“On my way to Southampton - Disappointing”

Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Botley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 October 2010

1:Location= The hotel isn't so far from Southampton. I found it quite hard to find it as there aren't many signs on the way.
2:Building= Modern building. Quite clean. Nothing too exciting.
3:Welcome= The welcome was ok. I have to say that I was expected much better as I was told it was a four stars. It clearly isn't.
4:Room= Same comment as above. It clearly isn't a four stars. The room are ok but don't expect too much.
5:Bathroom= Average
6:Dinner= Average. I would even add that I found it expensive.
7: Summary= I won't go back to this hotel. It was too expensive for what we got in return. I am a trusted feedback provider on Tripadvisor (more than 40 reviews). Disappointing!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Paul-GM, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2010

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel and for choosing to stay with us.

I do greatly appreciate all feedback as it gives us an opportunity to review our standards and continue to develop. I wish to pass on my apologies for what appears to have been a disappointing stay however I would also like to thank you, for giving me your comments.

As you mentioned, Botley Park is a modern, golf and spa resort and it is located close to Southampton and I have fed back your comments regarding additional signage to the directors of the company and this will be reviewed. With regards to pricing, I certainly feel we are well priced in the local market however our prices do fluctuate, depending on demand in the area and we always advise to book ahead to avoid any disappointment. With regards to the dinner menu pricing I will review this with our Executive Chef as we are about to launch our new menu and we will certainly take your comments on board prior to launch.

I hope that you decide to revisit Botley Park at some point and once again thank you for your feedback.

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (2,227)

Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas as a last minute break. Hotel very busy with organised parties etc. First room was tiny and dark and rather dissapointing. We moved paid and upgraded to a deluxe room which was larger, light and airy but freezing so we were moved to another room. It was then established that the heating wasn't working properly so we were supplied with two fan heaters! We decided not to have Christmas luch there and managed to book a lovely restaurant in the nearby town. The breakfast however was lovely and we ate in the bar a few times which was fine.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review regarding your Christmas break in 2009.

I do remember this period of time in the hotel and I regret that at one of our busiest and coldest times of the year, the heating failed in one of the bedroom blocks. As you know, it took us a few days to resolve this issue and I can only apologise for this unexpected failure. The team did do their best to react to this and I was pleased to note they arranged heaters for your room. I will pass on your comments to the bar and restaurant team and I thank you for staying with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back this year.

Reviewed 2 October 2010

Very good sporting facilities including golf course, spa, squash courts etc. Food excellent, esp. all lamb dishes and rib-eye steak!. Room well furnished. Only complaint was the golf bar, where the chairs needed refurbishing.
Friendly and obliging staff.
Good location for visiting the New Forest and Isle of Wight.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmus

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read your comments and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I do agree the chairs in the golf bar are starting to show wear and tear and I am currently working towards re-furbishing these over the winter period as part of the refurbishment plans we have in place.

I hope that you re-visit the hotel soon and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed with friends for a golfing weekend. I couldn't fault the rooms, they were comfortable, modern and clean, with good sized bathrooms. The food was generally good - when it arrived. For some reason they had a buffet breakfast on Sundays, which was fine, but waiter/waitress service on Saturdays - when we had to wait ages for our cooked breakfasts. Luckily we had plenty of time otherwise we would have missed our tee times! Dinner was good on Friday night, but we had to wait almost three-quarters of an hour for our main courses - three of us had cod in batter - which was soggy and greasy when it turned up. The waiting staff seemed to be junior and were not properly trained or managed - the fact that they had wedding receptions going probably explained why the kitchens couldn't cope. I was annoyed to find a £1 charity donation and a £2 credit card charge added to my bill without being notified about this first. The reception staff were not very helpful when I raised this and just stated it gets added to everyone's bill sir. Not the customer service I would have expected from such a hotel. The golf however was good, the course in good condition and the staff in the golf centre and golf bar staff were the opposite of the hotel - very friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Paul-GM, General Manager at Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Thank you for your review on Trip advisor.

I appreciate your feedback and I was pleased to read you found the hotel bedrooms to your liking.

With regards to breakfast we are very focussed on providing freshly cooked, plated breakfast each day which we find overall our guests enjoy and we feel this normally enhances the breakfast experience of our guests. We did however on the Saturday morning experience an earlier than expected rush of guests, which, on a Saturday is normally spaced out and therefore as we were full, we changed to a buffet breakfast the following morning, to ensure quicker service for our residents.

