“Perfect stopover”

Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Botley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I read about this hotel after reading reviews of Peppa Pig World and seeing a comment about it being very good and only about 15 mins away.

From the booking process I was very impressed, we got an excellent deal and the person I booked with was very good.

The hotel is easy to find, there is plenty of parking, it has a very large car park - You wouldn't need to worry about getting back at night and struggling to park.

Check-in was very efficient and friendly. The lady on reception was happy to recommend pubs in the local area for us as we told her we'd be eating out.

Our room was lovely, exceptionally clean and nice and spacious. We had our 3 year old Daughter with us and they'd made up a little bed for her. Bathroom spotlessly clean, lovely powerful shower over the bath. Nice comfortable bed and something we've never had before ... a fridge in the room! Brilliant idea.

Good leisure facilities, small pool, sauna and steam room etc which we used in the afternoon. They also run classes such as Zumba etc at the hotel.

Breakfast very good, again very slickly run with friendly and efficient staff. There was a lovely selection of fruit, meats and cheeses. Also juices and cereals etc. Good cooked breakfast, I had the vegetarian option.

Express check-out too which was a good idea.

Only slight niggles, just little things which I certainly wouldn't mark down for but...

Rooms were very hot to the point where it was quite uncomfortable during the night.
I had no mobile reception during the whole stay (Orange). There was an option to pick up the WiFi but it seemed to involve registration which was a bit of a pain. Saying that, the whole area seemed to have quite bad reception.
Sauna and steam room could have done with being hotter and also the lockers in the changing rooms were an absolute pain and I had to ask another guest to help me.

Just little niggles, overall a really enjoyable stay and we'd definitely return if we went to Peppa Pig World again (only 15 minutes or so away). Very good hotel without being stuffy or pretentious. Also found them to be child friendly and staff made an effort to speak to our Daughter.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for your comments we look forward to welcoming you back to Botley park in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Whilst the hotel was nice I object to a 12% sevice charge in a hotel restaurant where they couldn't even get the right starter dish and there was only my collaeugue and I. I also had to wait 35 minutes for my breakfast which caused me problems as I was on business and had meetings to get to. The restaurant food was pretentious and I would suggest inappropriate for families. There was also little choice, what I did order was a compromise. The drinks were also horrendously expensive £16 for one Jack Daniels and Coke and a Southern Comfort. I won't be staying there again in a hurry!

Room Tip: From what I could gather all the rooms were good, that wasn't the problem
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Had a one night stay with spa treatments booked for afternoon on day of arrival. Able to use facilities in morning before room was ready. Massage and facial really relaxing. All staff extremely friendly and helpful. Both bar and restaurant food was fantastic. Room was great too, very clean and bed very comfortable. Even after checking out still able to use facilities for the rest of the day.
Thank you for a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jason N, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay , I will of course pass the comments back to the team here at Botley park.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We spent two nights at this hotel the service was great fantastic polite staff. Comfortable room very clean as good as it get. The evening meals were excellent from a limited in choice. The breakfast on the other hand was fantastic with a varied choice and the service was very quick .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay , I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast I will of course feedback your comments regarding limited choice to the chef for review at our dinner menu change.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here for one night and really enjoyed our stay. Room was a good size and the shower amazing! Only downside with the room was that it was so hot, and the air con did nothing but make a rattling noise!

Pool was quite small but good for a splash, sauna & steam room nice. No jacuzzi which was a shame. The bars were nice but served flat beer! Amstel slightly more lively than the Heineken but staff were happy to swap the drinks when this was pointed out.

Reception & staff all really friendly & helpful, which gave a really good impression of the hotel from arrival.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding the friendless of our staff I will ensure the reception team made aware. I have asked my Operations Manager to investigate the comments regarding the beer

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Brilliant brilliant brilliant!!!

Amazing weekend,the spa and pool really refreshing! Got some amazing weather, staff were really helpful.
Room was excellently decorated, bed really comfy,just sank into it
Definitely would return

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k3lk3y

Many thanks for your comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights, plenty free parking and free cloud wifi.
Our room was lovely and warm, nice powerful shower, but the beds were not that comfy.
Pool is on the small side and if busy, you cannot swim.
Breakfast was quick and nice quality food.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#20 of 25 in Southampton
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!