“Ideal start for our cruise”

Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Botley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Lovely place. Our room was really nice, comfortable beds and decorated in modern art deco style. This place is huge, offers more than one place to eat, bars and lounges. Staff are very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed it so much it was a shame to leave. We left our car with the hotel and as part of the deal a taxi was provided to take us to the sea port to board our cruise. They also picked us up on returning. We will stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

If you planning on visiting the hotel in the future please contact us direct and ask for Jodie in reservations and I will ensure that we look after you and your family.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,246)

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Family stayed here on a reasonable 'deal' over Christmas for 2 nights. They felt the hotel in parts was looking 'tired' and mentioned stained carpets. Checked for myself and this was very true. Shame as great location. Heard that Premier League footballers stayed at this hotel- not in the cheaper rooms I'd guess!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Booked in the evening last minute and checked in at just after midnight. Reception 24hrs which was perfect and the night porter/receptionist was friendly and helpful. We were given our first room which turned out to be a twin rather than a double as booked, but one call to receptions and this was rectified within minutes.

The room was comfy and pleasant. Breakfast was excellent with a good knowledge of gluten and dairy allergies, which my girlfriend has.

The gym/spa/pool were great and the overall stay was great value for money. Would stay again!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments all feedback is very important to us and I have passed your comments onto the departments mentioned If you planning on visiting the hotel in the future please contact us direct

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I think this hotel was probably very nice once upon a time. Not any more. This is my second and last stay at this hotel, only returning to 'give it a second chance' after my first, less than acceptable experience a couple of weeks prior.

The hotel, outside of the main areas, is tired, unkempt and in need of investment. Woefully outdated, stained and worn carpet will lead you to your room. A cold room - you'd think in mid December the radiator might have been turned on prior to my visit.... no! A room decorated with un-sanded polyfiller, in some cases not even painted over. A room with a tired and uncomfortable bed, a stained headboard and excuses for pillows. (This latter point was brought up at my arrival after experiencing the same a coupe of weeks prior - I requested that 2 of the firmest pillows be brought to my room upon which I received the reply "go and try the ones you've got first"... oh dear..). I was pleased to find at least that the internet access is free.. but don't be fooled by the 'High Speed Internet' socket you'll find in your room.. I performed a speed test and found this to be a very pedestrian 5Mb/s on a wired LAN which by todays standards so close to a major city is poor...

The food and drink is very expensive and does not deliver on quality, that is once you can actually order it... I had to wait for the staff to end their conversation in their mother tongue before my order was taken.. the meal I had was, at best, mediocre and certainly not worthy of the price tag.

On a plus side, the leisure facilities are very well equipped with state of the art gym equipment. The staff I found to be disinterested though, verging on offensive on more than one occasion.

Housekeeping serviced my room to a good standard and Derek on reception upon checkout was polite and efficient.

On the whole I found that the hotel did not meet my expectations for quality and service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations at Botley Park we are always striving to improve our services and standards

Reviewed 11 December 2013

This hotel was great. We used it with a package for parking whilst we went on a cruise. The room was lovely and the bed was comfy. It was a bit of a walk to reception but no real problem. There was a small issue with the booking of a pedicure - but was all sorted out to my advantage. Breakfast was great. The hotel is set in lovely grounds that we didn't have time to make use of - but hopefully we will stay again and have chance to explore. Robert on reception was very accommodating and is an asset to the hotel - nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: Quite a walk for some rooms - request close to the facilities if you have mobility problems
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your comments regarding the hotel and staff I will pass them onto the team and to Robert in particular

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed here overnight prior to cruise cannot fault the stay. All staff very pleasant room very spacious clean and comfortable. Evening meal and breakfast great food. Would stay here again without a doubt and would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Executive ground floor room very quite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Room were excellent and a good size, beds were very comfortable, smart and tidy room with all the extras.

But the cost for restaurant food and drinks was way to high and would stop us re visiting again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments all feedback is very important to us and I have passed your comments onto the departments mentioned. I am sorry that you did feel the food prices a little high however we do offer a number of dining areas to accommodate all

Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#20 of 25 in Southampton
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!