“kept waiting by hotel that did not care!”

Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Botley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We booked the hotel as part of a cruise and stay package. All appeared well smooth ck in and then the waiting began, over 30 mins for sandwiches for lunch. Then over an hour for milk to our room for a coffee! But after returning from our cruise holiday and having pre paid for a return transfer taxi arranged through the hotel, imagine our dismay and utter frustration at been kept waiting for nearly 2 hours for the taxi to arrive. We contacted the hotel for assistane mmmmm? They could not have cared less, could we laden down with suitcases and on the phone calling for assistance call for help what? And what were we offred when we finally got the car a coffee! Thankfully lesson learned we won't use again.

Room Tip: If cruise and stay don't bother, taxi 15 mins late to the port if you must use join taxiqueue on...
1  Thank kala1308
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in standards of service experienced on this occasion. As I am sure you are aware, this is not the usual standard of hospitality we would wish to offer our guests and I am very sorry your expectations were not met. I have since had a meeting with the Taxi company who prvide this service on our behalf.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,264)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel for a night stay before we left Southampton on a cruise. We left our car at the hotel for the duration of the cruise. The hotel is situated in a niece area, and the grounds are well kept. Check in was easy, and what was very nice touch is that parking spaces are reserved for 'park and sail' guests. The room we had was adequate for us for just one night. It was small, but it was very clean and the bed was comfortable. We had an evening meal and breakfast at the hotel. The food was good, but we felt that service was quite slow. A taxi was provided in the hotel cost. The journey to the cruise port took about 20 minutes. The taxi driver who took us to the port could not help with our cases because he had a bad back, and his car could only take one of our cases in the boot. This would not have been a good thing for someone who has similar back problems or other disability, or even very elderly. My suggestion is to mention to the reception staff if you might be unable to handle your luggage in and out of the taxi

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park, I will of course follow up with the taxi company who we use for port transfers

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights here so we could visit peppa pig world,lovely peppa pig check in and swipe card with gift bag for the kids,hotel rooms and grounds were lovely and staff very professional sauna excellent.wifi was patchy however and though the pool was great it was a disappointment that on our second day swimming classes were on 5-6 pm and engineers were trying to fix the pool ladder at the same time!! (unsuccessfully) Breakfast was excellent and the choices on offer were very good,id avoid dinner here though as its priced as you'd expect.
Instead search out farmers home an amazing place to eat just minutes away and well priced we loved iys charm and the service we received

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding Botley Park, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed there in March and it's the second time we have stayed there and both times we have really enjoyed it. We stayed in an executive room in a seperate block overlooking the golf course which was so quiet. The breakfast was delicious - sometimes a little slow at busy times but not too bad. The food in the restaurant was delicious - not a great choice for vegetarians but we ate there twice. It's in a very good location - close to Portsmouth and Southampton and not far from a retail park either. Will stay there again next time we are in the area for a break.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your nice comments we hope you will come back and use us in the future use us in the future

Reviewed 13 June 2014

After two days here it's difficult to know where to start.

Lets begin with the positives. The hotel is a nice property, well maintained, in very nice and spacious grounds, It is in a convenient position for Southampton, has great parking and pretty good, free wifi. Breakfasts are pretty good and the service at reception and for breakfast are friendly and efficient. The bedrooms are a little on the small side but large enough for a short stay - they are comfortable and clean. So far, so good.

So why, after that positive start have I given in a 2 out of 5 rating? That's easy - I'm generous!

For the standard of hotel the F&B quality and service is as bad as I have experienced in 30 years. To be fair we didn't eat in the main restaurant - we only wanted light meals, so we ate in the bar on our first night and, having been so unimpressed we ate in the separate golf bar the second night, not realising that the menu and kitchen were the same.

Our meal on the first night was really very poor. I ordered soup and fish and chips - clearly not expecting a gastronomic extravaganza, my bar was set quite low - or so I thought. The waitress, who was perfectly friendly, brought both courses out together, obviously expecting me to eat the soup whilst the main course went cold. Feeling pretty chilled and not wanting to cause a fuss I didn't complain. The soup tasted like tinned - certainly slightly disappointing. The fish was almost certainly straight out of a packet and was swimming in grease, the chips seemed to be re heated - from last week! - really not very appetising. I have had better in a motorway service station and I stopped eating in those in about 1970. The vinegar was in sachets and the ketchup in a good old Heinz bottle so the 'Granada' theme was at least implemented thoroughly. The one thing that wasn't service station - themed was the price - my wife's glass of wine costed over £11! Yes £11 and to add insult to injury it wasn't even a decent wine.