I have passed on your feedback to the kitchen team regarding dinner and although I was pleased to read you enjoyed it I will of course mention the batter for the fish to the executive chef.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 24 September 2010

Unless you like to gamble, do not book a room here, because you won't be certain of getting one when you arrive!! Our sons wedding was taking place in Portsmouth and we booked 25 rooms (months in advance) for the night before the wedding (Friday) and the wedding night (Saturday). Two days before the wedding we found out, purely by chance, that they had double booked the rooms for the Saturday night!! Despite accepting liability and despite the fact that our booking was made first, we were informed that we would have to find somewhere else to stay. Try finding a hotel, with 25 rooms available, at a days notice and whilst the Goodwood Revival, Festival of Speed and Southampton boat show is on!! Fortunately for us the Holiday Inn at Winchester bent over backwards to help. They were fantastic. I cannot recommend them highly enough. The Holiday Inn is superb. The bedrooms are really nice and they have an excellent restaurant. If you are staying in the area go there. At least you can be sure you will have a room when you get there!!

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank stuart_barnes1

Thank you for your review.

I was obviously disappointed with the error made and as per our discussion and my E-Mail to you, I do sincerely apologise for the oversight.

The reservation employee at the time, misread your E-Mail and booked in only the 3 additional doubles you required for the 2nd night and I regret it was not picked up until the names of your guests were confirmed.

As you know, we did do all we could to resolve this for you including locating two alternative hotels for you to choose from, making the reservation for you and as a gesture of goodwill we also paid for the additional bedroom charges to relocate your party. I would also like to assure you I was personally in constant contact with the reservations team of the other hotel, to ensure you were very well looked after.

I sincerely regret this situation happened due to what was a simple yet regrettable administration error and I hope you and your family had a wonderful wedding day in Portsmouth.

Reviewed 23 September 2010

Had a very nice long weekend at the Botley Park Hotel, sixteen guys were on a golfing weekend for a society we play in.
The hotel was very clean and the staff were friendly and polite, rooms were very nice and clean, we just had standard twin rooms with bathrooms. Their was a TV in the room with tea making kettle etc.
Food was fantastic, we could not fault it, we got a very good deal with 3 rounds of golf and rooms with half board (breakfast and evening meal) for two nights.
The hotel had lots to offer, an indoor swimming pool, gym, tennis & squash courts to name a few.
If your a golfer you wont be disappointed with the coarse, it's a good length, well kept and very picturesque.
All in all a very good hotel, the only thing we could find fault with was the bar and lunch prices, very expensive, but to be fair we did get an excellent deal to start with.

• Stayed: September 2010

Thank you for your review.

I was very pleased to read the team looked after you so well and you enjoyed the golf course.

We are very proud of the quality of the course and I appreciate the kind comments which I will of course pass on to the team.

Many thanks again

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Having stayed previously at the Ansty Macdonald, I had really high hopes for this hotel. It was for pleasure this time, so booked a junior suite. To start with it took over an hour just to book the room, being told that reservations would call be back in 10 mins, but didnt bother... there was no other department answering either, so I rang Macdonald Ansty where they were as efficient as ever, and put me onto the main reservations, unfortunatley it was now gone 7pm and all departments were closed. I eventually got through to the Botley rececptionist who made the booking for me.

The hotel was modern, tired but clean. My room was a total disappointment, for a junior suite, it cost £221.00 per night B&B, and I felt my money would have been better off spent at a Premier Inn! The bed was small, the room very average, and certainly not what I would call a suite, I complained and asked to be moved to the large suite, this was the biggest room in the hotel at £245 per night, at least the bed was a decent size. The staff at reception didnt seem very helpful, and despite my disappointment with the junior suite, refused to make any reduction on the price of the large suite as it was Boat Show Week...

That afternoon we went down to the Boat Show, the hotel was a little further out than we had thought for convenient travel. However upon returning to the hotel, we decided to go into the bar/lounge to have a night cap... this was simply dreadful, the furniture was old and tatty (modern old and tatty!) I would have been better going to a local pub! The prices were also very high, £7.50 for a large glass of wine... however I wouldnt have minded this if at least the decoration and comfort was better.. all in all although I had planned to stay for 2 nights, I left the next morning feeling really let down (I had so highly recommended the Macdonald hotels - thinking they would all be of the same standard!) ... I didnt bother with breakfast, although my partner did, and was again disappointed..

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor.

The reservations team wanted me to pass on their apologies for the delay in answering the phones. Although they are normally very efficient at dealing with all enquiries, on occasion there can be a delay as in any business, if call volumes are high and I regret this appears to have been the case when you called.

I was genuinely surprised at your comments regarding the furniture however I do appreciate your feedback and I will certainly speak with the Head Housekeeper regarding this to review any pieces that are in need of refurbishment.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Botley
Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
6 mi away
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#20 of 25 in Southampton

Been to Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton? Share your experiences!