction, I will ensure this is shared with those teams.
I apologise for the service you received in our bar, this is most unusual and not reflective of our normal standards, I will ensure this is investigated further. Our prices are set in line with the market and by our central office.
I have to say I am somewhat surprised to hear the comments relating to the staff, we pride ourselves on delivering consistent quality service and most of all, we emply and train great team members and we receive a lot of favourable comments about them. i will certainly make all the team aware and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Please accept my sincere apologies again and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future?

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We booked the Macdonald Hotel as part of a weekend break with Peppa Pig World for our son's 3rd Birthday, we arrived at the hotel on the Saturday afternoon and on first impressions the hotel was very nice, the rooms were a bit dated but functional. It was obvious on our arrival that a wedding was taking place at the hotel along with what looked like two hen parties, but we didn't really think too much of it. We went out for dinner at a local pub and returned to put our son to bed at around 7.30pm, we got to our room and as we were putting our son to bed the music started, our room was located not far from the function suite that was hosting the wedding so we heard everything, we could hear it so clearly, we tried to get some sleep but the noise was just too loud for us and our little boy. At around 10pm i ventured down to reception to explain how noisy our room was and was met with a very nervous receptionist who had obviously had to deal with a few of these complaints already. I was offered no apology but a suggestion that if the wind changed perhaps it wouldnt be so loud. This music went on until 11.45pm and then the real fun started, until around 2.30pm we had to deal with the fall out of the very drunk guests, the noise of all these drunk guests in the car park and the corridors seemed to go on forever.

The following day was my sons actual birthday and we had planned to spend the day at Peppa Pig world and meet up with our friends in the afternoon, we were all so tired and our little boy was just too miserable and exhausted that we only managed a few hours and had to return to the hotel to try and get some sleep that afternoon. Anyone who has young kids knows that when they are up all night the following day is never pleasant so with us all lacking a nights sleep by Monday we just gave up and went home. On checkout i was still offered no apology and was assured the General Manager would call me to discuss what had happened but its been four days and i have heard nothing, the wedding was obviously the priority and they didn't seem concerned at all that we were not having a nice time.

Room Tip: If you have to go to this hotel, choose a room as far away from the reception area as possible, especially if you are going at the weekend.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah-Jane S

Dear Sarah-Jane S,

I am sorry to hear that your experience whilst staying with us recently was not up to our usual standard, as a resort hotel we often have many events going on, making it a lively busy hotel, however the layout lends itself to little overlap or disturbance usually to other areas of the hotel. If I can respectfully ask you to contact me at the hotel, I would be interested to speak with you further.
I can assure you your experience is not reflective of our usual high standard of customer service.
Please accept my sincere apologies once more and I look forward to hopefully speaking with you soon?