“Excellent !!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent !!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed overnight on a trip to Paulton's Park with our 6 year old - 'staying in a hotel' is a great adventure for him and he loved this one. As did his parents. The accumulation of small touches and details tells you that the team here are real hospitality professionals. Robert on Reception is mentioned warmly in so many of these reviews for the simple reason that he really is excellent. I've stayed in a fair few hotels down the years and generally when you stagger into reception looking vaguely like you've been quarrying limestone all day.....there can be a certain dismissiveness. Not here - we were welcomed warmly and our boy loved the experience of 'checking in' himself. Small things.....they go a long way. Didn't have dinner in the hotel but did take breakfast - really very good, excellent service once more. Strongly recommended.

For reasons that elude me, I wrote but didn't post the review above following a stay in, I think, May. Stayed again around two weeks ago - and once more were very impressed. The same high emphasis on hospitality and welcome was evident and again a pleasant stay indeed. Only difference this time was the 0430hrs fire alarm. I've noticed some critical mention of fire alarms in other reviews so I think it's worth saying that, annoying and inconvenient for everyone as these things inevitably are, the situation was very well handled by hotel staff. They looked to do all they reasonably could in difficult circumstances and did it in a polished, professional manner. A bemused and cranky 6 year old at 0430 is no-one's idea of a treat but dealing with a hotel full of tired, unhappy guests rudely woken by klaxon is a far taller order - everyone, not least the hotel. would rather it hadn't happened of course but, as it did, I can only report that staff handling was reassuring, courteous and professional. In any case, it certainly didn't spoil our stay which again was excellent and delighted our son.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deltic70
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Botley Park we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, I will of course pass your comments on to Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We visited this venue as a group of 12 golfers on our annual society trip.
Check in was handled well but the room was not ready until 4pm , we left are bags at reception and ordered coffee and waited and waited..............
We played around of golf on the wonderful golf course and returned to the bar for pre dinner drinks, the service was shambolic from the minimum wage eastern Europeans behind the bar who were friendly but clueless.
The drinks are VERY expensive.
We ate a pre ordered three course meal in the main restaurant which was mostly inedible, raw potato,cold chicken,everything was yuk!
Breakfast was a tad better but watery scrambled eggs cold beans and fatty bacon was the starter for the day but there was worse to come!!!!
On the final day we stupidly ordered a burger and fries for lunch which was £13 each ,burnt bun ,overcooked burger six soggy fries ,simply disgusting......we left it!
Overall a disaster and the worst catering we have had on 20 years of these trips.
To be fair the room was spacious and clean, staff in the pro shop were helpful and friendly as were the hapless bar staff (watching them try to create a jug of Pimms was amazing) but the place is obviously very badly managed.
After the first night we found a great pub nearby and decamped there to spend our evenings which was the answer for any group of golfers however i feel sorry for all the families who are staying there for peppa pig world and would be forced by children s bedtimes to stay in the hotel.
The biggest laugh we had was when we heard they are closing the beautiful golf course !!
We almost said as one "leave the golf course alone and knock the bloody hotel down"

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regards to service and food quality during your , we will of course use your feedback to ensure we are more consistent.

Travellers are raving about these Botley hotels

Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The setting of this hotel is beautiful but the hotel itself is in need of attention - both managerial and decorative. Managerial? Standards are distinctly average and it is clear that supervisors and managers would do well to encourage and motivate staff to deliver outstanding levels of customer service, hygiene and food. Having been presented with 'black' handcut chips, and cold (previously frozen) veg; upon drawing this to the attention of our waitress she simply giggled. The beds are huge but housekeeping standards could be better, with toothpaste marks not cleaned from one day to the next. All of which leads me to conclude that "the standard you walk past, is the standard you accept". Staff are broadly pleasant but alcohol is scandalously expensive. Generally the hotel and its staff need some care and attention. The word 'functional' describes it perfectly.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JML525
Thank you for your feedback I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regards to service and food quality.
UK
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was booked by my office for a trip to Southampton. Ordinarily I would prefer to book with the global chains and was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews online, however I needn't have worried.

The hotel was a typical 4* country hotel. The rooms were well appointed with clean bathrooms, if a little dated with their style. The hallways are rather shabby and could do with some TLC, however the room itself was fine. Minor irritation was the key would not work, most frustrating given my 'executive' room was right at the end of the hotel. The maid kindly let me in so I could leave my luggage before changing my key.

Before dinner I enjoyed the well equipped gym with my colleague. Plenty of very modern equipment and a good weights section, very good for a hotel gym so a big thumbs up from me!

The bar and restaurant are a little dated and certainly aren't cheap, however they are practical. The service at the bar was a little militant at times, particularly by the male waiter who came in at the end of the night to close the bar and was overly abrupt, you need to think about the customer experience here a little more! Dinner was very nice and the steak excellent.

Breakfast in the morning was vet comprehensive and you could order cooked breakfast from an extensive menu, a solid effort to start your day.

WiFi is provided by The Cloud and is free of charge. It's even easier to use if you are already signed up to the cloud app as you get immediate access which was appreciated.

Overall the hotel met expectations and I would return if in the area and the rate was reasonable.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Botley Park we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a lovely comfortable room (with an enormous bed), the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely with a wide selection of items. Other food was quite expensive. The driving range was excellent value for money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your comments I am glad you had a great nights sleep and enjoyed your stay
Romford
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight here before a visit to Peppa Pig couldn't get a package through the Paultons website but as friends had already booked here for the Peppa package decided to join them. Check in staff were very helpful and the room was large and very clean. Roll away bed was made up for our grandson and he was very happy with it. Breakfast was included which was excellent, cooked english breakfast and also continental items, fruit, yoghurt and juices all available in abundance. We also ate dinner in the restaurant, no complaints about three of the meals but my husband felt his lamb shank was rather dry. The children ate at the children's buffet which was good value for money. My one complaint is that there were no children's drinks available at the bar unless you wanted fizzy or pure juice. They had squash at the buffet so why not available at the casual bar? All in all I felt this hotel was good value although as some other posters have mentioned drinks were quite pricy although I understand compare well with other hotels in the area. Also we found the Internet connection poor.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments after your recent stay, I will ensure I pick up with the food and beverage team over your comments on the soft drinks offering for the children . we are currently upgrade our IT which does include enhancing the internet speed
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I booked this Hotel as part of the Peppa Pig Deal for 2 adults and daughter of 3 years, and I would highly reccomend this to anyone. On arrival my daughter was given a colouring book package full of crayons and colouring books, she was issued her own room card with a Peppa Pig on it. There is an activity corner to keep the kids busy etc whilst you book in. The staff that served me were polite.
Inside the hotel room the towels were very clean as well as the room, they had made up a foldable bed for my daughter which was perfect as it wasnt too high of the ground as I worried she could fall out.
The adults bed was massive more then enough room to stretch out without having to touch the wife hehe, so I wasnt cramped up like a sardine in a jar.
Went to the indoor swimming pool very clean, they have a smaller pool for kids joined onto the large pool. Fresh towels can be requested on signing in for the pool.

Breakfast was included in our package and we all really enjoyed it, fantastic service, fresh coffee press, food was really good and gave us a super start to the 2nd day at paultons park.

Verdict For us it was perfect. Would stay here again, not usually one to make a review but felt it was needed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stuart D
Jason N, Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Glad you enjoyed your stay here at Botley Park , thank you for the nice comments. we do some great offers throughout the year , hope to see you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Hilton at The Ageas Bowl
#10 of 25 in Southampton
Solent Hotel & Spa
Solent Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Whiteley

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!