“Fantastic family stay with our 2 under 5s! Made our weekend!!”

Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Botley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chislehurst, United Kingdom
“Fantastic family stay with our 2 under 5s! Made our weekend!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Fantastic from start to finish! We were down from Kent visiting Peppa Pig World and were made to feel so welcome! It's a lovely hotel which could seem as though children may not be welcome but they are, 100%!! There was even a childrens buffet on the Saturday evening at which our 13 month old ate for free. They are totally geared up for families visiting PP World as is evident from the welcome the children receive. A special welcome pack even for baby and Peppa pig room keys. Our 4 year old was impressed!
Throughout our stay we were made to feel so at home and nothing was too much trouble.

We didn't feel awkward at all using the pool as you might at some other similar hotels. The staff were all so lovely to our boys and indeed all of the guests.

The food was lovely and breakfast was a real treat!

One other thing that impressed me. Our eldest spilt some water on his bed on the first morning so I hung the please service our room sign on our door. The sheets were changed and all beds made etc by the time we returned from breakfast! Fabulous service!

If you are visiting PP World this hotel is a must! It's a 20 min drive to the park from there but that's part of what makes it so nice. It's nice to escape the crowds into the lovely surroundings. It didn't come up as available on the Paultons website but a quick phone call and
we had booked a family room for the dates we wanted (weekend before half term) and at a great price with the 2 for 1 park days deal.

We had a lovely room, 401 with a lovely big bed for us, a single for our eldest and cot for baby and we still had plenty of space. Perfect!

Another plus water in the room is FREE as is wifi although I did have to keep logging in. But free! A real rarity it seems these days.

We would love to stay again even if we don't make it back to PP World.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Fay P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Polish first
Cheltenham, England.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have nothing much to write about this place, the raiting reflects what you you get. A 5 rating in my opinion would have to be a hotel which sets itself above others in the same league this hotel doesn't it meets.

This hotel did what I needed it to do at a price I was willing to pay. I didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, however, breakfast was good. The gym was modern although no windows but the rooms are just starting to show age, well mine did in the bathroom.

Would I use it again, yes because there isn't much choice but also it's fine, it just doesn't exceed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Firstly the hotel looks a bit Crossroads motel from the outside, but inside it's really quite nice and well laid out. As it's a spa there are loads of fitness things to do there, including a pool you can see in reception.
There aren't any lifts so if you have mobility issues then ask for ground floor. Also there are some decent sized curbs in the carpark so careful of those too.
Check in was quick and easy. Bit of a trek to room, down a couple of alleyways and up some stairs. But the room was a great size. Bed very comfy. Big tv and a fridge, which was a nice surprise. Shower and bathroom were clean and spacious. There was a weird noise on and off all night which did disturb sleep a bit.
Didn't eat dinner but breakfast was good. Couple of problems, when we went to get a juice refill they cleared our table with the rest of our breakfast on it. Brought coffee when we ordered tea. And were generally a bit slow. But what we did have was nice and there was good choice.
Generally it was pretty good, would stay again.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend upstairs if you aren't very mobile - no lift.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Jason N, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback I will indeed pass on your comments to the team and review the areas you highlighted for improvement
London, UK
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Putting the restaurant to one side, the service has been ok but they don't always appreciate that children have different requirements.

Now the restaurant. First they didn't bother to set us up properly. Then as it was late I asked for the kids meals,my starter and if possible my wife's main as soon as possible. By the way, the kids menus are bog standard.

The drinks never came so I had to ask again. In spite of it being late, the kids food took quite a while and you guessed it,I had to then wait for my starter and my wife had nothing (not even a bread roll as they didn't bother to give us any - £25 for two courses and no bread!).

When my starter arrived I realised that the food was made for French blue tits as it was very pretentious but wouldn't even wet the appetite of a small bird. About 45 mins later the mains came and again, they were presented well but in terms of taste nothing a reasonable gastro pub couldn't serve up in about a third of the time. They also didn't bother to give me any cutlery to eat it, so my wife had to go and ask.

Then one of the desserts for the children was not as requested, which they fixed whilst my wife waiting about 20 mins for a bit of ice cream. No spoon given so she had to ask and the waiter just grabbed a soup spoon from a side counter not knowing where it had been or why it was there and it was totally inadequate. As he was French (and I know some French) I told him that it was a soup spoon and she needs a dessert spoon, followed by I'm not stupid. He gave a half grin to say yeah I know, you got me and he disappeared. Someone else then brought the correct spoon.

Small pretentious food but ok, however the service surrounding the food was poor. It might be better if you're a big group of businessmen or arrive as soon as the restaurant opens. Spoilt a reasonable stay.

