“Fantastic Fish Friday!”

Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Wivenhoe
Price range: US$32 - US$64
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The contemporary brasserie is ideal for get-togethers with family and friends as well as for business gatherings. Our expert chefs concentrate on using the best of British produce to create a trational, seasonal british menu. Our Sunday menu features with pride our award winning 'Best Roast Dinner' selection, making the brasserie the perfect venue to while away lazy days. We have a special children's menu designed to offer the same quality food as all of our menus. There's space outside for some fresh air after lunch and young artists can enjoy colouring their own version of Wivenhoe House during the meal. High chairs are also available.
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

My first visit to wivenhoe house and it exceeded my expectations. Food was excellent and the staff very attentive, friendly and warm.

First Friday of every month is their fish Friday where for starter you choose from their fish buffet which included oysters, lobster and all manner of seafood. For main course there are four or so fish dishes and a couple of meat dishes. We had sea bass and fish and chips and both were superb. Dessert was good as well. This plus a glass of prosecco for a very reasonable fixed price.

We will be going back.

Alex B, Manager at Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the brasserie. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our Fish Friday event which has now become a regular fixture in the diary. Our next event is on 2 June and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

We have now visited this restaurant a few times during our stay at the wivenhoe. We have always had impeccable food it's prepared and cooked to a very high standard. We recently had a three course set menu which was included in our nights stay and a wonderful breakfast in the morning, nothing is to much trouble the kitchen even prepared an extra side order of mash potato too.
We can't wait to visit again and try something different on the menu.

Date of visit: May 2017

Dear Elaine

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the brasserie. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and your meal. We look forward to welcoming you back to Wivenhoe House soon

Reviewed 29 April 2017

I don't think I have ever been served with a piece of fish that small for my main course. It was accompanied by six of the very smallest clams ever. They were so small they added nothing in terms of flavour. I started with a Caesar salad. The dressing had no real punch. When I actually found the ONE anchovy fillet it was a vinegar pickled and a cheap one at that. Whilst only one anchovy the strong vinegar mixed with the dressing was not pleasant. They had actually cut the prawns in half to save on ingredients. My wife had a very good souffle.
It calls itself fine dining but it is a very long way short. Whilst we were there there was a constant stream of staff taking food, dishes and wine to other rooms. In front of the servery they were even washing up. The whole ambiance of a nice dining area was destroyed by staff milling around with everything from table linen to dirty crocks and.
If the prices were low some of this would be OK but in my experience every dish we had was comparatively overpriced. Our experience was not enhanced by a very irate couple complaining at the next table and walking out just as their desserts arrived! We have not eaten here for a while and we really hoped it had improved. It is after all in a lovely setting. Really poor portions and not brilliant cooking means we are unlikely to return.

Date of visit: April 2017
Alex B, Manager at Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the brasserie. I am sorry that on this occassion it would seem we did not live up to our usual high standards. I will be sharing the comments regarding the food with the Chef and I will be talking to the front of house team about the service on this day.

If you do choose to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can personally oversee your reservation

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has good staff, good food and is a nice place for a meal. I would have liked a few more menu choices and this is why I give 4 stars rather than 5.

Date of visit: April 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of the brasserie. We are always looking to improve our menu offering and have recently introduced more choice especially for vegetarians and vegans. We hope to see you back in the brasserie soon

Reviewed 26 April 2017

I was at a function on 22nd April 2017 with friends. We had to return 3 beef meals and one was not eaten. The beef was very tough, difficult to cut and chew. the meals were returned and the chef agreed the meat was not perfect. We were offered another main course, but there was no more beef, very disappointing. The replacement meal was very small and only warm. Vegetables were also not very hot. This was a gift for me and my husband . I was embarrassed at the cost of the meal. Not a great evening, very disappointing.

Date of visit: April 2017
Alex B, Manager at Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2017

Dear Maz

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience at Wivenhoe House. I have spoken with the colleagues from the Conference and Events department who ran this event and they are in touch with the event organiser regarding the evening.

I have also spoken with the Chef and it would seem, that on this particular evening the beef purchased, was not up to the high standards we require and we are following this up with our butcher.

We hope that you would be willing to give us another try and should you wish to return for a Sunday lunch please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can personally oversee your reservation