“Fabulous Fish Friday”

Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Wivenhoe
Price range: US$32 - US$64
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The contemporary brasserie is ideal for get-togethers with family and friends as well as for business gatherings. Our expert chefs concentrate on using the best of British produce to create a trational, seasonal british menu. Our Sunday menu features with pride our award winning 'Best Roast Dinner' selection, making the brasserie the perfect venue to while away lazy days. We have a special children's menu designed to offer the same quality food as all of our menus. There's space outside for some fresh air after lunch and young artists can enjoy colouring their own version of Wivenhoe House during the meal. High chairs are also available.
Reviewed 5 August 2017

The first Friday of every month is 'Fish Friday' so we decided to give it a try.

The buffet starter had a very wide choice of seafood. (The beetroot cured salmon was delightful.) For mains my wife had sea bass, and I had hake with chorizo. Both were excellent. Finished off with summer pudding and all washed down with a decent bottle of prosecco.

The service was good and the staff friendly. The whole evening could not be faulted.

Date of visit: August 2017
Alex B, Manager at Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear Keith

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of the brasserie. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our Fish Friday night which is proving to be very popular.

We hope to see you back in the brasserie soon

Reviewed 2 August 2017

Booked through Opentable the night before, we visited a couple of Fridays ago. There was a function in the lower hall near the brasserie but this did not affect any service. The service was fanstastic! We are locals to the area, however, we've only been here a couple of times and it isn't well worth while. The food was outstanding, I had leek and potatoe soup to start which was really tasty, we did keep having bread brought to our table which we didn't ask for, but ate! And then I had the sweet potatoe and goats cheese Wellington for main. The waiter recommended a side dish (as he said the Wellington would not be enough on its own) and he was correct. I ordered side of veg and shared with hubby (who had steak). We then had cheeseboard for dessert and a tia Maria coffee and baileys coffee!!!! We also had a bottle of red, a lemonade and beer, plus still water, and were very surprised and pleased with the cost! Lovely venue and a lovely night out. Am going in October for a halloweeen meal and in November for a wedding, so am looking forward to this.

Date of visit: July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the brasserie. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience and we hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Stayed for one night at the hotel in which the Brasserie is the establishments restaurant.
Both of us had three course dinners with wine.
Starters were very good, mains were so- so, one dessert was very nice but my lemon meringue wasn't very good at all. After being asked if everything was ok I had to have a little moan about my dessert. The manager was very good about it and took the said item off the bill without question.
Service in the restaurant is very good. Food is brought out quickly.
The Brasserie hasn't got much atmosphere but it is in the new extension to Wivenhoe House Hotel.
Would I eat there again? Yes. And we did.
Breakfast was very good with a good selection of fare. Especially nice was the yogurt! Delicious.

Date of visit: July 2017
Alex B, Manager at Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the brasserie. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed the experience and that the issue with dessert was dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

We hope to see you back in the brasserie and at Wivenhoe House soon

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Starters, desserts, wine and coffee were all excellent. The mains diverged: my goat's cheese and spinach Wellington lived up to our server's recommendation, but my companion's Sunday roast was disappointing, with fatty meat and a Yorkshire pudding that lacked crispness. Perhaps the kitchen team are happier with more demanding dishes, but doing the basics well is still a requirement for these culinary stars in training.

Date of visit: June 2017
Alex B, Manager at Brasserie at The Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Dear Alan

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the brasserie. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed the experience. Thank you for your comments with regards to the Sunday roast which I will ensure is followed up with our Head Chef and the supplier.

We hope to see you back in the brasserie again soon

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

I came to the brasserie to celebrate the next chapter in my and my friends university course and the brasserie definitely delivered. The food was amazing and it was interesting to try part of what i had been serving to guests for 8 months. There was a mistake with my friends main course order which was corrected and my friend received some triple-cooked chips whilst she waited. The staff were great and very attentive.

Date of visit: June 2017

Dear Lauren

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the brasserie. I am sorry to read that there was a mistake with the order but glad that the team managed to resolve this quickly.

We wish you and your friend the best with your University course and hope to see you back again soon for another celebration.