• Stayed October 2013
We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we didn’t meet your expectations. We do pride ourselves on being child friendly and dining is an important part of the experience. I will follow up your comments with my operations team.
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked in for a relaxing weekend and for the most part succeeded. The staff are very welcoming both in reception and in the dining room, with knowledgeable members. The food is excellent, albeit a limited choice, which is quite understandable in view of the amount of people to cater for. There were two weddings on over the weekend we stayed. One problem is that there is not a residents lounge to retire to - the bar can be quite noisy when the hotel is full, so you may not wish to stay in there after your evening meal, but there is nowhere else other than your room. The pool in the spa is quite small and unfortunately one time when I was in there 3 children were taking up most of the pool, making a lot of noise and jumping in (despite the notices) and the mother took exception when I asked them to respect other users. I could even hear them when I was trying to relax in the sauna.
The bed in the room was quite creaky and well used (we rolled together in the middle!) and not king sized, despite being an executive room but beautiful linen and comfortable otherwise. Chocolates and wine very welcome, as was the tea tray - we requested fresh milk and that came very quickly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We joined our friends for a catch up weekend. We found the staff very friendly but found some things quite disappointing. There were weddings on but this did not interfere with the weekend, but sadly the folders who were staying on the Saturday night did. Our rooms were near where they were all staying which made it quite noisy, especially early hours when one of them banged into our room door. Their club bags, trolleys and bags blocked up the corridor when we went back to our room while they ran around sorting and changing their rooms.

The food was good, and really enjoyed the evening meal.

Sadly our bill was completely wrong and on checking we were charged twice for some items. We asked the receptionist to check it for us while we ate breakfast. When we went back to see what had happened we were told the Manager said it was correct. The receptionist kindly went through it again with us, it was nearly £60 over! I can't believe he did not believe us or not prepared to talk with Us about this. Macdonalds you need to sort this out. We charged to the room but were not given any receipts, which made it difficult to check and prove in this case. What also makes it difficult, if your bill for the evening is e.g. £69.50, that amount will not appear on your bill, they split it out making it even more difficult to check.

What was also quite frustrating, after making the booking I was called by Macdonalds to offer us a special rate meal at £20 per person, I agreed this was a great deal and booked the table with them for 7.30. When we arrived there was no table booked, as head office do not contact the hotel and book this as I thought. Luckily there was a table available.

On a good note, the rooms are lovely and clean and the biscuits always replenished.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
fareham
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Following my anniversary last year, awesome function in March this year and booking a further function for next year, the Macdonald Botley Park Hotel Golf and Country Club was the obvious choice for my anniversary this year.

So here are the good and bad bits!!

Good bits:

Check in:
Was slick, staff very efficient, welcoming and freindly.

Room:
Was spacious, beautiful and spotlessly clean, linen in use of a very high quality. The shortbread on the tea tray something similar you would expect from the like of Fortnum and masons (yes I have and do frequent F & M)!! It is also nice to have a cup and saucer, not a tacky mug. All round very tasteful, and agreeable! The bed was enormous, and so, so comfortable!!

Spa facilities:
Absolutely spotless, and again staff very helpful and obliging.

Winchester Restaurant:
Awesome, very experienced waiting staff, very knowledgeable in relation to the dishes being offered on the menu. Menu holds something for every palate. Service was exceptional, being very welcoming, but not intruding, although remaining attentive at all points. Very tastefully decorated. A clearly well thought out menu, which every course was truly delicious, and a great experience all round. I dined on vegetable broth, followed by chicken with a dessert of crème brule. My wife Black pudding with caramelised apple, Lamb and dessert of a deconstructed tart with salted chocolate sorbet. It was all delicious, cooked to perfection , served with finesse.

Breakfast:
Great continental choice and a first class, well presented delicious cooked breakfast

This hotel was a country mile away from the chain hotels that we have recently stayed in. All the staff were welcoming, obliging and nothing appeared to be too much trouble.

The Bad Bit:

I only booked one night, and could not afford to take any further time from work!

However my wife and I are planning some work Christmas parties for this year, and perhaps celebrating new years eve here too. Next anniversary will be a two night break for sure.

All the staff here are a credit to the Macdonald group, this hotel is exceptional with service, style and ambiance that is missing from so many similar hotels.

Thank you to all the team who made our anniversary so special. You should all be very proud of the service you are providing. I will make no apology for repeating the words, quality, style, welcoming etc. As these words truly reflect this hotel. thank you again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andiparker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Hilton at The Ageas Bowl
Solent Hotel & Spa
Solent Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Whiteley
DoubleTree by Hilton Southampton

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!