Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Really nice hotel, we visited as a family with a young child (peppa pig world) and found the hotel was lovely. Set in beautiful surroundings of a country park and golf club the hotel was fabulous for a short break.

Rooms were nice and I would recommed upgrading to an executive for added extras and views over the golf course. Pool and spa facilities were great and it seems to be a place that hosts a fair few weddings although this didn't impact the service one bit.

Now the bad (although not many):

We went for breakfast (limited) in the morning in the Winchester Restaurent and my wife (pregnant) was told she would have to pay £2.50 in addition for an omlette, I found this a bit strange as we already paid £15 for the breakfast. A few items e.g the fish were priced as an additional £2.50 but an omlette? surely not. Anyway this left a bad impression.

When we checked in my credit card was swiped as normal, however on checkout I was told there's a £3 charge for using CC, I was a bit surprised at this, becasue all along I was given the impression that I could charge to the room etc and was never told that I would incur the £3 charge, what a better way to piss off your patrons as they leave lol. You may think I shouldn't quibble over £3 for staying at this hotel but I guess it's the principle.

All in all a good hotel and would return but the management need to sort out the unfair credit card fees.

Room Tip: Executive room,
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your comments both good and bad. we pride ourselves on our breakfast offering at Botley park and in addition to the 56 different items on the cold breakfast buffet we do offer a plated full English and use only the finest ingredients . unfortunately like all hotels we do offer supplements for breakfast and this gives people the options to try something different but we have never had comments stating our offering is limited.

The £3 credit card charge is normal and is added for most services in the hospitably/ entertainment industry from airlines to theater and sporting tickets. This is a charge that we are passing on from your merchant who charges us these charges are on confirmation and on the brand site, however we do not charge for use of debit cards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed over the Easter break. We enjoy staying at different Macdonald Hotels and wanted to visit the Historic Dockyard at Portsmouth. Our room was lovely, the staff were lovely and the breakfasts were excellent. However, we couldn't use the swimming pool ( children were in until 8pm ) and the spa treatments I booked were totally ruined by children running up and down the corridors and playing in a den outside the " relaxation " room! Also booked dinner for " formal dining" but abandoned it as Peppa pig childrens buffet in the dining room and it was so noisy.
I love children, I have my own! But.... the hotel was completely devoted to toddlers and had forgotten it's other guests. There needs to be a balance here and maybe the peppa pig buffets shouldn't be in the formal dining area and maybe the pool could have children up to 6pm or something? Children and families at breakfast is to be expected and welcomed and it is important for hotels to provide for families but they shouldn't forget the adults too who have booked for a relaxing break!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Botley Park, I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Although we accommodate children which is mainly through holiday periods and weekends we do try very hard to create an adult environment also and the childrens buffet is normally located away from the hotel restaurant for the exact reason in your comment. I am not sure as to why it wasn't but I will investigate and ensure it does not re-our.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed with the Peppa Pig package with our 3 year old. We were familiar with the hotel as we had stayed prior to having our son. Sadly we left our sons favourite cuddly teddy bear which for any parent can be a nightmare. I contacted the hotel when we got home and after a few phone calls to the housekeeping department they managed to find the bear and post him out to us! The room, staff and whole experience was exceptional. We will definitely return and look forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you your writing a review, we spend quality time with our team to ensure that they treat guests as individuals whilst they are staying with us . we look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Booked hotel as part of the Peppa Pig package for our twin girls third birthday. On arrival girls were given Easter eggs, colouring packs and their own check in cards. Our room was spacious and the hotel had left the girls birthday balloons and a card, which was really sweet! There were lots of other children there and the staff were so accommodating. There was a play area in the main reception and the girls loved the pool.Overall was really impressed that such a 'posh' hotel were so great with kids making the trip enjoyable for all!!

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, the team are focused on delivering great customer service for families. If you wish to return in the future we also offer a Peppa Pig packages through the hotel website
Devon UK
Reviewed 20 April 2014

On arrival to the hotel I noticed there was a wedding reception, I did wonder if this would effect our nights sleep with music etc but it did not at all, I was very impressed by that. When we arrived at the hotel Reception Robert was fantastic. He could not have been more helpful and was exceptional with our children, I could not fault him in any way. Also on arrival our daughters got a welcome pack and their very own Peppa Pig key for our room which they loved using each time to get in. When getting to our room again there were no faults, the rooms were immaculate, very clean no problems at all, also the curtains were black out so in the morning it was great because they let no light in at all. We used the leisure facilities, our girls loved the swimming pool and having the sauna and steam room on the poolside was great as my partner and I could take it in turns in the sauna/steam or in the pool with the girls. The reason this review is only 'very good' and not 'excellent' is because we were very let down at breakfast. There was a private wedding breakfast going on and I think that massively effected the service and quality of our food. When we got to breakfast there was not a clean table so we had to wait. It didn't take too long so it was not really an issue. The staff were all very friendly but you could see they were rather rushed/busy. After sitting down they took our order rather quickly and food arrived soon after. We asked for coffee three times from three different people and they kept forgetting. We also asked for toast a number of times and it came out just as we were finishing our breakfast. The food was very good, however I had eggshell in my egg and two different hairs in my beans/egg which obviously put me off. Unfortunately these things sometimes happen I was just the unlucky one.
Having said all of this I would stay again, everything else was absolutely fine and every time our girls walked passed reception they remembered how friendly 'the man' Robert was to them.
Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park I will pass them on to the team mentioned in your review. I am sorry that your breakfast experience was not to our usual high standard I will ensure a full investigation does take place
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

20 of us stayed for two nights the staff were so friendly , food lovely , jose, the waiter was excellent , have been organising these breaks for over 20 yrs and can honestly say havent ever been treated so well nothing was too much trouble.The golf was really good sfaff in pro shop were very friendly and course was very interesting not hilly good test makes you think your way round , greens had been sanded but expect that in april.Must also mention Jodie on reservations who was excellent in the way she organised it all a credit to the company would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park I will pass them on to the team mentioned in your review. we look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights on a dinner, bed & breakfast basis. Room was clean and large enough for two adults and two children (the two children were one fold up beds). The bed was really comfortable with clean an crisp sheets.

Dinner was excellent, although they tend to put all families in one area. On the first evening this area had quite a few young children who were fairly noisy and obviously tired. The waitress could see this, and asked if we wanted to move to the other table without us needing to ask.

All the staff in the hotel were really friendly and could do enough for you. Pool are was fantastic, which the kids loved. Room service and breakfast were great - hot and a good variety.

Will return one day.

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your kind comments we spend quality time with our team to ensure that they treat guests as individuals whilst they are staying with us
Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Hilton at The Ageas Bowl
#10 of 24 in Southampton
Solent Hotel & Spa
Solent Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Whiteley

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!