Onwards and upwards. We decided not to eat in the hotel again but on day 2 the weather was great and we thought that we'd give it another go - it couldn't be as bad again surely? We thought that we'd give the golf bar a go and sit out in the glorious sunshine. Big, Big mistake. We ordered - our starters, my main course and half of my wife's main course came in about half an hour - prawn cocktails - again not exactly Roux, haute cuisine but OK for an informal night? - No - it was like something that you might have expected in the Old Dog and Duck about 1965 - it would have embarrassed a pretty basic pub. We then waited, and waited and waited for the rest of my wife's main course. We waited and waited and waited and chased and waited a bit more and chased …………You get the picture. After chasing the meal three times we gave up. By then I had finished my meal about an hour before. My wife gave up on hers and sent back what had been served - no great sacrifice - it looked very mediocre. We had also ordered drinks - after half an hour we chased at the bar and the staff said that they knew nothing about our order - despite the waiter writing it down and repeating it to us. We gave up on the order and queued up with a battalion of thirsty golfers.

Another typical albeit trivial point. The golf bar has a Guinness pump on the bar - when my wife ordered one for me she noticed that the drink was tinned - laughable.

A poor unsuspecting supervisor, who had just come on shift made the mistake of coming to clear our table and we gave him some 'constructive feedback'. He explained that the hotel didn't train waiters to serve starters before main courses - they always bring them out together - really - why?

He did a bit of follow up and explained that the waiter hadn't taken down our order correctly - fair enough - we all make mistakes. Unfortunately he couldn't offer any reason for our three 'chase ups' failing to result in us getting our order. Nor was he able to explain why our drinks had not arrived after over 30 minutes.

If you though that Fawlty Towers was a comedy show, you're wrong - it seems that the series was a series of Macdonald Botley training videos. The staff haven't yet achieved the standards set by Basil but they may eventually do so - if the hotel remains open long enough!

To be fair, the supervisor eventually offered to deduct the cost of my burger - a nice gesture on his part but never likely to change my opinion of the hotel after two pretty awful days. Will I get the education? I'm not holding my breath. Not really the point. I wasn't complaining to get a refund.

For a tip - if you are interested in this hotel, look at the Marriott Meon Valley instead. It's about 5 miles away. The hotel is quite similar, similar spa, similar golf course, similar rooms - but the experience is light years ahead of the Macdonald. It was full this time around - the Macdonald wasn't - I wonder why? It's a shame - the hotel is a perfectly good and well maintained property. The reception staff and the breakfast staff are very good - but the Restaurant / bar staff and the food quality is SO disappointing - it drags down the whole hotel. Bring in a new F&B Manager before the guests all vote with their feet - there are lots of hotels in Southampton - I have booked about 30 room nights so far this year and I'll continue to book at a similar rate - there is no chance that we'll stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Any room, anywhere - different hotel.
4  Thank Brian C

Thank you for your comments I am sorry that you did not have a great experience, we do work hard on delivery great food an beverage but certainly on this occasion we have not please contact me at the hotel so I can discuss this further

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We took our relatives here (as a group of four yesterday) for a champagne afternoon tea on a Groupon deal. Tea was taken in the bar which was a rather dark area for such a lovely day. We noted the spiel on the wall saying that they only used the freshest products and local etc. Only to find that when our sandwiches came they were very dry and curled up rather like they had been hanging around for quite a time! My mother-in-law who is used to fine dining commented on them, so I complained and after a member of staff touching the sandwiches they had to agree that they were dry. Meanwhile, we had moved on to having our tea on its own while the sandwiches were replaced, so it all got out of sync! There was no formal apology, the staff didn't really seem as though they could be bothered. They started to re-arrange the seating in the bar area while we were still having our tea which was very distracting. The scones were cold, no sugar tongs or spoons for the cream and jam, I had to ask for a napkin as I was not provided with one. The music playing was a bit too loud for conversation as well. All in all it did not live up to expectations. I would not recommend afternoon tea here even on a half price deal!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments I am sorry that you did not have a great experience, we have very few bad comments regarding afternoon tea and I sorry for this. lease contact me at the hotel so I can discuss this further.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on two previous occasions which we enjoyed. We stayed for one night on the 30/5 on a pre-cruise deal. When we arrived we could not believe what was in the reception. Instead of a nice relaxing area (like you would expect in a reception) the place was full of kiddies play areas,Wendy houses and mothers tending to their kids and a lot of noise. When I asked if it was a kiddies convention the reply I got was that they are now promoting the hotel as a family hotel and the reception arrangement was due to it being a school holiday. We also learned that the hotel is loosing it's golf course in the not so distant future. The hotel has lost what originally attracted us to it so we will not be frequenting this establishment in the future. No Thanks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments I am sorry that you felt the mix of families and other guests was not what you would expect however during holidays the area is very busy with families visiting for attractions and we do limit the amount of family business we take this is not unique to Botley park .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
Jurys Inn Southampton
Jurys Inn Southampton
#7 of 26 in Southampton

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!