“Peppa Pig break”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, UK
“Peppa Pig break”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed two nights as part of a Peppa Pig package. I found the hotel to be very family friendly and though the child check-in, Peppa room key and activity pack were lovely touches. A baby listening service would have been good to allow us to go to dinner once the little one was asleep. As it was we had dinner in the sports bar which wasn't great - the TV was on in both sections of this bar and the food was overpriced, even by London standards (£15.00 for fish and a grand total of six chips and £7.00 for three scoops of ice-cream). The kids meals were better value. Overall the non-breakfast food was average but nothing to write home about.

The Paultons website is misleading as we weren't given a free kids drink with the Peppa Pig menu and we were charged for the childs meal (it says on the website that kids eat free if under 3 when dining with an adult).

I'd recommend the Italian in Botley village. Again not cheap but we were welcomed and they did half portions of pasta dishes for kids.

The breakfast was excellent. Lots of choice and because families were sitting in a separate section it wa more relaxing for those of us trying to control the usual toddler tantrams.

The rooms were fine - standard big chain and we found that we could fit the cot round the corner by the wardrobes to make it less likely that we would disturb our child once asleep.

Overall we had a lovely stay and the addition of a baby listening service would make it completely family friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park , We will check the descriptions on the third party websites to ensure that they are not misleading

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I have recently returned from a night's stay whilst visiting Peppa Pig World. Check in was smooth and my 21mth old was given her own check in with a Peppa Pig key card which actually worked! Given a room on ground floor and they had put up a travel cot for us (although I cannot remember asking for one). This was very clean! Room was plenty big enough for us and there was a complimentary bottle of water waiting. Room included fridge, iron and iron board plus tea and coffee making facilities. Had possibly one of the best nights sleep in a hotel despite my daughter waking a couple of times for a quick resettle. Husband wasn't too keen on pillows but that's personal choice. Breakfast the next morning was well organised. All families were kept in a separate area away from other diners which I loved because I was able to relax and not worry if my daughter messed about etc. breakfast consisted of continental buffet and a full English if you wanted it (portions a little small). All in all a very relaxed stay.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank rixy1
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park
Newbury Berks
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Our group of Wednesday & Friday members of the TAGS (The Argument Golf Society) have 2 away days per season and we have started with the Botley Park Hotel for the 1st away day and night with 2 rounds of golf.
I found the staff very helpful and the rooms were clean and of a reasonable standard but no tea/coffee making facility. However this is only a small complaint as otherwise all was ok. The food in the Restaurant was good with a fair choice of cuisine. The one downfall is the price of drinks as done in all Large combines of Hotels in the World.
If you are going for the golf as well it is quite a good layout with some tricky holes and well maintained. Although we have had very wet Winter the course was in an acceptable condition.
I would have no qualms about going here again the future and enjoyed my stay there.

Room Tip: Although we were located on the lower floor it was good as we had no long walk to the golf club hous...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park sorry you could not locate the tea and coffee facilities that are in the cupboard under the TV.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My family and I had a lovely stay at Botley Park, staying one night as part of a Peppa Pig World package. The children had a very warm welcome by Robert on the front desk, and he addressed me by my name throughout our stay; a nice touch. The pool was also very welcoming, after a day of walking around the theme park, and the sports bar was a very relaxed place for dinner. The bed was very comfortable, we all had a restful night's sleep. Breakfast was delicious and the restaurant well-staffed. Overall, a perfect stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park the team are focused on delivering great customer service for families. If you wish to return in the future we also offer a Peppa Pig packages through the hotel website
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Hi

My new husband and I got married at the Botley Park hotel in March and we were not disappointed in anything that the hotel provided. The staff were friendly and polite and couldn't do enough for us both. The venue is set in beautiful surroundings and has a range of facilities.

Fiona and Brooke were the ladies that got us to the day and kept us informed of any changes through various meetings and emails and were more than happy to accommodate our needs.

Damien who ran our wedding on the day was outstanding could not fault his commitment in making our day run smoothly. He was on the ball constantly and was always there if we needed him including taking us out on the golf carts to take our photos and finding my bouquet that I thought I lost!

The food was amazing and lots of it and cooked to perfection and the staff were lovely. I would definitely without hesitation recommend anyone looking to get married in Hampshire to look here!

Thank you so much for making our day the most amazing day we had such a great day!!!

Room Tip: We had the honeymoon suite which had a lovely view of the grounds!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments we try hard to make wedding days very special I will pass your comments on to Fiona and the team.
look forward to welcoming you back for your first anniversary
Reviewed 13 April 2014

In summary, I will not return to this hotel for the following reasons.

1. I felt vulnerable for my family after a 5am fire alarm went off and no reasonable risk assessments or procedures where carried out or followed through during or after the event.
2. I believe the welfare and safety of my family is of no concern to the hotel.
3. I have concerns that staff couldn't deal with the incident properly.
4. I feel undervalued as a customer.
5. The room i stayed in was poorly maintained, the rest of the hotel is tired.

