“Sunday lunch 5/1/14”

The Horns
Price range: US$19 - US$50
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: From the outside this picturesque 15th century building could be any local, traditional pub. However, here at The Horns Pub Restaurant in Otford, Sevenoaks we have created a venue for all occasions. Pop in for a drink and choose from our local beers, wines or indulge in our exquisite seasonal restaurant menu whilst dining in charming and relaxed surroundings. Whether you’re with friends, family or colleagues our passionate kitchen team continue to strive to create and cook mouth watering dishes to suit you. From Kentish born & bred venison, local game and produce to buying from independent South-Coast fisherman we endeavour to bring you the freshest produce from across the land.
Reviewed 6 January 2014

With the Christmas break drawing to a close and wanting to see friends in Sussex and us living in London, we decided to meet halfway at the Horns based on the superb reviews it had received, both on here and elsewhere.

I made an internet booking; was telephoned next day, so far so good.

We turned up on time, were given the best table in the restaurant, situated in the window, all looking very promising.

The menu looked good, lots of tasty (mostly seafood.) starters and for the mains; a choice of three roasts, two fish and the obligatory veggie option. Keeping it simple, no frou frou & no frills, brilliant.

Ben Howard was playing quietly on the stereo and we were feeling pretty content.

Alas, it was not to last. The MOR cd that had been playing was replaced with one of Christmas classics, on a loop. (Loudly.)

Our friends arrived with their 7yo, and surprisingly she wasn't offered a cushion to help her sit a little higher at the table

We ordered some water for the table and soft drinks and were given some sort of nasty cheapo cola, I got a diet rather than a full fat, and, pointing this out the offending glass was taken away with a sigh rather than an apology. The water never did materialise.

The starters were pretty good, my friend ordered the soup, but was not given any bread, which was a first.

The roasts were pretty tragic; the 'haunch of venison' was merely two overcooked slices and the shoulder of lamb similar. The roasties were undercooked and it just wasn't what you'd expect, even for £15 a head. (The fish on all accounts was okay.)

Ordering the bill we noted the 10% service charge; and for the first time in my life decided not to argue, the staff being so feckless, we surmised we might be there all day.

The final bill came to £101 for 5 set menus and 6 soft drinks.

I'd be interested to know if the Horns has recently changed hands, or has a new manager. I cannot understand how this can be the same place I read about. (If only I had seen the most recent reviews, rather than the highest rated.)

5  Thank oi_gibo

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We ate at Horns last night with another couple. We have eaten here before and generally it is OK - it's a little pricey for pub grub. The welcome last night was non existent. The fire in the bar wasn't lit. We felt as though we were an inconvenience and in the way. There was another table of 4 who, like us, struggled to get any service. There was only one member of staff in evidence. Bread was not served at the start of the meal. My friend's fish and chips had to be sent back as the batter was all soggy and uncooked (probably cooked in oil that wasn't hot enough) - subsequently her fish came back crispy but overcooked inside. It wasn't served with peas and tartar sauce as advertised on the menu. My steak, chips (overcooked oven ones) and salad (a measly piece of lettuce) was pretty ordinary except the price at around £18. Our other friend had the sea bass fillet which arrived with some sort of brown muck on top. It looked very unappetising. My husband said to the waiter when he cleared the plates that it was a very disappointing meal which didn't get much of a response. A decent restaurant would have been apologetic and not have charged us for the fish and chips. At £95 for just 4 main courses, 2 pints, 2 glasses of wine, 2 bottles of tonic water, 2 coffees and 1 tea it was definitely overpriced and not worth it. We will not be going back again.

2  Thank bonstermonster
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Well what can I say.
We have just returned from The Horns from our 8 oc booking (time now 9 15)
We arrived to find the door locked !
Upon knocking the bolt was drawn back but the door was not even opened for us.
We were seated & were the only people there so service should have been superb.
alas not
The usual bread was not offered & during the meal we didn't see anybody to order another drink from.
The food was as usual excellent.
The owners were not there tonight so perhaps that had something to do with it.
If this had been my first visit I would have been very disappointed
We left the restaurant after 2 courses & it wasn't even 9oc .
As we left the door was bolted behind us.
What a shame they took our booking earlier that evening when they obviously wanted an early night !!

3  Thank Michelle E
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were with friends out walking and popped in for lunch, we hadn't' booked but were lucky.
Menu good but not shown any wine list even though interest expressed also not offered any water.
One meal was completely wrong fish and chips instead of rib-eye steak( even though steak ordered medium to well done??) When steak did turn up rare to medium!! We had to order coffees??
Waiter was efficient but not forthcoming about specials or any other things the pub had to offer.
We were wearing walking clothes perhaps not the type of customer this waiter wanted.
MN

Reviewed 19 November 2013

6 of us met for a family reunion of mixed age. I was early but the staff let us in and made coffee as we waited for the rest. I had driven a 100 miles to be there. Wheelchair access was OK for an old building but the staff were very helpful.
The food was very good for posh pub grub. Lovely poached pears and goat's cheese. I had garlic prawns which were special. The home made soup also went down a treat. The venison steaks and the calf's liver were beautifully cooked and the portions were large-too much for me!!
Puds were also interesting as was the wine to accompany those able to imbibe.
The staff as I have indicated were great. Nothing was too much trouble and they had a great sense of humour.
I'll go back!