We stayed at this hotel Wednesday to Friday last week. A visit to Peppa Pig World was the reason for our booking. We are regular users of the Macdonald chain, in Scotland particularly, so despite the stay being more expensive than other hotels locally we remained 'loyal to the brand'. I expected with Macdonald Hotels that my family would be cared for like we had many times before during our stays nationally.

Robert checked us in, he was extremely friendly to our son who remembered his name for the two nights we stayed. Well done and thank you Robert, that was a very nice start to our stay.
Our son is two years old. We had booked a triple room.

The window in our room didn't fit its aperture, so there was a gap around it that let cold air in constantly, the window stay (lock) was loose and ineffective, and the radiator in the room didn't work. We decided to have son in our bed to ensure he was kept warm during the night.

The fire alarm went off at 4:45am. No one checked to ensure we where safe, i.e. room 314 was empty and we where accounted for. The roll call was started then abandoned when the fire service pulled up at reception and we where all stood outside in very cold temperatures without any explanation or consideration for ours and everyone else's welfare. We where not told it was safe to return inside or not, at any point. We where just left to file back in gradually like sheep.

I was informed by a couple who also had their two year old daughter with them and where visiting Peppa Pig World, that the room close to them was the reason the alarm went off, triggered by smoking in the room. The smell of the cigarette gave them cause to believe it wasn't just tobacco they where smoking due to the pungent smell. I am disappointed to believe this is true, but have no reason to doubt the people who told me.

Im a worldy wise person. I am able to take care of my family in most events after looking after others in emergency situations as a job and don't complain as a rule, however, I was disturbed by the information I had been given, the lack of communication after a serious incident by the hotel and the clear lack of after care. It made me feel vulnerable, that we where in danger at the hotel because of others, and feel undervalued as a customer and guests of the hotel that our health, welfare and safety had not been given a first or even a second thought during our stay. I could have complained but decided to accept these things happen and wait for a 'note under the door' to offer reassurance. That would have been the minimum I would have expected.

When I checked out I casually asked what was the cause of the fire alarm and evacuation of the building on Wednesday night. I was told firmly 'it was for a reason, but I will not tell you what for' by a french accented receptionist. I didn't reply. It was further disappointment by the manner of her retort, the lack of diplomacy and no offer of an apology.

So. Shall I book a room at this hotel again when it appears to allow controlled drugs to be consumed in its rooms, give no regard to its customers welfare after the apparent use of cigarettes set the fire alarm off and being outside in the freezing conditions in middle of the night for approx 45 minutes, who didn't show an ounce of welfare consideration, during and after such an event?

No, I seriously and honestly couldn't risk it. My family are to precious to remain that loyal.

The lack of skill and the inability to follow basic safety procedures in taking a roll call of guests after a fire evacuation is a major concern. Communication with guests during and after such an event was poor and discouraging. When I attempted to obtain some reassurance that I had been safe in the event and during our stay by asking a reasonable question at reception, I was further dismissed and without an apology for the inconvenience to my family for the event.

The pool was nice,breakfast was good and the staff serving that where very pleasant and courteous.

Room Tip: Ground floor by a fire exit in case the fire alarm goes off again.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in communication during the fire evacuation on the morning of the 10th April. Clear communication at such times is important and on this occasion we fell short in providing you with the confidence that the situation was being managed

We do take guest safety very seriously and Botley Park like all Macdonald Hotels has an agreed fire risk assessment that covers both day and night evacuation. This assessment along with staff training records and all recorded documentation in relation to maintenance and upkeep of fire related equipment is audited regularly during the year by external consultants.

We do provide clear information in all bedrooms on how to safely exit the hotel if the bells sound and this is backed up with emergency lighting, well maintained escape routes and fire resistant doors that meet the requirements of UK legalisation
fareham
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Wow what a night! Had a second charity function, to be honest having attend many functions in many hotels the Botley park is a county mile ahead of its nearest competitor! Running our function was Damien, talk about on the ball! The food was hot, perfectly presented and so delicious. Bar staff were quick, helpful and attentive. This was the second year we chose this hotel, and if the prices don't rise too much I hope we will be booking again! It seems a perfect venue for any function as it seems the function rooms do not interfere with the guests and vice versa. We made a weekend of it, so around 20 do us stayed Friday and Saturday night and to be honest it was a perfect weekend. I have been to a wedding here too, this was again a very good choice. Breakfast excellent, restaurant excellent, with a more upmarket bar, and a sports bar, seem to cater for all. As I said last year, they should be very proud of their team, they are really getting so much right!!...... Can't wait to return!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park , we are very proud of the service we deliver in the conference and events area and as well as charity events we also caster for weddings , birthdays and large conference events.

I will pass your comments to Damien .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Grand Harbour Hotel
Novotel Southampton
#9 of 24 in Southampton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,638 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Southampton

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!